Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ride Stiffness TRD Off Road 5100 Bilstiens

Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
OLROY is on a distinguished road
Name: Roy
OLROY's Tacoma Gallery
Ride Stiffness TRD Off Road 5100 Bilstiens

I searched through tons of blogs on here and still can't find what I want to know. There are a lot of similar things posted but I could not find the exact setup.

I would like to here from someone who has a 2nd gen Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road suspension and is using the bilstein 5100 shocks with the stock Toyota variable rate coil springs. How is the ride when set at either 1.75 or 2.5 inches with the TRD off road progressive rate coils?

Note: I put the 5100's at 1.75" on my 98 4x4 which had standard springs (not progressive)and they made a huge improvment. I'm concerned that adding them to my 2005 TRD Off Road truck with a stiff stock susspension may make the ride too harsh. I was considering looking for a pair of SR5, non springs to couple with the 5100's.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
newbtacoma is on a distinguished road
newbtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone comment on this? I am looking at doing 5100's with stock coils as well...
Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
From what Ive read setting them at 1.75 is going to stiffen up the ride quite a bit but not so much that you are going to be bounced all over the cab.

I recommend buying CO's with the 5100's let the springs lift the truck not the 5100's. i picked up a set of Eibach springs with my 5100's just for that reason it was only 149.00 more but I have a first Gen i don't know what the price it for you guys.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
OLROY's Tacoma Gallery
Rate, length and preload all play in to the ride firmness. The Eibach springs have a much higher rate. No guarantee that is a better setup.

I'm looking to here from someone running 5100s with at 1.75" or 2.5" with stock TRD Off Road progressive rate coils.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the 5100s and offroad coils for about 8 months on my prerunner and.........I freakin hated it. Its wayyyy too stiff in my opinion. I wasnt expecting a caddy ride but I think that suspension setup loosened bolts lol. Just an opinion though. Some people like a real responsive ride. See if you can find someone in your area to give you a ride/let you test drive it.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Hibby is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Luke
Hibby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
I ran the 5100s and offroad coils for about 8 months on my prerunner and.........I freakin hated it. Its wayyyy too stiff in my opinion. I wasnt expecting a caddy ride but I think that suspension setup loosened bolts lol. Just an opinion though. Some people like a real responsive ride. See if you can find someone in your area to give you a ride/let you test drive it.
It would be good to post what setting you had them at.

Personnaly I have 5100's set at 1.75 on my TRD Sport and I love the way it rides. It firmed it up good enough to make it feel like a truck should feel imo.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
It would be good to post what setting you had them at.

Personnaly I have 5100's set at 1.75 on my TRD Sport and I love the way it rides. It firmed it up good enough to make it feel like a truck should feel imo.
I had them at 2.5. And your post proves my point exactly: it's too hard for us to tell the OP "how stiff it is" or if it's "too stiff", it's all a matter of opinion. There's no shared scale we can all go off of, we just post our interpretations of it. I don't like a real soft ride, but I don't want my tooth fillings falling out either. And I'm sure you like it differently than I do. His (OP) best bet is to get a ride along or test drive IMO.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Tacomajoe54 is on a distinguished road
Navy: CVA64 Vietnam Service
Name: Joe
Tacomajoe54's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 TRD Sport and used the 5100's with stock coils and changed out tires to Hankook Dynapro R10's PSI 37. 5100's are set at 1.75". The ride firmed up somewhat but is very good with much less body lean on the bends. I also had the TSB done on the rear springs which I think stiffened the suspension more than adding the 5100's. I only have about 2200 miles on the set up but I think with some time and miles the ride will soften alittle more anyway. Good luck and I think you'll do well with the set up.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Sports use linear rate springs so the rate doesn't change as you compress them, therefore they don't tend to be as stiff after the switch to 5100s. Off-Roads have progressive springs and as you compress a progressive spring your spring rate is increasing. That is why he is asking for people with TRD OFF-ROADS to chime in.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Chester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant future

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
I have been running the billies for a year now and the tsb springs for 2.The ride softens up a bit over time.Pounding the freeways for work this last year going north into the redwoods and I pacing BMW through the turns.Offroad is ok for the price & its simplicity.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Don't mean to hijack, but if I want a smoother, more comfortable, and more controlled ride, but don't want to lift, would 5100s make sense with my original base springs?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
Tacomajoe54 is on a distinguished road
Navy: CVA64 Vietnam Service
Name: Joe
Tacomajoe54's Tacoma Gallery
I know you can set them at factory, .85, 1.75, and 2.5 inches of lift so you can install without lifting. I have a friend that has your setup and installed the 5100's at factory height and really likes them. Nice thing also is the 5100's are warranted for life of your truck.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
This is certainly not going to answer the original question but it may help others reading this. I had an 05 Access cab 4cyl SR5 and a few months later my brother in law bought an 05 TRD sport. His truck rode a bit stiffer than mine, but was far better controlled over bumps largely due to the bilsteins. I got tired of the squishy stock ride and bought a set of Bilstein HD's (real bilsteins not the small diameter toyota ones) for my 4cyl and it then rode a bit firmer than the sport and had better control over rough roads than it. I now have a TRD offroad totally stock and it rides almost exactly like my 4 cylinder with the HD's did. But the rear is a tad looser. When the stock shocks give up I'll probably do HD's in this one too. I have one lifted truck already. My tacomas stay stock.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
i've been running the 5100s for about three years now on my OR set at 1.75". the ride is a bit "stiffer" than stock, but stock was kindof mushy IMO. my setup can feel a bit choppy on broken edge lines of asphalt/concrete, but the handling improvement alone is worth it. i've noticed about 1/2" of sag over the years, but i think they are done settling now.

overall, i am satisfied with them...no regrets. planning to upgrade to OME setup once the truck is paid off.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #16
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
I just did the setup you are asking about on my 2011 OR.

I had the rear TSB done two days ago and had the 5100s done yesterday.

Not much road time to give a complete opinion, but I will say it now rides like a truck.

As several on this thread have mentioned: more control, less bouncy and absorbs a series of bumps with more stability.

I'll post any other info that seems relevant as I get more road time.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
OLROY's Tacoma Gallery
5100 mild lift results

Last week I put the 5100's on with my TRD Off Road progressive coil springs. I set them at 1.75" and added a 1/4" top spacer. The truck sits 2" higher in the front now with this setup. I can barley detect any differance in ride firmness.

After I added the 5100's, the truck sat level with the TSB however I like the rear a little higher so its not nose up when loaded. Since I didn't want to stiffen the rear anymore than the TSB did, I added 1" blocks from Toytec.

I have no vibrations and have driven up to 80MPH but my steering wheel is now off center by about 30 degrees CCW. I have not gotten an alignment yet and I hope the alignment will correct that.

I am shopping for 265-75-16 tires by the end of the month because the OEM tires won't pass inspection. Anyone try the Wrangler Authority's Wal-Mart sells? The Wal-Mart assocaite said I would have to drop the wheels off because they can not put tires on the vehicle other than the orignal size.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #18
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
Is it safe to say that the 5100s set at .85 will not stiffen the ride a lot? I have the procomp 2.25 strut spacers. The truck was level until the tsb. I think the .85 setting will level it back.

Big dif in ride quality or not?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMountainToy View Post
Is it safe to say that the 5100s set at .85 will not stiffen the ride a lot? I have the procomp 2.25 strut spacers. The truck was level until the tsb. I think the .85 setting will level it back.

Big dif in ride quality or not?
If you have spacers, it's not recommended to use the shocks at anything other than the 0 setting.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
doodooboi is on a distinguished road
doodooboi's Tacoma Gallery
sub'ed