TRD off road wheels vs. TRD sport wheels vs. steelies vs. aftermarket...[poll]

View Poll Results: offroads...sports...steelies...aftermarket
Offroads 87 26.20%
Sports 73 21.99%
Steelies 27 8.13%
Aftermarket 145 43.67%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
TRD off road wheels vs. TRD sport wheels vs. steelies vs. aftermarket...[poll]

I have the steelies...

seems there are a lot of oppertunities to buy the aforementioned take off wheels here and other places (ebay & CL)

On my SR5 4x4 DC...should I consider the 16" offroads...or the 17" Sports?

Stick with the steelies?

Go aftermarket?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
DBZ 2010 is on a distinguished road

DBZ 2010's Tacoma Gallery
Why try to look like the factory TRD's? I vote for FJ TRD wheels, if you can get them.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Painted factory Steel rims

The best $10.00 I ever spent.
No issues with the TPMS at all

Here is how i did them:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html
Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the TRD offroad wheels. Not the stock TRD offroad, the ACTUAL aftermarket TRD offroad. I love em.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ 2010 View Post
Why try to look like the factory TRD's? I vote for FJ TRD wheels, if you can get them.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
dieselstaco is on a distinguished road

dieselstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 17'' Sports would look great on your ride. In fact, I even have a set you can buy!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
After-market is my choice!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselstaco View Post
I think the 17'' Sports would look great on your ride. In fact, I even have a set you can buy!
Shipping from Nevada to FL would probably serious. But you caould PM me with details and price on the wheels.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
F.J. Cruiser 17's here.
I should have added the FJ's to the poll.

They are another good option.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: RCR( Royal Canadian Regiment) INF
Name: Mike
meafordmike's Tacoma Gallery
FJ TRD gun metal 16" on my 08 sport.

In use center caps off for offroading.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
CorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
CorrectionCop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ 2010 View Post
I agree, damn those are sexy.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
Ancient or so i'm told
64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denis
64Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket. Since most aftermarket wheels are lug-centric, you won't have to deal with the stock wheel balancing issues and the haweka adapter. It sure was nice getting new rims and not having to go back several times to get the balancing perfect enough for a smooth ride. After 4 sets of tires, this 5th set was the easiest thanks to the new wheels.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Budget? Priorities?

I personally think that rims are the single easiest modification to make any vehicle look better (if they're appropriate for the vehicle of course). But if performance or practicality (for other mods) are more of a priority then stock is fine.

That being said, I'd get factory Alloys.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #18
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I like the FJ wheels, but voted aftermarket. Then again, I don't know what kind of budget you are working with.

I agree that if you are going to spend the money, get exactly what you want and be unique. Although aftermarket rims will scare off a lot of buyers when you go to sell the vehicle. At least with a set of factory rims, the buyer might not know those rims didn't come with the vehicle.

The difference in price between a 16" and 17" is only ~$15-20 per tire. I know that adds up, but it's not a significant difference. I'd be singing a different tune if we were talking $100 per tire.

Personally, it comes down to price vs. performance. I'm new to the trucking world, until now I've been driving mostly lowered street cars. I know the general rule with cars is the lighter the rim, the less power is used up turning them. Therefore, the more weight you save, the more powerful the car will feel. Not to mention the gas consumption. Forged rims are generally stronger, and often weigh less.

Does anyone know how the weight compares for the factory rims?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
Good351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to behold

Good351's Tacoma Gallery
TRD FJ aftermarket wheels. Anthracite is what I got, but the silver and black look pretty good too.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
^I hate those wheels with a passion... they look terrible like they should be a on frontier