1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To get a new tacoma or stick with the old?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by soflasurfr, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sep 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    soflasurfr

soflasurfr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bilstien 5100's all around, OME 885 coils, AAL, Total Chaos UCA's
    Funny thing, I just spent close to 4 grand on tires, shocks, coils, UCA's and other fun things to put on my 2006 Tacoma. I was just waiting for the UCA's to show up to get these all installed.

Then someone from the dealer called and said I could get a new tacoma at 1% financing because of so many years of not missing payments, etc. I'm paying a ridiculous amount on the 06 still, and it has 90k miles.

So, you guys think its worth it to get a 2011 tacoma or wait for the new body style and put these toys on my 2006?

By the way, any major differences in 2010 vs 2011?

2. Sep 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Keep what ya got.

3. Sep 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i think just the grille.. i went from a 08 to an 2010.08 was a lemon i say keep the 06 if its paid for are almost paid for. why start over

4. Sep 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    keep the 06

5. Sep 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    JML50

JML50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Keep what you got...there's always a catch if the dealer's calling you.

6. Sep 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Keep the old one.

7. Sep 3, 2010 at 11:19 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    Keep it

8. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    KEEP IT!!! 90K miles isn't shit for a tacoma, Why upgrade for a few very MINOR appearance upgrades, it's still the same truck you already have, sounds foolish to me.

9. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    x1000000000000000

It'll be payed off sooner....why start over?! Just keep what ya got and be happy :thumbsup:

10. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Cheaper to keep'er. Sounds like the voting all one way. Easy decision.

11. Sep 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    TacoGK

TacoGK Making changes is always fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC trd offroad sr5 debadged
    20% tint JLAudio amp and 12" sub, custom fiberglass tool box, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Anytime Fog light mod, Anytime rearview camera, Leveling kit, Rear spring TSB, Moto Metal MO957 Black, 285/70/17 BFG AT KO, DTRL Stealth mod, Anytime locker mod, Constant power mod.
    That is a personnel decision you need to make. If you are happy with your current truck and it isn't givng you any issues keep it. if its nickle and diming you to death or your not happy with it get the new one. To me modding a truck is the fun part. usually after I do all the mods to a truck i am going to do i will drive it for a little while and get rid of it and get a new one to mod out again. good luck in what ever decision you make

12. Sep 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    simple easy way to figure it out.

1. What does the new truck have that you want?
    2. Could you install it yourself, and for cheaper than a few car payments?
    3. Do you really want to start payments all over again?

Your 2006 will not look old for a long time considering they are still producing it in the 2011.

13. Sep 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    mardoqueo galindo

mardoqueo galindo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marcos
    socal
    Vehicle:
    08 preruner
    toyota 20" wheels,borla double tip exaust,running boards,K&N air filter.
    keep the 06,start payments all over is not fany,just do some cosmetics to you truck,up date it.

14. Sep 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    Jetta1cab

Jetta1cab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Bilstein 5100s @ 0 with OME885x coils. Toyota Rear TSB. Billet grill inserts.
    Keep your '06! I have to believe that their phone call and offer of 1% financing is overall "B.S." and a sales tactic to get you into a new vehicle, which means more money for them. What does the dealer care what your APR is. They get paid by the lender in full anyways. Besides there's always offers for low interest as long as you qualify. The important thing to any car buyer is to take damn good care of your credit and you'll always get low or 0% interest from a lender somewhere. Trust me, I learned the hard way as a care-free college student with a credit card back in the day... It's taken me years to fix what I completely ruined in a matter of months! I got 0% APR from Toyota Financial on my '08 Tacoma when I purchased and my credit was somewhere in the mid to high 600's at the time depending on what credit bureau you looked at.

15. Sep 5, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Keep it until at least 2016.

Cheers.

16. Sep 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Dealership calling you to unselfishly help you on your APR ... :confused:

Keep what you have ... :D

17. Sep 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    Blackbeard

Blackbeard Truck Huntin'

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    I agree with the, "KEEP IT", votes! Here's why:

1. If you are going to install your Mods, and Trade your '06 for the '11 model, you just handed the Dealer $4K worth of Mods, that you will NOT get Trade Credit for. They're simply going to give you their, "Black Book" Trade Value, usually lower than KBB, NADA, & Edmunds. Your Mods will benefit the Dealer when they Re-Sell it, with no Trade benefit to you at all. If you're going to Trade for the '11... put your Mods on the New Truck.

2. You mentioned that you're still paying on the '06. When you Trade your '06 for the '11, the '06's Balance doesn't disappear. It's still with you! Yes..... the Dealer will, "Pay Off Your Loan", so that they can obtain the '06's Title from your Bank, in order for them to Re-Sell it at Auction or on their Used Lot. Now, you have the Financed Amount of the New Truck..... say... $26K, for example. Add to that $26K, the Balance of the '06 Trade that the Dealer Paid Off, which you still owe the Bank for. Let's say you owe..... $13K, for example, on the '06. Add the $26K and $13K, and you're now going to pay $39K for a Truck Loan. Last time I checked, you can get an Auto Loan up to 84 Months, or 7 Years. So, that would Ballpark your future payments at about $464 for 7 LOOOOOONG Years! Are you ready to do that? What you need to check, is:

a.) What is your '06's Balance Owed Amount.
    b.) What is the Average Trade Value of your '06.
    c.) Do you have Available Equity, between the above amount Owed, and the Trade Value.

3. Using the $39K New Price Tag as an example, here's your next problem. Most likely, your Insurance will Insure your New Truck for the Valued Amount..... $26K..... not the $39K. Now you have to buy Gap Insurance! Gap Insurance is purchased, when you're "Upside Down" in a vehicle. In other words, you Owe More than the Vehicle is worth. If you were to have an accident, and total the Truck, then the Insurance would pay the Lienholder... your Bank..... $26K to cover the loss. However, you STILL owe the remaining $13K for the difference. Not an easy amount to come up with, at a moments notice! So, you purchase Gap Insurance, which covers you for the Overage in what you Owe, as opposed to what the Truck's Value is. Now, you're looking at a Truck Payment, Insurance Payment, and Gap Insurance Payment (sometimes combined as one Insurance Payment...).

Dealer's are notorious for contacting former Customers, and tring to bait them on a New Sale. They all do it... it's part of their business. You might even get a Dealer Rep calling you, telling you that they'll give you MAX $$$ Trade for your Truck, and sell you a New Truck at $150 Below Invoice! Good Deal??? SURE!!! Over the Phone! But, once you set foot in that door, the Numbers drastically change. You'll get an offer for your Trade, much lower than promised. To boot, the Price of the New Truck will start at MSRP, and you'll have to work hard to get the numbers at a decent Price. Now you'll find yourself fighting to raise the Trade Value, and lower the New Trucks Selling Price. Frustrating! It's all a Bait-N-Switch Game! They hire these Phone Rep TeleMarketer Types, to get you to come into the Dealership. Once you're there... you're Fresh Meat!

One thing I've learned in 36 years of Car Buying..... "The Feel of the Wheel, Seals the Deal!" Once you do a Test-Drive..... they've got their Hooks in you! Here's a pic of the Last Buyers that were Called In:

[​IMG]

BTW, I used to conduct "Car Buying Seminars", as a Command Financial Counselor!

Here are three good Auto Appriasal Sites to check out. You'll have, Trade Value (What you HOPE the Dealer will give you on a Trade-In...), Private Party Value (What a Private Buyer will Pay...), and Retail Value (What the Dealer will sell it for...).

http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/index.html?tid=edmunds.h..used.utmv.1.*

http://www.kbb.com/

http://www.nada.com/

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

18. Sep 5, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    VICECIV

VICECIV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR in Quicksand
    None (yet)
    once that trucks paid off, you can stick all the "car payment money" into an account and continue paying payments on your paid for truck. in a few years, you'll be suprised how much $$$ is in that account. Use that for a fat down payment, some bad ass mods, or maybe even pay cash for your next truck! My taco's 8 years old and not a problem with it yet. I payed it off in 2007 and have been paying myself 350 ever since. Thats 12 grand

19. Sep 5, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    I agree with KEEP THE 06! BUT, your profile says you have an 07 x-runner? What's up with that?

Products Discussed in

To Top