Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Long Distance Comfort? Looking To Buy A Pre-Runner!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Truck Huntin'
Blackbeard is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired
Blackbeard's Tacoma Gallery
Long Distance Comfort? Looking To Buy A Pre-Runner!

Shipmates!

Any inputs and/or opinions, on how COMFORTABLE a Tacoma Access Cab is/isn't on a Long Distance Road Trip?

I drive a Jeep Wrangler (My Toy and Daily Driver...), which is built for FUN, not comfort, and my wife drives a Suzuki SX4 Crossover Wagon (Her Daily Driver...). Hers is ok to drive for a couple of hours, but can cause leg cramps, back-n-butt aches, and arm discomfort after awhile.

We're looking to add a third vehicle to our household, the aforementioned Tacoma, an Access Cab Pre-Runner model. Our NEED for this vehicle, would be for various hauling at various times. We do a lot of Landscaping, so, between Rocks, Bricks, Trees & Bushes, we're always hauling something or having it Delivered by Lowe's. Another reason we're looking at a Tacoma, is to get into a mid-size truck that is HOPEFULLY Comfortable on a Long..... Long Drive.

We like taking Day-Trips and Over-Nighters, so we're looking for a versatile vehicle that can Haul & Travel the distance. I'm 6'1", 54-yo, and Retired/Retired. In other words, I'm a tall guy that sounds like a Breakfast Cereal when I wake up... SNAP, CRACKLE & POP... and a need to have to be Nowhere at No particular Time!

I've got two upcoming Road-Trips, El Paso (500 miles One-Way...) in Oct, and New Orleans (500 miles One-Way...) in Nov. We're hoping to get a Tacoma by then. Both vehicles we have now are Paid-Off, so we'll only have the Tacoma Payment to worry about.

I did run a SEARCH on here, looking for an answer to my question, but the closest I could get was, "Daily Driver Comfort", regarding commutes of 75 miles or less a day. We're looking for inputs on Long Distance Driving.

Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cheers!

BB
Old 09-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Well old guy, the tacoma is the right vehicle for high mileage purpose. Also if you are getting the truck for high mileage driving you should shell out for a TRD Sport or a TRD offroad, because they have "sport bucket" seats and in my opinion are much more supportive and comfortable then the standard SR5 seats. But some aruge with this saying that there is not much difference and the price isnt worth it (although I have never heard somebody say that the standard seats were more comfortable than the sport seats). What I would do is take a test drive on both and see how you like them.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Aztacotrd is on a distinguished road
Name: Austin
Aztacotrd's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Prerunner access cab as well and for me it's really comfortable. I drove it from Mesa, Az to Tulsa, Ok over two days and was perfectly comfortable, however i'm 6' 1" and 16 years old. And if you want to haul stuff make sure the get the rear spring tsb done.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Don't Tread On Me
08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of

Navy: US NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC
Name: Adam
08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
As far as driving comfort the tacoma is great i dont know about the sr5 seats but my sport seats are great. When i first got my truck i drove it from Missouri ware i bought it to California ware im stationed and the only complaint that i had after that drive was the padding on the door arm rest is lacking a little. Other than that i think it would be a great choice for you!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has the sport seats and is awesome for long distance. No problems driving 12 hours straight. Wouldn't want to put more than me and one other person in it though. The rear seat area is great for suitcases, coolers.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I drive my Tacoma on long road trips (about 300 miles) about once a month and it rides great. I'm really happy with it. I have the TSB springs and that has made it even better when my truck is loaded down with gear.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
JTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of light

JTO's Tacoma Gallery
Before I bought DC TRD Sport I took a ride in my buddies sr5 taco and I have to say that I was not very I'm pressed with comfort. So I was a little concerned when I took mine for a test drive. The difference between the trd and the sr5 was e extremely obvious. Much softer ride in the Trd for sure. With that said, it's still a truck and rides like a truck.
The longest trip ice tacken was from San Diego to las Vegas and I was perfectly comfortable the entire way.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
bagster is on a distinguished road
Army: dog handler
bagster's Tacoma Gallery
The problem is the seat that' comfortable during a 15 minute test drive could turn into a torture grinder after sitting in it a few hours. I have a 2010 access cab SR5 Prerunner and am about your size and age. I find the seats to be pretty darn comfortable. The Tacomas have plenty of head room so you could always tweak the seat with a cushion or whatever if you get to squirming around during a long drive. These trucks have too many other great features going for it to worry too much about the seats
Old 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Drove San Diego to Vegas (300ish) and San Diego to Sacramento(500ish) and both times the ride was smooth and comfortable. Drove the same two trips in my wife's camry and my back was sore from the seats.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I've done a road trip from SC to AZ and back 3 times (2300 miles ea way) and have had no issues with my SR5 seats. I get a little stiff from driving 12 hours a day, but other than that it's comfortable for me.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Old guy here too... longest I've ever driven in THIS Toy is about 700 miles from Vegas to San Diego and back in a day. No problems for me...
But I've done Los Angeles to Gresham Oregon in a 4Runner - 1000 miles in 14 hours with a max speed of around 95. By the time I hit my destination I was overdue for a beer but physically fine.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
I have driven my mine back and forth to Wyoming (1440 miles round trip) three times in the last two months and I have no complaints.
I have the standard SR5 seats and have never had the opportunity to try out the TRD seats. But I agree with KTMRider, go and check them both out, it may be worth the extra dough.

oh and welcome
Old 09-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
The bucket seats are great in my opinion
Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Truck Huntin'
Blackbeard is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired
Blackbeard's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the inputs, Folks! Keep 'em coming!

I've looked at a variety of Trucks on the web, within the last couple of weeks. I've researched:

- Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner (Top of the list at the moment.)
- Ford F-150 Regular & Extended Cab (Too big for my needs.)
- Ford Ranger Super Cab (I had an '83, and it didn't seem to change very much inside. Not gonna happen this go-round.)
- Nissan Frontier (Still on my Short List.)
- Suzuki Equator (Nissan Frontier Clone under the Hood and Body. Still on my Short List.)
- Dodge (Not a consideration in the mix.)

I've had 4 Chevy trucks in the past ('92, '94' and 2000 S-10's, and a '79 Custom.), with the '92 qualifying for a Lemon Law Return, which led to its replacement, the '94. I wrote GM a letter on the '92, telling them that their, "Heartbeat of America"..... had gone into "Cardiac Arrest"! After the 2000's Lease was up, I returned it, and never looked back at any Chevy product.

I stopped by to look at a 2011 Pre-Runner today at my local Toyota Dealer, that they showed on their web Inventory. It was in the Blue that I want, with the Access Cab and SR5 Package. It had already been sold. I did see a Blue 2010 Quad Cab, so at least I had an idea what the color looked like in person. Very nice! I haven't researched the Used Warranties yet, but the Certified Pre-Owned Prices and mileage were very tempting. How does Toyota's Used Warranties work? Does the 2nd Owner get the balance of the Basic and Powertrain Warranties? Just curious. Buying Pre-Owned, may be an option I might consider.

Most of their trucks on the lot were Used Certified Pre-Owned. They had New Trucks, 6 Quad Cabs, 1 Base Access Cab, and 2 Base Regular Cabs that were on the front lot. They had Tundra's comin' out of their arse! Everywhere you turned... Tundra... Tundra... Tundra! I guess since they make 'em in San Antonio here, they're gonna be the Top Lot Filler there.

I'll check out a couple of more Dealers in the San Antonio area next week, and see what they have available. I'd like to take a Test Drive, and get an idea how the leg room, hip room, head room, & shoulder room is going to be for me. Any major changes from the 2010 to 2011 Models, other than the Price?

I'll keep y'all posted on what I find.

Thanks again for your responses!

Cheers!

BB
Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Mmm... Beer
spenny is a splendid one to beholdspenny is a splendid one to beholdspenny is a splendid one to beholdspenny is a splendid one to beholdspenny is a splendid one to beholdspenny is a splendid one to beholdspenny is a splendid one to behold

spenny's Tacoma Gallery
Chev's are probably the best highway trucks.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
wvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
wvtac0's Tacoma Gallery
I just got back from a 900+ (each way) trip in a regular (non-SR5, non-TRD) Access Cap PreRunner. I have no complaints. (23+ mpg on one fill-up) As others have said, be sure and have the "Harsh Ride" TSB accomplished and the TSB for the transmission software update.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
zombiekiller is on a distinguished road
zombiekiller's Tacoma Gallery
so far i've taken a 1320mi trip and a 1464 mi trip in my tacoma. i have lower back issues and am 6'1. i'm happy to say that the ta coma was more comfortable than my 80 series land cruiser, subaru wrx and a saturn vue.

the only thing that beat it was a cadillac cts-v.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
86ceeten has a spectacular aura about86ceeten has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
86ceeten's Tacoma Gallery
I drive a 325 mile trip once a week in my TRD Off Road. I'm in the seat for 5 hours and only stop to get gas and pee. No problems, back and legs feel fine when I get out.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #19
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Every few weeks i drive 450 miles to socal for family reasons, i do this trip with out stopping and trip takes a bit over 7 hours because of canyon driving. It is a confortable truck for those long trips ill tell you that, and there are so many uses for it!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #20
BUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BUZZ5's Tacoma Gallery
I'm near your age & size, 50 & 6'1" & have taken many long trips in my TRD Sport. The only issues that bug me are.... 1. I wish the telescopic steering would extend farther because to get the seat back where it's comfy for my legs I feel like I'm reaching too far for the wheel. 2. I wish the rear slider was power, I like riding with the windows down most of the time & a rear slider would be perfect on the DC. Other than those 2 small issues it is a great truck.