Notices

2nd Gen Running board or Tube Step

Old 08-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
localboy808 is on a distinguished road
Army:
localboy808's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Running board or Tube Step

Hey Guys,
For those that have a 2nd Gen Taco DBL Cab, I was wondering what looks better as well as provides some protection against door dings, a Tacoma Running Board or the Tacoma Tube step? I have a 2010 Silver DBL Cab and it looks like it needs something under the doors? Appreciate your input. Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
For the Retards, Im a Female
ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ToyTaco
i dont have a DC but I have a AC with westin running boards if this gives you any idea

Old 08-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I don't think either will protect from door dings, as they are not at the height of most point-of-contact. I have a DC with Long Bed and I got the Tacoma tube steps from the dealer. I thought the running board looked like crap and belongs on a '95 Suburban. I strongly believe the tube steps protect against much of the road tar and dirt that accumulate at the bottom part of your doors. Depending on the tube steps, many can help "somewhat" in protecting your door sills from off-road obstacles, but they would not take the place of adding armor underneath. Finally I think the biggest advantage is preventing a lot of wear/tear on the edges of the seats if you use the steps to get in and out of your vehicle.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about getting the nerf bars too. I'd like to see some more pics...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Avid Offroad step bars:

Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy808 View Post
Hey Guys,
For those that have a 2nd Gen Taco DBL Cab, I was wondering what looks better as well as provides some protection against door dings, a Tacoma Running Board or the Tacoma Tube step? I have a 2010 Silver DBL Cab and it looks like it needs something under the doors? Appreciate your input. Thanks
The running boards and tube steps look great below the doors.

However, IMO...they get in the way of getting in the truck. You either have to step over them and step into the truck...or, step on them...than slouch down to enter the truck so your head doesn't hit the top of the door opening.

Also...if you are just opening the door to reach in and get or put something in the truck...they again are in the way, IMO. I had this problem with a Tahoe I used to own. Although the tube steps did help entry to the 'Hoe because the door opening is large.

The rock sliders are a whole different animal. And if you do a lot of off roading, they could prove to be a valuable asset.

Having said all of this...I'd love to have a set of tube steps on my DC...but I'm not sure I want to give up practical entry for looks. YMMV
Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
hunter 4x4 nerf

Old 08-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
localboy808 is on a distinguished road
Army:
localboy808's Tacoma Gallery
Great info! Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Toyota running boards (double cab boards on my access cab).

I hate tube steps and I think the running boards look better IMO. They will protect againest door dings because they stick out farther than the door. That's one of the main reasons I got them. I don't use them as a step to get in, but I do use them as a step to wash the truck roof/back windows (I'm short).
Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
For the Retards, Im a Female
ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
can i take your truck please and thankyou
hey money talks lol
Old 08-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking for something for the wife, she thinks getting into the truck is difficult since it sits so high...any suggestions? running boards or tube steps or sliders? I have a 2011 DC tacoma sport MGM for the color and it is all stock right now.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
IslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reggie
IslandBoy71's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about getting rid of mine. Don't really care for them and I never use them.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd Gen Running board or Tube Step-truckside.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery

I love my running boards, they're just perfect.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about

2010 trd sport's Tacoma Gallery
smittybilt tube steps

I installed the smittybilt tube steps for my doublecab. As previously stated, they kinda get in the way a little for me but I got them for my daughter. Shes ecstatic about being able to get in and out of the truck by herself and I like the look. Plus it matches my bull bar. I got the black so that when they start rusting I can repaint them.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
I'm looking for something for the wife, she thinks getting into the truck is difficult since it sits so high...any suggestions? running boards or tube steps or sliders? I have a 2011 DC tacoma sport MGM for the color and it is all stock right now.

same here. not sure which way to go.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Tube steps for me right now, but they'll be replaced with sliders at some point.