1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership friend my ECU

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bdub85, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Aug 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    bdub85

bdub85 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    I just got back from the Toyota dealership to get the routine maintenance done, and they fried my ECU trying to flash it with the recall update. I assume it was the brake override feature. They got me a free rental car. Has this happened to anyone?

2. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    damn, good you are on warranty

3. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Isn't that just so rich it gives ya the runs!?:eek:

4. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Unlike others I 4x4 with mine.
    I do not want the engine to cut out if I hit the gas pedal and brake at the same time

I pass on the flash

5. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    whether on warranty or not Toyota (stealership) fried his ECU...since they did the reflash they should buy you a new ECU...they ain't cheap...

6. Aug 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    His ECU failed immediately (lucky), if it dies week later with out warranty , owner will have to prove it that it was ECU re-flash that killed

7. Aug 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    bdub85

Member:
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    They are giving me a brand new ECU that will be installed tomorrow. They would have to cover it either way even if I was out of warranty because it was their fault. Also, it would be covered under the recall. (My mom works for a Toyota distributor) I'm going to complain tomorrow about having them cover the service bill though. lol

8. Aug 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    at the same time if the owner did absolutely no electrical, performance mods, the fault would still fall under Toyota...he would be able to show paperwork and prove that toyota did a reflash within a weeks time...

any any instance Toyota would have to prove that the owner did something (electrical and/or performance) to fry the ECU...they also need documented proof on Toyotas side that it was the owners fault and not the technician/dealership...

Toyota could connect a scanguage tool to try and pull up codes but if the ECU is fried it won't work...

it works both ways but in his instance...either the technician did something wrong...or there is a error in the Re-Flash program...

you could very well drive off the lot get a mile down the road and then the ECU fried...is it your fault, NO...what was the last thing done to the truck, Re-Flash by Toyota...can the owner prove it, Sure: paperwork...paperwork is your friend...keep it and hold onto it for the entire time you have owned your vehicle...i say this cause if you warranty is done and you get a re-flash, TSB, and/or maintenance work done at Toyota by their technician and they don't do the job correctly (fried ECU, lug nuts not tightened down correctly, oil plug not tightened down correctly, no oil in the engine, etc) that paperwork will prove that your innocent and show that its Toyota/stealerships fault...Toyota/stealership will have to pay for the repairs, damage, and any necessary compensation for the problems that they have caused you...

9. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    bdub85

Member:
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    Just picked up my Taco from the stealership. Well at least I got a brand new ECU out of it.

10. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

11. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    bdub85

Member:
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    I wonder if the ECU is any different (better) then the one I had.

12. Aug 28, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    it its the 2009-2010 Tacoma the ECU and pin configuration is different...that's why the X-1 can't work on those trucks unless your ready to cut and splice...

but glad to hear they got you a new ECU and your trucks up and running...

Products Discussed in

To Top