LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bye bye chrome bumper. hello color matched

Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Bye bye chrome bumper. hello color matched

So I was browsing advance auto parts today and came across this duplicolor perfect match spray...and what do you know...they have my paint code! Sweet now I have something to do today. I bought two cans of it and some sandpaper, then headed to O'reilly auto parts to buy a quart of clear and some catalyst. I also picked up another can of the silver there since advance only had two.

Here are some pics so far. I'm waiting on the last base coat to dry then i'm going to spray the clear. The clear will be sprayed with my HVLP gun.

Enjoy. I will post more pictures when its all done.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
toojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
toojayz's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished product. Also, I always wanted to try to spray with an hvlp gun. How difficult is this? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toojayz View Post
Looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished product. Also, I always wanted to try to spray with an hvlp gun. How difficult is this? Thanks!
Its not too hard, you just have to play with the settings on the gun a little to get the right spray fan and amount of paint coming out. I usually just spray a wall or something to get it set right before I spray the piece i'm painting.

I just sprayed the first coat of clear, about 10-15 minutes flash and then the second coat goes on.

OBTW forgot to mention the steps I took for those insterested.

Take all the black trim off,

then I sanded with 400 grit on a DA sander changing paper fequently.

Then I wet sanded with 600 grit and a dawn dish soap and water mixture,

then washed it.

Then dried it off,

then wiped down with rubbing alcohol to clean any final residue.

Then I sprayed with the self etching primer, 3 light coats

Then 3 coats of base

Now spraying clear (I recommend wearing coveralls. clear gets sticky especially for hairy guys like me)

Follow all directions for proper dry/flash time.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Wish I had an hvlp gun.... Painting is fun, but prepping sucks
Old 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
toojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoojayz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toojayz's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, thanks so much for the info!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
very nice job
Old 08-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, yeah.... looks good.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
toojayz's Tacoma Gallery
1 more question, can that clear be sprayed without "reducing"? There are alot of chemicals and can be a bit confusing at times. It would suck to buy the paint/clear and screw up the mix before you even spray or worse, ruin your prep work and have to start all over again!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
picsss
Old 08-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by toojayz View Post
1 more question, can that clear be sprayed without "reducing"? There are alot of chemicals and can be a bit confusing at times. It would suck to buy the paint/clear and screw up the mix before you even spray or worse, ruin your prep work and have to start all over again!
You dont have to reduce clear, you mix a catalyst in it which activates the clear and causes it to harden. Sometimes I will mix a tiny amount of reducer in the clear to let it lay flatter but the clear seems to be laying pretty flat today (perfect temp and low humidity today)
Old 08-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Freelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to beholdFreelance is a splendid one to behold

Name: Curtis
Freelance's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet! Looks good so far man.

Would love to do the same with mine, but the Duplicolor "Color Match" for Toyota's Super White didn't match up for me when I tried my grille surround. Came out yellow at first. Then even after a second attempt the white was perfect, but still didn't match up perfectly and bugged the crap out of me. So I blasted it black and ordered a white grille from the dealer.
But would LOVE to get rid of that last bit of chrome! Thought about trading for a black bumper, but color matched would be ideal! Interested in how the final product turns out, and I give you props for the work. Just my grille surround was a bitch!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #13

Ok I just finished the clear coat. Here are pics. I'm gonna let it dry overnight and put it back on tomorrow morning.

You can see my trusty harbor freight HVLP spray gun. I have painted many cars and many pieces of furniture with that thing. Cost me $65 about 4 years ago.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
toojayz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
You dont have to reduce clear, you mix a catalyst in it which activates the clear and causes it to harden. Sometimes I will mix a tiny amount of reducer in the clear to let it lay flatter but the clear seems to be laying pretty flat today (perfect temp and low humidity today)
Cool, thanks again!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully it matches well! I tried that for my truck and it was close but you'd definitely notice the difference against the truck. I've got a superwhite though and I'm finding that white is a tough color to match!

Looks great so far!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Hopefully it matches well! I tried that for my truck and it was close but you'd definitely notice the difference against the truck. I've got a superwhite though and I'm finding that white is a tough color to match!

Looks great so far!
Its hard to get a perfect match with paint unless you paint everything at the same time. Fortunately for the bumper, the black trim is there to "break up" the difference.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
NitroCircus177 will become famous soon enough
NitroCircus177's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
Sweet! Looks good so far man.

Would love to do the same with mine, but the Duplicolor "Color Match" for Toyota's Super White didn't match up for me when I tried my grille surround. Came out yellow at first. Then even after a second attempt the white was perfect, but still didn't match up perfectly and bugged the crap out of me. So I blasted it black and ordered a white grille from the dealer.
But would LOVE to get rid of that last bit of chrome! Thought about trading for a black bumper, but color matched would be ideal! Interested in how the final product turns out, and I give you props for the work. Just my grille surround was a bitch!
try automotivetouchup.com for the paint. I used them for when I painted my grille surround. Although I have BSP it is pretty much identical to the original paint on the rest of the truck. I used the aerosol can but they have paint for a spray gun which will probably give you a much better result.

Ill have to look back to another forum topic but im pretty someone us automotive touch up on a super white bumper and it turned out really good.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
BlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlancoTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
Looking forward to the finished product!

Sub'd
Old 08-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
So when can I bring my truck up to you? haha
Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
awsome! this is def my next project. i HATE my chrome bumper