1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying 4x4 or 4x2 for new purchase ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crazyman, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Sep 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    Only get a 4x4 if you absolutely need it. It is more expensive and have to deal with more things that can go wrong like the diff, bearings, cv's, etc..

2. Sep 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Good input .... and this from a 4WD owner ..... a team player ..... :D.

3. Sep 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I still get the feeling that the OP really wants 4wd but is trying to convince himself otherwise.

I did the same thing dude, just get 4x4. :D

4. Sep 2, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    It all depends on what you need, or think you need, over the life of the truck. You have to assess if the trade-off between increased initial cost and maintenance over time is worth the increased capabilities you'll gain. If you don't use the capabilities, it's a waste of $$$$. But if it makes you feel better to have it without using it,,, it's still your decision.

I actually came from the other direction, over the last 10 years before the Tacoma I had a 4wd SUV and an AWD truck. Never used the capabilities to any extent in either of those vehicles. So for the Tacoma, it was Pre-runner all the way.

You just need to figure out if the trade-off is worth it to you, then go with it.

5. Sep 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    crazyman

crazyman [OP] Not bothered....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DC/SB TRD/OR V6 Auto, Magnetic Gray
    Does Plasti-Dip count as a mod ?
    LOcal dealers seem to range 1-3k difference in price between DC's in 4x2 and 4x4.
    Of course selection is way off. 1 4x4 to nearly 20 4x2's.

That's not a lot of difference. At least to me. I planed on putting 90 % down and finance a small amount to be paid off in less than a year.

Hmmmmmmm, may have to try and find a 4x4 non TRD.:D

6. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    In the OPs first post he states DC LB which means the TRD OR is out. Toyota doesn't offer the LB with the Off-Road package. So you have the option of SR5 or Sport. If I was in your shoes I'd get as much bang for the buck and get the Sport. I prefer the OR having driven both before my purchase and also driving my buddies DC SB Sport.

Test drive both and see what fits you best.

7. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    What increase in maintenance? The only thing you have to different in a 4x4 is change the front diff fluid every 60K miles. Over the life of the truck it may range in the ~$250 range. Now how much do you think an off road recovery would cost if you get stuck and need a truck to come pull you out? More than differential fluid costs over the life of the truck.

8. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod

Meh, I don't get what bang for the buck you get with the sport. Although I just personally don't really want 17" wheels on my truck, not a big fan of the hood scoop, and I'd rather a locker over an lsd. :)

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    speedythecat

speedythecat Active Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD 2.7L Base w/ extra value pkg.
    I could have bought a loaded 4x4 if I wanted one, but chose to buy a base 4x2 with the 2.7L, Auto, AC because in reality that was all I needed. I'm very happy with it teeny tires and all.

With that said, I have owned 2 or 3 4wd pickups and 2 jeep wranglers. I liked them and I like the look, but I used the 4wd very, very little. i'm disabled and don't work so if it snows that damn bad, I'll just stay my ass home. LOL

Nothing wrong with wanting or getting what you want/need, after all it's your truck and I try not to poo on what anyone else likes even if it's not my cup of tea.

10. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    crazyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    I was just looking on the Toyota build your own site. It seems a DC LB can be had with the TRD OR / Sport pkgs. They list them as options.

Still. I don't know if those packages are really necessary.

Any thoughts ?

11. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    My humble opinion is that the offroad package is basically good for just the locker. If you want to get a locker, you can do so aftermarket later (for less than the cost of the package, too!)

The upgraded wheels/tires/shocks that come with the respective TRD packages are not worth it IMO. The tires still suck, and you'll probably end up replacing the TRD bilstein shocks.

So in short, the only thing I'd keep from any of the packages is the TRD Offroad locker. If you're in the same boat, don't bother with either TRD package.

Edit: Unless you're planning on keeping your truck stock. Then the TRD Bilsteins should be a nice upgrade. But a set of bilstein 5100's all around at stock height is also cheaper than the TRD offroad package.

12. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    IMHO...a 4x4 wheel cared for has a much higher resale value. Buy what you want and enjoy! :)

13. Sep 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    In regards to the off road package and if you intend to take it off road the bells/whistles do come in handy-ATRAC and locking rear diff. Maybe it has changed for 2011 but in prior years the DC LB was only in SR5 and Sport with 4x4. I can't build one on Toyotas site with my zipcode with a DC LB TRD OR.

14. Sep 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    My philosophy has always been, a vehicle has 4 wheels, why not use them all.
    That being said. There has been 2 instances where I needed 4wd and I wasn't planning on using it. One was at the boat ramp and my RR tire went off the concrete pad into the gravel under the water and the other was when I was getting a simple "flexing" pic in the grass.
    It depends what you do day to day but I like knowing that I can get out of just about any situation my truck gets in. The only extra maintenance will be transfer case and front diff fluids.

15. Sep 2, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    please get a 4x4 i got a 2x4 thinking i wont need it ..i will be on the street...wrong!!!
    better to have it and not need it rather than not have it all all

16. Sep 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    crazyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    I stand corrected.

For 2011, the DC LB 4x4 can only be had with TRD Sport or SR5 pkgs.
    Some choices are color dependent.

Perhaps I might reconsider the LB or SB option.
    Grrrrrrrr..... I'm trying to get the most truck for the money.....
    So many choices !:confused::confused::confused:

17. Sep 3, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    crazyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    As for choosing the short bed over the long bed, I'm thinking of long term usability.
    I've had four other truck before and they had the short beds. The full size ones had the 6 ft box. The small trucks had the 5 ft. Never had issue with either.

I think it's just a matter of scale and how it looks. The Taco just looks soooooooo long with the LB. I think the SB looks more proportioned.

18. Sep 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Wow, you are kind of all over the place with your Bilstein comments and as for the Off Road TRD, the A-TRAC (in L4) and Hydraulic Brake Booster that greatly enhances the TRAC (in H4) are far and away what sets the '09 and newer Tacos way ahead and off road ability! Forget the Rear Locker, it is obsolete since A-TRAC arrived! Yes, I know... I have had three Off Road Tacomas over the years and wouldn't want one without the rear locker... then I tested the A-TRAC when I got my '10... WOW!

The Off Road TRD 4WD will not disappoint you!

19. Sep 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    crazyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    Okay, here's the plan......

DC 4x4 TRD/OR Auto & Tow pkg. Barcelona Red baby !

I went to the dealer again today. I thought I should give the TRD Sport / OR pkg another look. I had first thought the sport seats were a bit uncomfortable with the seat bolsters digging into the backs of my legs.

I sat in an SR5 and a TRD Sport to compare seats again. This one TRD didn't feel as bad as the first one I had sat in. So I took it for a 20 minute drive (Sales guy encouraged me). After about half an hour, I didn't find the seats bad at all. I understand they'll 'break in' a little more so that should alleviate any issue I had.

I did look at a long bed DC, and decided I didn't really want it that way. I think the SB should suffice. If I need that much bed space, I'll grab a trailer.

And the last option: 4x2 or 4x4.

4x4. May not need it that often, but since I have the money and might have a need for it in the future, I'll go ahead and get it. Yep, 4x4. I see some off roading in my future....

Oh and that Barcelona Red.... Beautiful.

So that's it. 6 weeks or so 'til I have the funds available.
    DC 4x4 TRD/OR Auto & Tow pkg. Barcelona Red baby !
    Mine.

20. Sep 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Excellent color choice .......

Products Discussed in

To Top