1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS braking qwestion/problem.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mullica woods'er, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sep 3, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    mullica woods'er

mullica woods'er [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    south jersey pinebarrons
    Vehicle:
    06 trd 4x4
    rear leaf tsb,billies all around.front set at 1.75. 265 duratracs.cbi front hitch.rough contry 9.5 winch/syn.rope.
    hi everybody,

i have a 06 tacoma trd OR 4x4 AC cab.4.0,auto.Got rear TSB leafs done(great),and installed 5100s allthe way around,front set at 1.75.(great).Also run 265/75r/16 duratracs,on stock wheels.(great).Ok,so here is my qwestion or problem:Only on gravel or dirt roads if you hit the brake pedal hard kinda like almost like slamming the brakes,but not really,i hear the ABS computer sound like we always here when you 1st start the truck and go.(computer checking system),and you feel in the pedal,and it makes a almost grinding type of noise.On the street is does not do this.Now put the truck in 4x4(hi or low),and it will still do it.Now engage the locker,and it does'nt do it.And of course the ABS is disabled when locker is engaged.The only thing i can think of is the truck losing traction.It also does it the snow.Just wondering if this is normal?I know my old 97 dodge 4x4 acted similar,locking up or acting screwy in the rain or snow.I hope i'm making sense for someone to chime in help.Other than that,no problems.thanks for any help.And it's not like i go flying down dirt rds,it will do it at 30 35 miles per hr.just don't make sense.

2. Feb 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    The noise you are hearing is your fancy ABS brakes keeping any wheel from locking up. It used to happen to me all the time while driving off-road in snow and ice. If you want to be in control of your brakes, disable your ABS by removing the fuse. It works great

3. Feb 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    yea. . . . . abs is pretty sensitive on these trucks. i thought 4lo got rid of it though.

gunna have to go find out

Products Discussed in

To Top