1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

buying used...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MaxPower, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Aug 28, 2010 at 4:35 AM
    MaxPower

MaxPower [OP] Truck Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Cezar
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Taco TRD Sport
    i really wanted to buy new, but buying used is an option. my dad bought one used in 95 and drove it about 80K miles all over Europe before selling it, and it drove like a champ to the day he got rid of it.

is there anything specific is should look for or ask when it comes to buying pre-owned Tacoma's? such as recalls and various maintenance that should have been done?

2. Aug 28, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    There are a lot of guys here that call provide quality info on these trucks. It is very important however that you provide a year range for them to chime in properly. each generation of vehicle will have different things to be considered.

PS- I am not ne of those guys.....

3. Aug 28, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    scullcrusher

scullcrusher scullcrusher

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma sr5
    3inch lift
    ive owned 4 4runners 1 new
    and 9 tacos 1 new
    whats that tell you?
    scullcrusher

4. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    MaxPower

MaxPower [OP] Truck Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Cezar
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Taco TRD Sport
    i wouldn't want to go any older than '06.

5. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Why the Tacoma first gen was the most reliable Tacoma made.

6. Aug 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    MaxPower

MaxPower [OP] Truck Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Cezar
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Taco TRD Sport
    newer ones have more room, and i like the aesthetics of them better.

gonna go see if i can find any and testdrive some used ones today. i want a DCLB, but i am also considering a extended cab.

7. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Ya I would want a double

8. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    JML50

JML50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought an 02 extended cab used and put 110k on it with only putting in gas and oil. I just bought an 07 DC Sport and have had no problems and dont expect any. Just make sure you test drive it and look at it real close. You can kind of get a feel for how the previous owner took care of it by the shape its in. If the trucks appearance was neglected chances are regular maintenance was neglected as well.

9. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Personally after reading some of the things I've seen people say they do with their Tacoma on this site, I'd be hesitant to buy a used Tacoma.

10. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    When I was looking to buy, most used Taco's were only slightly less costly than buying new... These trucks hold there value very well. For me it was better to buy new and only paid a little more than a used truck, plus the new Taco's are NEW and do not have issues associated with previous vehicle ownership. Good luck

11. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Not always, some people do wheel their rigs and take better care of them than most people ever would. Some pinstripes and a few dings doesn't show the condition of the rig. Actually I've found the opposite true usually... when a vehicle looks "too clean" usually they're trying to mask some mechanical problem... at least in my experiance.

05+ are all pretty similar... a few things to note.
    05's had the motor mount issue, resolved by TSB and 06+

09+ changed a few things:
    - Access cab rear was re-designed (in a very bad way to most people, including myself)
    - 09's and early 10's had some issues with the JBL radios (warranty fix)
    - Added A-LSD (auto limited slip diff, using the brakes to simulate a clutch type lsd)
    - Added TRAC (traction control system using braking techniques)
    - Added A-TRAC to the TRD Off-Road (think of it as a fake wanna be reverse LSD/locker for front/rear). Off-Road also has a real e-locker on the rear same as all 05+
    - Active headrests changed per fed regulations. To a fair number of people including myself it's pretty uncomfortable and annoying... but it's the same issue with all vehicles now regardless of make.
    - 09-10 have the anthracite center on the grill
    - 11's have the new grill design with black center and honeycomb surround

There is a rear add a leaf TSB for all years (change 3 pack to 4 pack, note last leaf is a helper leaf that does not bind with the outer edges of the rest). TSB's can only be done in the 36k warranty (some exceptions have been made but don't bank on it).

Some vibrations are pretty common especially with aggressive tires... but nothing should be violently shaking the truck or such. Basically... I wouldn't be hugely concerned if you have some vibes... it's normal.

Get under the truck and look around. Look for any abnormal surface rusting for your area, look at the suspension components for leaks, bent surfaces, damage, ect.

Look at all body panels for anything that looks like it's been to a body shop (slightly missmatched colors on panels, lines not lining up good (keep in mind it's not perfect to start but it's darn close), there are no weld marks in the front end under the hood to show it's had a new front welded on ect.

If getting from a dealer get your free carfax.... they're not perfect but better than nothing.

Check the fluids you get access too to make sure the coolant is red (toyota's coolant and the only one approved to run in it for certain reasons). Also inspect for no milky color/oil/ect. Check under the oil cap for anything abnormal (sludge/ect). Some foam may be usual if it's only been doing short drives, I wouldn't allow that to drive not getting the vehicle. Check the dip stick for proper level and that the oil's been changed recently... also look for any sparkling metal shavings ect.

Inspect the tires for abnormal wear patterns for over/under inflation... side to side not wearing evenly indicating an alignment issue (possibly an expensive suspension issue or worse). If they're off-road tires you can expect some chunking and under/over inflation wear.... normal under offroad conditions.

Pretty much all of this applies to any vehicle. Tacoma's are as reliable as it gets these days for the most part (always an exception or two with any make/model of anything). You should be fine, but just go over it with a comb, expect some normal wear and that here may be one or two things you'll have to fix... and make the decision from there. Same with any used vehicle :D

12. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    ^^ Great post.

13. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    dont forget the carfox.

14. Aug 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    MaxPower

MaxPower [OP] Truck Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Cezar
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Taco TRD Sport
    the bank has to approve the loan, and then i am a new owner of a 2009 Tacoma DCLB...!

15. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:32 PM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Forks, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    congrats! on the upcoming '09! Good luck on the loan

About the active headrests... i find the headrest to be terrible my '10 tacoma.. but my wife's '10 forester isnt bad at all. i'm seriously considering finding different headrests that dont push my head forward like these do!

16. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    low miles...latest model year you can find. When you get it titled you lose 5k or more right there, before you even drive it off the lot. So if you find a 1 yo with 8 to 14 k on it you save massively and get the balance of the warranty to boot. Usually the low mile vehicles are sold through the huge used car dealers like Carmax. You could probably do a better person-to-person deal, but finding them is not easy.

Those sold through dealers' Certified PreOwned programs are more expensive than the standard blue-book but you get some value for them because they do a good job of reconditioning them and usually get a warranty. Consider a higher-miles CPO: up to say 35k, but I'd be leary of anything over 35k unless you knew the first owner.

17. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I looked at a lot of used Tacomas before buying my new one. The prices were so close to new that it didn't seem worth it to buy a used one. I always avoided trucks with lifts and other extensive off road mods in the off change the thing had been beaten to shit.

18. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    That's a couple good points, especially about the aftermarket 'stuff'. And they always think there's a lot of demand for it, so they are asking way over blue-book.

Even expecting average retail for used is crazy since buyers are equally unreal and want to pay average wholesale. You have to come to a compromise or it dies.

But then, there are suckers born every day...

19. Sep 1, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    MaxPower

MaxPower [OP] Truck Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Cezar
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Taco TRD Sport
    well...i am not the proud new ower of an '09 tacoma DCLB in super white! stoked to the max right now!

ended up paying a bit more than i wanted, (by 2k), but in the end, i got the exact vehicle i wanted, in the color i wanted, with the features i wanted (and then some), and didn't have to settle. i am one happy camper right now.

20. Sep 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    CONGRATS!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top