Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

PLX Kiwi (OBD II display)

Old 07-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
East Ender
danb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
danb86's Tacoma Gallery
PLX Kiwi (OBD II display)

Anyone seen/tried the new PLX "KIWI"? (http://www.plxkiwi.com/)

It does exactly the same thing as the scan gauge with a more updated display (OLED).

I'm not exactly into the "game" aspect of getting a "high-score", but anything with Organic LED's is a go for me...

I'm getting either the scan gauge or the Kiwi at some point.

Input appreciated!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
I've been thinking about getting a Scangauge, also. This looks interesting, but it's twice the price of the Scangauge. For me, it doesn't merit the extra cost. You can get all of the same info and more out of the Scangauge.

My .02c

GA
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Find..... and I was poking around on their webpage trying to see what it does (compared to the Scangauge).

Based on their website info (or I was unable to find what I was looking for) - it doesn't do as much as Scangauge does.

Although -this seems geared more towards really focusing on your gas consumption and saving gas & $$. As its specifically designed for that.

I think the Scangauge is designed for showing various data from your truck computer. You can manipulate that data into different *personal* gauges - which is neat. I wish Scangauge would get transmission temps & oil pressure readings. The reason I bought it was in hopes they'd have tranny temps available soon. It's been over a year now and still nothing.....and seems all the hoopla got snowballed.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
East Ender
danb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddanb86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
danb86's Tacoma Gallery
When I looked at the KIWI's price, I too felt I could get the same info from the Scangauge...

Is the reason the Scangauge doesn't give tranny temps and oil pressure b/c the ECU doesn't report them?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it would be more of a distraction. Trying to get a high "kiwi score" right up until you hit the guy in front of you. Scan gauge give more pertinant info.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Damn! At $300-$400 it better save a shit load of gas to pay for itself!

Just get a scangauge to read/clear ODBII codes, RPMS, trip distances and averages, corrected speed/distance for larger tires, MPG and all the other things it does. For less than half the price.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like someone's trying to make a buck off people who will try anything to get a few extra MPG. How the heck can it possibly figure out how much $$$ you saved on a trip? That's crazy talk there. Unless it has a full history of how you used to drive and then was able to compare it to how you drive after hitting their Kiwi score then it doesn't have a clue. Not to mention that the price of gas is always changing these days. Too much foo foo for me. I'll stick with my scangauge that gives me real numbers that are more helpfull.

Funny.. anyone note that it said that you could save $1000 in TWO years using their little device. Hmm... but it costs $400.. anyone looking to purchase should look at Scangauge which is about $140.. that's a few hundred dollars saved already