1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Engel fridge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nermalgod, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Sep 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    I have a 2006 Tacoma Access Cab and plan on mounting one in the cab behind the front seats, probably on drawer sliders.

Which size fridge is the most popular, best suited, and any hints for mounting?

Even though there are other great fridges out there, I will be buying an Engel and would like to hear specific feedback about their product line.

2. Sep 2, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
  3. Sep 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    I have had a mt45 behind my passenger seat for 2 1/2 yrs. It runs all the time except when I shut it down to clean it once in a while. I have not had a single problem with it. Not having to deal with Ice is great! I am using the Engel slide lock mounted to a aluminum shelf I made. I could not figure a way to use a slide without getting elaborate. It is a tight fit and big people don't like riding there for too long but the girlfriend doesn't even notice it back there. When you mount it you do need to try to keep it as low as possible so the lid opens enough. I can eat and drink very well for a good week out of it by myself you just need to be creative when packing it. I just spent 6 days at Bonneville for Speedweek and I fed two for 5 nights, Still had a bag of frozen pork chops in the bottom after 4 days and nights in 90-100 degree days! I like the Engel for its simplicity, no electronic control panels just a simple rotary switch on/off colder /warmer. One thing you do need is a thermometer that remotely displays temp inside the fridge. Anywhere you buy the fridge will have them, with that its easy to keep tabs on.

P1040734_53d08ba8d3cc43f3a17f34959ee10876f33a4982.jpg

4. Sep 2, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    How do they work? I mean power, Is it powered via truck. when engine off, how does it continue to cool or warm?

5. Sep 3, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    Timber

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    They are 12 volt and draw 2.5 amps when running. They only run about 12 hrs off and on during 24 just like any fridge at home, unless your trying to freeze water then they will run more. Plugs into a cig lighter or just hard wire it in like any accessory. It also runs off 110v so you can plug it in and run it in the garage when not in the truck.

6. Feb 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    Hi Timber, I am looking to do a fridge in my access cab as well but I have the stock subwoofer. Does the fridge go past that mount area? I am worried because i do not want to have to mount it without sub.

7. Feb 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    Timber

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports

Products Discussed in

To Top