1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 - SR5 Access 4x4 4cyl - Hi Frequency Vibration when Passing Large Trucks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tunngavik, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Aug 25, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem - I tried a search on the forums but found nothing to exactly match this.

I have what I call a low frequency vibration / hum coming from either the door seal or passenger side window (sounds like it's more he window). The only time this happens is when I am highway driving, it is windy, and either I pass or am passed on the passenger side by a semi or other large truck. As soon as the semi/truck has moved passed me the vibration / hum stops.

I suspect that it's caused by the changing air pressure when I am passing the semi but never had this problem on any other car or trucks I've driven. I'm wondering if it has something to to with the access cab suicide doors and a general lack of strength (vs a double cab and the center pillar) from this kind of setup.

While the vibration / hum is a low frequency (i.e. a deep bass tone) it vibrates / hums many times over the short period of time described above. Normally I would not be too concerned but in the worst cases of it I'm almost scared the window might resonate and then shatter (especially if this continues over the years). A family members van just did that over the summer - a semi passed them on the highway and the drivers window shattered.

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Aug 25, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    shredtacoma

shredtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Debadged with snugtop
    Camburg lift, ProComp rims, Nitto Terragrappler tires, snugtop, Flowmaster exhaust and Airraid intake
    theres a tsb for it. the dealership fixed mine for free

3. Aug 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    powdr_dayz

powdr_dayz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I've noticed a similar noise in my 2010 Double cab tacoma, especially when driving against heavy wind.

What's a TSB?

4. Aug 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    Do you have the TSB number handy?

5. Aug 25, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TSB - Technical Services Bulletin

Products Discussed in

To Top