1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My gas pedal recall experience

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pster, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    The quality of the "chop job" will vary depending on the tech performing the work as there is no standard way to sand a pedal, its all done by hand.

I had my pedal cut, and then replaced by a new one...the sanding job didn't look bad but the fact that the pedal looked tiny did. So its my 27 thousand dollar truck...i'll have what ever damn pedal on there that i choose.

I'm not worried about my gas pedal getting stuck, i have a manual...if i can't figure out to get it in neutral if my throttle gets stuck then i deserve to crash and burn.

All this crap has to do with toyota covering their ass, there is no more danger than any other vehicle with the pedal getting stuck under the mat. I would personally be more worried about drive by wire system malfunctioning and causing the throttle to stick open than the pedal getting physically stuck.

2. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    I think it also helps Toyota look over your vehicle and say "you need this, or you need that" Just a way to get your Taco in the shop so they can try to pressure you into something you probably do not need. I'm sure they are making money because of the recalls. Did anyone notice you need a Vin # to buy parts from a Toyota dealer? I stopped in and asked about 2 exhaust bolts and doughnut gasket, the guy says "I need your Vin#?" I asked why, he said they track everything you buy for your Tacoma. I said I just wanted a price for the parts, he still wanted my Vin#, but then said Oh, I have your vehicle in our system already and then handed me a parts price quote with my name address and Vin on the slip.

3. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma

You both have your opinions and are clearly immovable. Accept that and move on. I don't think it's necessary to resort to name calling just takes it to a new low.

4. Sep 2, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    You're taking this all way to seriously lonesome....chill out. It's called sarcastic humor......:)

This thread is for those considering, or having already done the recall work. If you're happy without it, go cry in another bar unless you have something to add to the discussion other than "don't do it just because". Touche'. You don't intimidate me.

5. Sep 2, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I have not experienced the VIN question. I have purchased items not only from the dealer I bought my Tacoma but from the other dealer up the street (they are within 5 miles of one another on same blvd.)

Also some parts on line from Toyota of Dallas w/o the VIN.

I wonder why? :confused:

6. Sep 2, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    How different in lenght were the "cut" pedal and the "replacement" one?

7. Sep 2, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    My "guess" is about an inch......as I have stated, my foot can't tell.....perhaps if you drive barefooted you would notice it.

8. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    JP, here is a pic of my pedal after the mod.....sorry I don't have a "before" pic to compare it to...maybe there is one somewhere else in this site.....I think they only took off maybe at most 1/2".

P8310002.jpg

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i've driven 100,000+ miles, and not once have i ever hit the gas by accident in a car or truck. if you don't know where the gas and brake (and clutch) are, you shouldn't be driving.

and by your theory, they should make the gas pedal the size of a nickle, this minimizing any chance of it being touched

10. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    I had the recall done ... I was just curious what the difference was between the cut pedal and the one offered for those not happy with the cut pedal.

Mine was shortened 1 1/8" .... I posted pictures of before and after earlier.

This just isn't going to go away is it?

Although I'll have some great comments to use on my thesis in sociology (with posters permission of course ...... :cool:)

11. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I hear ya. More posts here than for World Peace. I'm to blame...I started this particular thread.....but good knowledge imparted I think.

12. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    709GADE

709GADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR5 DC LB - Pyrite Mica
    Toyota aluminium side steps, Toyota door sill protectors Extang trifecta tonneau cover, U-Haul Class 3 hitch, Black Weathertech's, Front mudflaps trimmed 4", OEM Fog Lights, WeatherTech Bug Deflector, 13" Stubby antenna, TRD Skid Plate, ScanGaugeII, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Plasti Dipped overhead temp/compass console, LT265/75/16 Duratrac's LR C
    I had the recall completed on Monday and haven't really noticed a difference. I would rather have the recall completed than not just in case something did happen...

13. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    Had mine done a few weeks ago. Can't even tell the pedal was cut unless you stick your head right down under the dash. It looks great. The ECU reflash made a huge difference in the way the transmission shifts, I think it was well worth it.

DSCN0170.jpg

14. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    What I think is very interesting is that in every gas pedal mod pic I have seen -performed by dealers across the country - the result looks exactly the same!! Toyota clearly has given the service depts very clear specifications.......Cinch: mine looks precisely like yours.

15. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i had mine done. why? because i really didnt care either way. i have four cars..i jump between them randomly. my foot "self centers" on every pedal, and calibrates..no issues. i could drive a car if the gas pedal was shaped in a circle..or a big chromed foot.

this thread is awesome..some heated debate going here for sure.

one thing for sure..if anything should happen, and i die in a fireball because my truck hurtled itself into a bridge pier and over the cliff with sudden uncontrolled accelaration...i want my wife to be able to sue the mother effers..no damn way, TOYOTA lawyers say..."well, judge..he did decline the recall work.."..hahahha.

16. Sep 2, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport CC, LB
    King Racing reservoir shocks, Camburg UCA's, Deaver 10 leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Magnaflow exhaust.
  17. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Good for you. However, I will keep my truck the right way so no recall.
    But did you had to start another thread ?

18. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Personally, Im keeping mine un molested. BUT....I dont see any reason to argue about which way is the right way. Lets keep the name calling and such out of the thread. ;)

19. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
  20. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    I'm thinking that toyota probably sent the dealers a template to work with.

Products Discussed in

To Top