Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dashboard mount... drill or not to drill

Old 08-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Dashboard mount... drill or not to drill

I'm installing a makeshift bracket mount for my handheld HAM radio

Instead of buying the 30 dollar pro-fit model, I'm going to use this 5 dollar one.

The only problem is that you will see a single screw on the outside, along with a bunch of holes for other screws.

What do you guys think... would you do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Dashboard mount... drill or not to drill-img_4664.jpg   Dashboard mount... drill or not to drill-img_4662.jpg   Dashboard mount... drill or not to drill-img_4665.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Bamabww is on a distinguished road

Bamabww's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't drill. Just my opinion though.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabww View Post
I wouldn't drill. Just my opinion though.
I would have to agree .... there has to be in aisle 16 at The Home Depot that would do the trick.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
swims with fishes
hansonian is on a distinguished road

hansonian's Tacoma Gallery
Instead of drilling why not use some 3M double sided tape. That should hold it on with no problems. I drilled holes for my GPS mount in my last Jeep and wished I hadn't until the day I got rid of it.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
POWER TOOLS!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Do what Sarah Palin Said^^ You can always just replace the OEM drilled out plastic with new later on.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
nope,dont drill
Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
fjm0008 has a spectacular aura aboutfjm0008 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jack
fjm0008's Tacoma Gallery
Drill it. You can either leave the bracket if you ever sell the truck or replace the piece, or neither. Don't sweat it. Just plan on keeping it forever and stop worrying about a few holes.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
EBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really nice

Name: Rob
EBBS03's Tacoma Gallery
3m
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
IslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reggie
IslandBoy71's Tacoma Gallery
use 3M first just incase you end up changing your mind later.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I made a similar mount out of some aluminum for my ipod. I drilled holes to attach the mount to the dash, but the holes aren't noticeable. I took the climate controls out and drilled two holes in the side of the cavity. Once the mount is attached and the climate controls are in, you can't tell. The only sign that I modified the truck is that I had to shave down the side of the climate controls in order for the metal to fit between the controls and the side of the cavity.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
JTDTacoma is on a distinguished road
JTDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Splurge on a kuda mount. Very nice product. Kudausa.com
The grey tacoma mounts on their site are from my truck!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
No way would I drill my dash for $25
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #16
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I'd drill my dash. Like mentioned above keep the bracket on or plug the holes if you decided to ever sell the truck. At least it would be on solid as compared to glue or tape. A few holes won't hurt anything
Old 08-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #17
Tojo is on a distinguished road

Tojo's Tacoma Gallery
velcro would be another idea you might want to try??
Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #18
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
I drilled! I figured if I was going to drill into the dash board, I might as well drill the roof.

Antenex quarter-wave NMO mount VHF antenna
Attached Thumbnails
Dashboard mount... drill or not to drill-img_4679.jpg   Dashboard mount... drill or not to drill-img_4680.jpg  
Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #19
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBandit View Post
I drilled! I figured if I was going to drill into the dash board, I might as well drill the roof.

Antenex quarter-wave NMO mount VHF antenna

Ouch ......
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #20
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
looks great