Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bye bye chrome bumper. hello color matched

Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #41
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zack
SilverTacoZack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
Just wondering how this paint job has held up for you?

Also, does anyone know if an electric random orbital sander would work good for prepping this? Can an electric ROS even be used for wet sanding?

I want to do my chrome bumper in black, but I have neither the knowledge nor the tools at the moment. But I'm not going to let that stop me (probably).
You can do plastidip if you just want it black. It worked out great for me and I have no skills at that sort of thing.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #42
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just wondering how this paint job has held up for you?

Also, does anyone know if an electric random orbital sander would work good for prepping this? Can an electric ROS even be used for wet sanding?

I want to do my chrome bumper in black, but I have neither the knowledge nor the tools at the moment. But I'm not going to let that stop me (probably).
Still holding up great. I have one little tiny rock chip but that's it. My mirrors and door handles that I painted are holding up nicely too. It's all about the prep work. Don't skimp on prep.

I used my porter cable DA (orbital) polisher/sander to sand it with some 400 grit, then wet sanded by hand with 600 grit and a dawn dish soap and water mixture.

Make sure you use Self-etching primer for the bare metal.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #43
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Still holding up great. I have one little tiny rock chip but that's it. My mirrors and door handles that I painted are holding up nicely too. It's all about the prep work. Don't skimp on prep.

I used my porter cable DA (orbital) polisher/sander to sand it with some 400 grit, then wet sanded by hand with 600 grit and a dawn dish soap and water mixture.

Make sure you use Self-etching primer for the bare metal.
Is your orbital sander electric or pneumatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTacoZack
You can do plastidip if you just want it black. It worked out great for me and I have no skills at that sort of thing.
Would that hold up here in New England with snow, salt and freezing temps? What is the process you used for the plasti dip?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 AM   #44
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zack
SilverTacoZack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Would that hold up here in New England with snow, salt and freezing temps? What is the process you used for the plasti dip?
I'm pretty sure it would hold up fine, and the awesome thing about plastidip is you can "repair" it easily if it gets torn. A few members told me they tore a few pieces of thier plastidip bumper offroading, but were able to just respray the affected areas and it was good as new again. The process was very easy, there is essentially no prep work. You just clean the bumper throughly, and then just mask around it so you don't get too much on the plastic pieces. Then you just spray a few light coats on, leaving 30 mins between to let it dry, then one final heavier coat, and then peel the masking tape off and your done. Don't even need to remove the bumper from the truck. Check my build in my sig at the bottom to see how it comes out.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #45
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Electric. It's a Porter Cable 7424 Polisher/Sander.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #46
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man! I saw you've got some 1st gen wheels too
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
Looks good man! I saw you've got some 1st gen wheels too
Not anymore. Sold them. I now have 17" Tundra/Sequoia Limited wheels.