1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PLX Kiwi (OBD II display)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by danb86, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Jul 6, 2008 at 5:50 AM
    danb86

danb86 [OP] East Ender

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 Access Cab 4x4
    Anyone seen/tried the new PLX "KIWI"? (http://www.plxkiwi.com/)

It does exactly the same thing as the scan gauge with a more updated display (OLED).

I'm not exactly into the "game" aspect of getting a "high-score", but anything with Organic LED's is a go for me...

I'm getting either the scan gauge or the Kiwi at some point.

Input appreciated!:rasta:

2. Jul 6, 2008 at 6:36 AM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    I've been thinking about getting a Scangauge, also. This looks interesting, but it's twice the price of the Scangauge. For me, it doesn't merit the extra cost. You can get all of the same info and more out of the Scangauge.

My .02c

GA

3. Jul 6, 2008 at 6:41 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Nice Find..... and I was poking around on their webpage trying to see what it does (compared to the Scangauge).

Based on their website info (or I was unable to find what I was looking for) - it doesn't do as much as Scangauge does.

Although -this seems geared more towards really focusing on your gas consumption and saving gas & $$. As its specifically designed for that.

I think the Scangauge is designed for showing various data from your truck computer. You can manipulate that data into different *personal* gauges - which is neat. I wish Scangauge would get transmission temps & oil pressure readings. The reason I bought it was in hopes they'd have tranny temps available soon. It's been over a year now and still nothing.....and seems all the hoopla got snowballed.

4. Jul 6, 2008 at 6:45 AM
    danb86

danb86 [OP] East Ender

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 Access Cab 4x4
    When I looked at the KIWI's price, I too felt I could get the same info from the Scangauge...

Is the reason the Scangauge doesn't give tranny temps and oil pressure b/c the ECU doesn't report them?

5. Jul 6, 2008 at 7:37 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Looks like it would be more of a distraction. Trying to get a high "kiwi score" right up until you hit the guy in front of you. Scan gauge give more pertinant info.

6. Jul 6, 2008 at 7:53 AM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    A little too fruity for me!!!!

I'll stick with my scan-gauge.:D

7. Jul 6, 2008 at 3:24 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Damn! At $300-$400 it better save a shit load of gas to pay for itself!

Just get a scangauge to read/clear ODBII codes, RPMS, trip distances and averages, corrected speed/distance for larger tires, MPG and all the other things it does. For less than half the price.

8. Jul 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Sounds like someone's trying to make a buck off people who will try anything to get a few extra MPG. How the heck can it possibly figure out how much $$$ you saved on a trip? That's crazy talk there. Unless it has a full history of how you used to drive and then was able to compare it to how you drive after hitting their Kiwi score then it doesn't have a clue. Not to mention that the price of gas is always changing these days. Too much foo foo for me. I'll stick with my scangauge that gives me real numbers that are more helpfull.

Funny.. anyone note that it said that you could save $1000 in TWO years using their little device. Hmm... but it costs $400.. anyone looking to purchase should look at Scangauge which is about $140.. that's a few hundred dollars saved already :)

Products Discussed in

To Top