Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help with picking out a brush guard

Old 08-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
everleet is on a distinguished road

everleet's Tacoma Gallery
help with picking out a brush guard

After coming inches from hitting a deer last night, I have come to the conclusion that a brush guard is a necessity in my area. I have looked around online and some look alright but I'm less concerned with aesthetic appeal and much more concerned with saving the front end of my truck.

Does anyone know of a good brand or use one themselves? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by everleet View Post
After coming inches from hitting a deer last night, I have come to the conclusion that a brush guard is a necessity in my area. I have looked around online and some look alright but I'm less concerned with aesthetic appeal and much more concerned with saving the front end of my truck.

I would go with a ARB bumper I've seen a few videos of people running in to tress while wheelin. With little or no damage to thier truck/suv.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Aries bush bar, and I like it. It bolts to the frame at the bottom and can take some impacts there, but there are no anchor points above the bumper so it does have some play up around the grill and lights.

You can check it out in my build thread how it looks http://www.forum.ct4wd.com/showthread.php?t=1579

After having it out on the trails it holds up pretty well, but comparing it to the after market bumpers if you want to protect yourself, get an after market bumper.

I know a few guys who have hit things (trees, deer, mustangs) with the All-Pro bumper and they and their trucks have fared really well. (I will be upgrading to either a All-Pro or Relentless fab bumper in the future). If you want protection get a bumper.

There are lots out there:
All-Pro
Relentless Fab
Shrock Works
ARB

so dependent upon the look, you got lots of choices.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
bagster is on a distinguished road
Army: dog handler
bagster's Tacoma Gallery
Ranch Hand is supposed to be one of the best brush guards. I can't see how
an off-road bumper will protect your radiator from the horn of a buck.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by everleet View Post

Last time I hit a deer with my truck, the bumper was only a minor part of the damage. The thing destroyed the front quarter panel, dented the door, broke the side view mirror, crinkled the hood and scratched the hell out of the bed. Just something to think about before you go drop upwards of $800 on an ARB bumper. You might be better off investing in some good lights so you can see them coming sooner.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
brush guards are for knocking over skicker bushes not deers/people/honda civics/small trees
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
According to this thread, ARB is plenty stout. Also, high ground clearance may cause the deer to go under your vehicle vs. over the hood and through your windshield.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...r-vs-deer.html
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
everleet is on a distinguished road

everleet's Tacoma Gallery
maybe ill just weld a cow catcher to the front of my truck