1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I may have found a little mileage trick/V6 auto

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rocko, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Sep 2, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    Rocko

Rocko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Auto
    My previous truck was a manual 6 speed (frontier) and I always used kept the RPM's as low as possible for the best gas mileage. When I bought my auto tranny 2010 Taco, I was a little disappointed that the auto kept the RPM's up a higher than I liked. Sometimes really high when driving through hills. Well, now when I want the RPM's lower, I just bump the shifter over to 4th, from D for a few seconds, and then back to D. Then and all is well. The truck runs in a higher gear. It seems that it learned that I like to drive it that way, and usually keeps the tranny at a higher gear. Just something to try, but i'd bet that my mileage will improve a little from it.

2. Sep 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I just leave it in D and I pull low RPM's. Leaving it 4 will not allow it to do all the way to overdrive and should cause you to have higher rpm's. The only MPG trick I have found is a light foot on the gas pedal and try to keep the rpm's under 2,000.

3. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You mean you drive around normally in 4? Just leave it in D and it'll pick the appropriate gear for the conditions... If you want it to stay in a higher gear, lighten up on the right pedal and it won't be as quick to downshift when going up a hill.

4. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    yeah i would think that would be worse, overdrive is your friend

another thing i always see is people just racing to red lights and stop signs. if the light is red ahead of me a always take my foot off the gas and coast

i think im gonna cut a hole in the floor soon so i can just flintstone that bitch around and save all my gas:laughing:

5. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    Rocko

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Auto
    No, you misunderstand the post. I just pop it in 4 for a second or two, than back to D. Then while back in D the RPMs stay lower. It shifts sooner.

6. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Downshifting should increase RPMs, not decrease. Confused.

7. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    sometimes I do this by accident :)
    Never thought of doing this to help mpg. Cool find you shared.
    I tracked my mpgs for awhile, have a scangauge but it is what it is.
    I do drop it to 4 when towing & use it in the winter time going down the mountain roads when its icy.

8. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    So you meant, after the transmission already downshifts to 4th on it's own, slide the gear selecter into 4, then back to D and it'll upshift back to 5th? Interesting concept for getting better mileage but I'm not convinced it'll work. Your truck downshifts because it needs more power, if you force it back into the higher gear, it'll turn lower RPM's but will be working harder trying to maintain speed. Your truck is still calling for more power, therefore more fuel. Lower RPM's doesn't always equal better mpg. Not saying it won't work, just might not work as well as you'd think.

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    Rocko

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Auto
    Just slide it into D at any point while driving around town. Sometimes even when it is in a lower gear but revs are high, just bumping it over to 4 for a second makes it shift to a higher gear. There are times when I am just driving around and the truck hangs in the lower gear(higher RPM's), even if I just barely have the throttle pushed. I think it has something to do with the way that the ECU learns your driving habbits. Just try it. Obviously driving down the highway at 70 the truck is already in overdrive and this wont help. This is for daily driving around town.

10. Sep 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

Ease on gas from a stop, keeping it under 2000 ...... I think I get great mileage. :D

11. Sep 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    bt08231

bt08231 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey SR5
    Stock
    rocko, i know what u mean, I used to do this as well, however, some on this sight seem to believe that when you are not applying any gas pedal pressure, no matter how high the rpms are, the engine is receiving little to no fuel. This is why the autos get better mileage than the manuals, and this is also why they have the engine breaking effect. I have since stopped this practice and just let the truck shift when it wants and to whichever gears it wants, kinda why i baught an auto.

Products Discussed in

To Top