1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brakes. Why drums?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Neural, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Aug 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    honestly the cost wouldn't be much higher seeing as the FJ Cruiser shares the same rear and as ours...not to mention every other truck/suv that Toyota makes has rear discs accept the Tacoma (Rav4, 4Runner, Sequoia, Tundra, FJ Cruiser)...

another way for Toyota to save money...is have 1 standard lug pattern for all their trucks/suvs...why would you put a 5 lug pattern on the X-Runners and Pre-Runners/4x4 all have 6 lug pattern...stupid if you ask me...

2. Aug 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Well when I bought the truck I asked the salesperson that question and he told me that it's good to have a front disc/rear drum setup for towing?? Idk if he knew what he was talking about though lol

3. Aug 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    if that was the case why didn't they put drums on the rear of Tundras...:confused:

that salesmen is dumber than hell...he should be working at GM/Chevy dealership downtown Hilo, instead of working at Toyota...lol

4. Aug 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    You can choose between the following two answers, or a combination of both:

A) Marketing. At a certain price, consumers expect disc brakes whether they need them or not, especially if your competition put them on theirs to satisfy the boulevard cruisers.

B) Another 1,000 lbs of curb weight, plus the added load capacity, not to mention the requirements of the SUV that shares its chassis and is even heavier.

Car companies do lots of things that have nothing to do with what's cheapest or what's best.

5. Aug 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    this is changing actually they have made disc brakes for the semi trucks. and are coming into play more recently they stop the truck alot faster and smoother than drums. (diesel mechanic/student)

6. Aug 28, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    beachbumberry

beachbumberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    leveling kit, american racing rims, push bar, nerf bars
    even with a disc brake, you will still have a drum style parking brake inside the rotor itself. my expedition and 94 camry wagon both were set up that way

7. Aug 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    Neural

Neural [OP] Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Access Cab BSP
    Thank you for all the info. I'm glad I asked on this. Was a bit odd to me at first, but the reasoning for the drum brakes makes sense.

8. Aug 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    drums are waaay cheaper to replace than a rear caliper with a drum park brake inside. ill take drum brakes over discs any day.

9. Aug 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    orvis

orvis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off road
    A drum brake is lighter than a disc brake that provides the same breaking power, and with the light rear end that is on the tacoma you want as little unsprung weight as possible. The FJ 4runner and tundra are all much heavier in the rear than a tacoma, so they can run heavier brakes without worrying about wheel hop and other problems that come with too much unsprung weight

10. Aug 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    chopper

chopper ky taco

Member:
    First Name:
    chop
    stanton,kentucky
    Vehicle:
    05 taco reg cab 4x4
    dura tracs, debadged, weathertech floormats, removed mudflaps,black paint wheels,k&n air intake.
    Well.....I know they are a bastard to change.

11. Aug 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Isn't that why we have EBD (electronic brake force distribution)

which IMO doesnt really work LOL. i feel like the front brakes are taking all the beating...plus my brake pedal feels so mushy everytime i need to stop i already have the pedal as low as it can go, everyday im driving on a road where the speed limit is 60 and i have to switch to the center lane to make a left into a neighborhood...going from 60/65-0 i feel like my brakes are crap since i have the brake pedal to the floor.

And they dont even squeal, i only have 42K miles! Wtf.

12. Aug 29, 2010 at 5:03 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    So was my '94 Rodeo...but none of my 4-wheel disc brake cars have been (Integra, Maxima, VW Rabbit). THAT set-up would definitely be more expensive than a simple drum! There are a couple of designs that implement a parking brake through the caliper.

Why not do it for Rodeo and the Tacoma??...the obvious discrimator seems to be 'mass', or size of vehicle. It may be a disc parking brake just isn't strong enough for bigger vehicles? I know you have to generate a lot more brake force (hydraulic pressure) for a disk brake as opposed to drum...that's why drum-disk conversions fail if you don't also replace master cylinder, proportioning valve and brake pedal moment arm.

13. Aug 29, 2010 at 5:19 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I'm not positive, but I don't think my Tacoma has EBD...just ABS. The braking force is biased heavily to the front because the vehicles mass during braking shifts there. The rear brakes just don't do much work even carrying a load in the bed. ABS detects when a rear wheel starts to lock and it reduces brake pressure.

I've had some pretty hard stops, even carrying about 900lbs in the back on hard-pack (to see how the brakes handled it), and the front's never wanted to lock...only the rears. I was really impressed, not by the stopping distance maybe but how controllable the stops were.

Stopping a trailer they might come more into play, but if it's a very heavy one I'm gonna want trailer brakes anyway so I'm not that worried.

14. Aug 29, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Accoding to this website
    http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43857/article.html
    it's all about production cost. As buddywh1 so well stated in the last post, the front brakes do the lion share of the braking work so essentially the rear drums are there for backup. My truck is on its third set of front pads at 90,000mi while the original rear pads are still at 70%. That says it all.

15. Aug 29, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeahhh supposedly we are supposed to have standard (before the star safety system on the 09+) EBD, BA (Brake Assist), and ABS.

I can definitely notice the BA working and ABS. But not so much the EBD.

16. Aug 29, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    X2

17. Aug 29, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Batman2199

Batman2199 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Fort Worth Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRDSport SR5
    K&N Filter and CAI
    One reason that I have not seen mentioned yet (maybe I missed it) is that Drums have much better clamping/holding power once you are stopped. This may not seem too important initially but if you are off-roading and get on a hill, then something goes wrong, you don't want to end up sliding or creeping down the hill while you are working on getting that wench tied off. ;)

18. Aug 30, 2010 at 5:09 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    as said: the main reason for rear drums is lower cost. Dunno about now, but Honda was still using rear drums on Civics (non Si) as of a few yrs ago. Also, it's a "light" truck with almost no weight on the back end- it's doubtful that rear discs would make any difference in stopping.

Not all vehicles have the separate drum parking brake with rear discs; some actually move the caliper with cables.

19. Aug 30, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    beachbumberry

beachbumberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    leveling kit, american racing rims, push bar, nerf bars

my expedition had rear discs with a drum style parking brake... substantially bigger than a tacoma

20. Aug 30, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Piqua, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRDsport 4x4 DC
    sadly, I've only put Husky Liners in it thus far - tend to blow all my cash on my bikes and guitars.
    The disc brake systems on a class 8 truck are an option, but rarely see them in comparison to all wheel drum systems.......alot of the business class trucks run disc brakes, but as far as class 8 - not nearly as popular due to the expense of the option as well as expense to repair. Rotors alone cost in the $125 range, where typical drums ( 16.5X7 ) are $55-$85 -- and pad kits are twice the price over shoe kits as well. In all honesty, drum brake systems have been around for a LONG time -- it's hard to improve on that kind of ingenuity -- other than enhanced performance, there's not really much more benefit with disc systems, if any; as they cost so much more to maintain/repair and the parts longevity is usually less.

Products Discussed in

To Top