Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear recovery points

Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
AKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to behold

Name: RETODD
AKTACO420's Tacoma Gallery
Rear recovery points

I wanna know were people are hooking a recovery line and if you installed a strong recovery point on the rear of the truck? Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if i didnt already have a hitch hook, i'd get me one of these....still may....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...-shackles.html
Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
AKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to behold

Name: RETODD
AKTACO420's Tacoma Gallery
My problem is I have no hitch I'm looking for alternate locations but I would probably be better off just getting a hitch
Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ahhhh.....gotcha. well if you ever want to tow, the hitch would be better than the bumper and give you the ability to use a receiver shackle. aside from that, i dont know of another one back there
Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
4x4x4 is on a distinguished road
4x4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Hey

So I have a stock 4 cylinder 4x4... I have not put a class III hitch on... So there is no place to hook up a recovery strap too in the rear of the truck?

I also hear it is bad to pull using the front recovery point... That it is bad to pull with the truck in reverse... hard on the drivetrain?

Is the only option to get a class III hitch or just keep passing stranded drivers?

just a pic from the first snowfall we got here... we have much more now...
Old 12-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
Hey

So I have a stock 4 cylinder 4x4... I have not put a class III hitch on... So there is no place to hook up a recovery strap too in the rear of the truck?

I also hear it is bad to pull using the front recovery point... That it is bad to pull with the truck in reverse... hard on the drivetrain?

Is the only option to get a class III hitch or just keep passing stranded drivers?

just a pic from the first snowfall we got here... we have much more now...
I HAVE THE EXACT TRUCK BUT AN 09, I HAVE PULLED SEVERAL PEOPLE OUT OF THE DITCH WITH THE FRONT RECOVERY POINT AND REVERSE IN 4lo. NO PROBS YET. BUT I DID RECENTLY GET A HITCH AND WILL BE USING THAT NOW INSTEAD. ARE YOU CONSIDERING GETTING A HITCH AT ALL ANYWAY?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the same situation. I was either going to go with an aftermarket off-road bumper or check with a local fab shop to see if they can weld something to the frame.

Also I have only done one recovery with the front hook and I would rather not do it again. Driving in 4lo, in reverse, tugging on a snatch strap, is not something I felt comfortable doing but it got the job done.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
I HAVE THE EXACT TRUCK BUT AN 09, I HAVE PULLED SEVERAL PEOPLE OUT OF THE DITCH WITH THE FRONT RECOVERY POINT AND REVERSE IN 4lo. NO PROBS YET. BUT I DID RECENTLY GET A HITCH AND WILL BE USING THAT NOW INSTEAD. ARE YOU CONSIDERING GETTING A HITCH AT ALL ANYWAY?
If you use the correct front point and do a snatch properly there is no problem. The issue comes in when people think that they can pull a completely sunk or weighted out truck with a strap and just gun it! That being said I stick with 2K rpm or less with a 20 foot lead to build momentum and just do light snatches. I always use D-rings properly rated and always put in the time to make sure a path is clear and the truck is ready to go first time.

I have had to use the front point to recover and go in reveres, just used a slow gear and stayed around 1500 rpm but I would not do this as a first choice. I also make sure that I am not trying to pull out trucks that are insane heavy! I keep under my rated tow all ways.

On the rear there have been a few guys up here that have just put d-rings on what they found to be solid frame points or put straps around the frame and done recover, however I have heard stories of bad alignment the next day or vibrations when driving.

I am sure this is stuff everyone already knows but just thought I would throw my thoughts in. We do tons of snow recovery up here since the tow trucks cant make it to our area very often. So we try and do our best to help the CA people who know nothing.

Best ever was a toyota tercel that put the chains on the REAR TIRES and then reved up to 8K and was confused to why he wasnt moving....
Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post

Do not pull people out in reverse. It is no good for the drivetrain. I would only use this as a last resort option. Reverse is not low and the trucks weren't engineered to pull loads backwards.

Some TW members just watched a guy blow up his diff pulling a guy out in reverse.

A safe rear recovery point without a hitch is non-existent. Either buy a hitch or buy a new rear bumper or have something fabbed up. You have all the bolt holes in the rear of the frame so getting something fabbed up would be easy. The only issue with that is you would be pulling from one frame rail and I wouldn't suggest that.
Yeah...a built gmc w/ aftermarket axles blew the front diff trying to pull a POS cherokee at URE
Old 12-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
fjm0008 has a spectacular aura aboutfjm0008 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jack
fjm0008's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a Class III brand new for 108. on EBay, or a Curt or Hidden Hitch for about 150-160. The aftermarket hitches are good quality and will work for Towing, and for your needs. I bought the Curt Receiver and it is great.