Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

good or bad idea

Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
good or bad idea

first off does any one here have a custom snorkel on there trucks and also I was thinking about making one out of pcv pipe from home depot and wanted to know if its a good or bad idea.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a bad idea, IMO it wouldn't turn out right
Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
why would it be bad? as long as you do i right and it works and looks good
i saw something somewhere the other day so im gonna try and find it

you should definitly re-route all the breather lines and things up in it
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thinking the same and do you know of any company that makes a snorkel for the second gen cuz I've been looking and not much in google only found it for the 1 gen
Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
I swear I saw a TW member here that had an ARB Safari Snorkel on his 2nd gen Tacoma...I can't find the thread and or pictures...

but those guys would be the place to call/email...

ARB Safari Snorkel <-click for link

but Cruiser Outfitters Snorkel for '05 and newer 2nd Gen Tacomas <-click for link

Toyota Tacoma (2005 - 2008) - $355.50
Retail $487.01
(Fits all 05' & Newer 2nd Generation Tacoma's)
Part# ARB SS135MOD
Includes Cruiser Outfitters Exclusive Installation Template
(See special install instructions here: 05+ Tacoma Snorkel Install)

I hope that helps you out...

LUNI (TW member) has a Cruiser Outfitter Snorkel installed...

be for warned this mod isn't for the feint of heart...according to virgilus11 (another TW member)...check his comments out on page 2 post #30 <-click for link
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

Thanks and also I just had an idea go to a muffler shop and get three inch tubing and I know the people that work there so I'm gunna ask them if they could do some bends and do a one piece snorkel or is plastic better to have for a snorkel
Old 09-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^that would be cool...maybe a little pricier...but definitely different...I would suggest pc'd and/or color matching it to your vehicle...that would make it look 10x cleaner and more people would think it came from the factory that way...

only problem with metal is being able to make such tight bends between the fender and the opening for the intake hole...and also being able to make the piping hug the body lines of your truck is going to be the hardest part...but with a little ingenuity and fabrication it can be done...

good luck and keep us posted...please post pics as the project comes along...
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
Thanks and also I just had an idea go to a muffler shop and get three inch tubing and I know the people that work there so I'm gunna ask them if they could do some bends and do a one piece snorkel or is plastic better to have for a snorkel
If you do it do a Snorkel - the real deal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dc9QV2e5kc
Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do you need a snorkel?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Do you need a snorkel?
He watched Al Gore's movie.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
If you do it do a Snorkel - the real deal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dc9QV2e5kc
you would never catch me doing that with my TACO...

don't get me wrong I'm impressed...
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

Don't really need a snorkel but I've just been thinking of making one for a while now and if it works out then great and if it doesn't great
Old 09-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
If you will use it, I'd get the the FJ ARB one and modify it to fit the 2nd gen as has been done.

Home Depot ghetto fab on a nice newer truck is just.. ghetto and not a good idea. Also kiss your resale value good-bye unless you're willing to buy a replacement fender (and maybe piller) and pay to paint match (which won't be perfect and raise the question of a prior accident may have occured).

In short, do it right, or don't do it at all is my honest opinion on this.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

I keeping my truck until it craps out on me and also resale is already f***ed because it has salvage title it just got a front end damage and I bought for 5000 from one of my dads freinds that needed cash
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #19
Ban Pending

If you really need to do it yourself - get some foam and up a nice one. Then fiberglass it and do it real nice... the only problem is you could have a nice looking one or a crappy looking one. But after it all, you would only have a 'beta' product when you would be way ahead of the game if you got a real one!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

I'm not gunna rush into things so if I do it I'm gunna take my time so I do it ill be sure to take pics and thanks for the info