LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

garage door button with pictures

Old 08-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
spyshot is on a distinguished road
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
garage door button install with pictures

i wanted to put a button in the blank spot next to the A-Trac button below the HVAC controls. this button activates my garage door using my wireless remote. i didn't find any posts on putting a switch in this location, so i figured I'd post some pics if someone else was interested in doing that.

i bought a push button switch: B Electrical Inc Model: GSW-22. I recommend this exact model because it worked perfect, you'll see why later.

start by removing the 4X4 switch knob then pull the 4X4 shroud out. should pull straight out. i used two needle nose pliers to grab behind where the knob was and pull. then reach your fingers behind the HVAC controls and push on the clips that hold the housing in. that pops the left side of the HVAC off and the right comes off with some more tweaking and pulling.
I put my fingers in the hole above the blank and felt around till i could feel the clip holding the blank in on the top. and after some pushing it popped out.

as you can see, there is a lot of plastic on the back side of the blank. i used a dremel and other tools at my disposal to remove the excess plastic in order to make room for the switch.

here's what it looks like after the cutting. make sure you do not cut off the clips. these will be used to hold the blank and switch back in when you're done.

every garage door remote is different. you'll have to open yours up and determine where to connect your wires to complete the circuit when the new switch in used. here's the circuit board out of my remote.

then i took the button covers out of the remote and here is my completed setup.

you'll need to drill a hole in the blank and insert the switch. notice how perfectly it fits? the only thing i did was i bent the brass arms inward a little bit, to allow the clips on the blank to flex in order for it to be inserted back into the dash.

here is the finished project. be sure to do several tests along the way. you don't want to repeat any of this if you don't have to. after putting the blank back i tucked the remote under the dash just to the right of the steering column. easy access in order to change the battery when needed.

helper is optional....
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
Dude... killer job. I have a background in garage doors so to all you out there who attempt this make SURE you use the right compatible remote.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
white91formula is on a distinguished road
white91formula's Tacoma Gallery
why not just put the remote in the overhead console... theres a spot for it withi a button and everything...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Damn nice
Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write-up, but my favorite part was the helper!! What a cute little guy!!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white91formula View Post
why not just put the remote in the overhead console... theres a spot for it withi a button and everything...
Not all tacoma's have that. I believe if you have the TRD package with overhead compass, you don't have the garage door opener built in.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
Very nice job, and great write up! it looks like your little guy was happy that the job was done right!! I hope he wasn't too tough of a supervisor!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTtoolman View Post
Not all tacoma's have that. I believe if you have the TRD package with overhead compass, you don't have the garage door opener built in.

correct.....compass/temp>garage door button

on that note, i'm trading my sunglass holder for a garage door button...lol
Old 08-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white91formula View Post

Because my garage door opener doesn't work in that little "one size fits most" compartment. This is a pretty cool write up - thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work and I also like the assistant. I wonder though, I've seen quite a few garage door opener mods here in the short time I've been reading the forum. Some are very inventive, but wouldn't it be easier and cleaner to use a Flash2Pass opener? See http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/ It takes about 5 minutes to install.
Terry
Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
That "garage door button" is known as "Homelink." It should be compatible with most contemporary garage door openers.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
The baby made the thread. LOL
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGato View Post
That "garage door button" is known as "Homelink." It should be compatible with most contemporary garage door openers.
I got a gentex homelink rear view mirror...just haven't had the time to install it...
Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGato View Post
05+s w/o TRD have a garage door opener holder in the center roof console instead of the compass. the garage door button at least i was referring to was this, not mirror buttons
Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #16
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTtoolman View Post
that's correct. i have an overhead compass and two map lights.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #17
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Nice work and I also like the assistant. I wonder though, I've seen quite a few garage door opener mods here in the short time I've been reading the forum. Some are very inventive, but wouldn't it be easier and cleaner to use a Flash2Pass opener? See http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/ It takes about 5 minutes to install.
Terry
if it's anything like homelink, i have another vehicle with homelink that would not work on this opener. plus all this cost was a $3 switch. it was kind of fun too!
adam
Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #18
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OldManTan" View Post
Very nice job, and great write up! it looks like your little guy was happy that the job was done right!! I hope he wasn't too tough of a supervisor!
not too bad at all. Easy way to keep Brendan entertained for a little while.

adam
Old 08-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Verynice job and use of the switch location. Gotta love Bumbo chairs!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Well done!