1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ride Stiffness TRD Off Road 5100 Bilstiens

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OLROY, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    OLROY

OLROY [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    RI
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD Off Road X Cab
    Stock
    I searched through tons of blogs on here and still can't find what I want to know. There are a lot of similar things posted but I could not find the exact setup.

I would like to here from someone who has a 2nd gen Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road suspension and is using the bilstein 5100 shocks with the stock Toyota variable rate coil springs. How is the ride when set at either 1.75 or 2.5 inches with the TRD off road progressive rate coils?

Note: I put the 5100's at 1.75" on my 98 4x4 which had standard springs (not progressive)and they made a huge improvment. I'm concerned that adding them to my 2005 TRD Off Road truck with a stiff stock susspension may make the ride too harsh. I was considering looking for a pair of SR5, non springs to couple with the 5100's.

2. Sep 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    newbtacoma

newbtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Sport
    Can anyone comment on this? I am looking at doing 5100's with stock coils as well...

3. Sep 15, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    From what Ive read setting them at 1.75 is going to stiffen up the ride quite a bit but not so much that you are going to be bounced all over the cab.

I recommend buying CO's with the 5100's let the springs lift the truck not the 5100's. i picked up a set of Eibach springs with my 5100's just for that reason it was only 149.00 more but I have a first Gen i don't know what the price it for you guys.

4. Sep 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    OLROY

OLROY [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    RI
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD Off Road X Cab
    Stock
    Rate, length and preload all play in to the ride firmness. The Eibach springs have a much higher rate. No guarantee that is a better setup.

I'm looking to here from someone running 5100s with at 1.75" or 2.5" with stock TRD Off Road progressive rate coils.

5. Sep 15, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I ran the 5100s and offroad coils for about 8 months on my prerunner and.........I freakin hated it. Its wayyyy too stiff in my opinion. I wasnt expecting a caddy ride but I think that suspension setup loosened bolts lol. Just an opinion though. Some people like a real responsive ride. See if you can find someone in your area to give you a ride/let you test drive it.

6. Sep 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Hibby

Hibby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2008 Trd Sport 4x4
    tires, shocks and a sticker!
    It would be good to post what setting you had them at.

Personnaly I have 5100's set at 1.75 on my TRD Sport and I love the way it rides. It firmed it up good enough to make it feel like a truck should feel imo.

7. Sep 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I had them at 2.5. And your post proves my point exactly: it's too hard for us to tell the OP "how stiff it is" or if it's "too stiff", it's all a matter of opinion. There's no shared scale we can all go off of, we just post our interpretations of it. I don't like a real soft ride, but I don't want my tooth fillings falling out either. And I'm sure you like it differently than I do. His (OP) best bet is to get a ride along or test drive IMO.

8. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:47 AM
    Tacomajoe54

Tacomajoe54 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport, mgnetic Grey,
    Bilstien 5100's, TSB rear leafs, yellow wire mod, and Tonopro trifold.
    I have a 2010 TRD Sport and used the 5100's with stock coils and changed out tires to Hankook Dynapro R10's PSI 37. 5100's are set at 1.75". The ride firmed up somewhat but is very good with much less body lean on the bends. I also had the TSB done on the rear springs which I think stiffened the suspension more than adding the 5100's. I only have about 2200 miles on the set up but I think with some time and miles the ride will soften alittle more anyway. Good luck and I think you'll do well with the set up.

9. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    Sports use linear rate springs so the rate doesn't change as you compress them, therefore they don't tend to be as stiff after the switch to 5100s. Off-Roads have progressive springs and as you compress a progressive spring your spring rate is increasing. That is why he is asking for people with TRD OFF-ROADS to chime in.

10. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Just got my Billies and will be installing soon. I'm glad I came across this thread, good info and I now have a better idea of what to expect. Thanks

11. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    I have been running the billies for a year now and the tsb springs for 2.The ride softens up a bit over time.Pounding the freeways for work this last year going north into the redwoods and I pacing BMW through the turns.Offroad is ok for the price & its simplicity.

12. Jan 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Don't mean to hijack, but if I want a smoother, more comfortable, and more controlled ride, but don't want to lift, would 5100s make sense with my original base springs?

13. Jan 16, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    Tacomajoe54

Tacomajoe54 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport, mgnetic Grey,
    Bilstien 5100's, TSB rear leafs, yellow wire mod, and Tonopro trifold.
    I know you can set them at factory, .85, 1.75, and 2.5 inches of lift so you can install without lifting. I have a friend that has your setup and installed the 5100's at factory height and really likes them. Nice thing also is the 5100's are warranted for life of your truck.

14. Jan 16, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    This is certainly not going to answer the original question but it may help others reading this. I had an 05 Access cab 4cyl SR5 and a few months later my brother in law bought an 05 TRD sport. His truck rode a bit stiffer than mine, but was far better controlled over bumps largely due to the bilsteins. I got tired of the squishy stock ride and bought a set of Bilstein HD's (real bilsteins not the small diameter toyota ones) for my 4cyl and it then rode a bit firmer than the sport and had better control over rough roads than it. I now have a TRD offroad totally stock and it rides almost exactly like my 4 cylinder with the HD's did. But the rear is a tad looser. When the stock shocks give up I'll probably do HD's in this one too. I have one lifted truck already. My tacomas stay stock.

15. Jan 16, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i've been running the 5100s for about three years now on my OR set at 1.75". the ride is a bit "stiffer" than stock, but stock was kindof mushy IMO. my setup can feel a bit choppy on broken edge lines of asphalt/concrete, but the handling improvement alone is worth it. i've noticed about 1/2" of sag over the years, but i think they are done settling now.

overall, i am satisfied with them...no regrets. planning to upgrade to OME setup once the truck is paid off.

16. Jan 21, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    I just did the setup you are asking about on my 2011 OR.

I had the rear TSB done two days ago and had the 5100s done yesterday.

Not much road time to give a complete opinion, but I will say it now rides like a truck.

As several on this thread have mentioned: more control, less bouncy and absorbs a series of bumps with more stability.

I'll post any other info that seems relevant as I get more road time.

17. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    OLROY

OLROY [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    RI
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD Off Road X Cab
    Stock
    Last week I put the 5100's on with my TRD Off Road progressive coil springs. I set them at 1.75" and added a 1/4" top spacer. The truck sits 2" higher in the front now with this setup. I can barley detect any differance in ride firmness.

After I added the 5100's, the truck sat level with the TSB however I like the rear a little higher so its not nose up when loaded. Since I didn't want to stiffen the rear anymore than the TSB did, I added 1" blocks from Toytec.

I have no vibrations and have driven up to 80MPH but my steering wheel is now off center by about 30 degrees CCW. I have not gotten an alignment yet and I hope the alignment will correct that.

I am shopping for 265-75-16 tires by the end of the month because the OEM tires won't pass inspection. Anyone try the Wrangler Authority's Wal-Mart sells? The Wal-Mart assocaite said I would have to drop the wheels off because they can not put tires on the vehicle other than the orignal size.

18. Oct 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    Is it safe to say that the 5100s set at .85 will not stiffen the ride a lot? I have the procomp 2.25 strut spacers. The truck was level until the tsb. I think the .85 setting will level it back.

Big dif in ride quality or not?

19. Oct 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    If you have spacers, it's not recommended to use the shocks at anything other than the 0 setting.

20. Oct 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    doodooboi

doodooboi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD DCSB Sport/Prerunner

Products Discussed in

To Top