LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Oil change, free but $38 more to change to Syn oil!! Is it worth it??

Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
moulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nice
moulin6801's Tacoma Gallery
1st Oil change, free but $38 more to change to Syn oil!! Is it worth it??

Hey guys, just spent additional $38 on my first oil change to have them switch it to syn oil, but now I'm wondering if it is worth the extra $$ !?
I understand that I may get a extra mpg, but it may not be worth if I compute....
Cheers
David
Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Change it yourself.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Darkknightdant3 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Darkknightdant3's Tacoma Gallery
WOW, i was thinking of doing this for my first oil change, i didnt think it would cost so much just for them to put synthetic oil.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Or if you can't figure out how to do it yourself or don't have a place or things to do it with just buy your own 5 30w Mobil 1 and have it in the truck. Tell them the oil is in the truck. 38 for the oil don't sound correct. For the calculation you can't just use mileage. The future repair costs will be significantly less.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
Hey guys, just spent additional $38 on my first oil change to have them switch it to syn oil, but now I'm wondering if it is worth the extra $$ !?
I understand that I may get a extra mpg, but it may not be worth if I compute....
Cheers
David

I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my Tacoma and that is the amount the dealership told me. I don't really want to change my own oil but the dealerhsip is also going to include rototating the tires and looking over the truck. If you can afford it, WHY NOT ???
Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the oil at wally world last week for my 1999,( i have never paid for an oil change) then had to buy a hose for my 1999 Tacoma,(oil cooler from water pump) at the dealership then...what is right there on parts counter in front of me...use original Toyota oil,....and a picture of mobil 1 oil on the same sign that says use factory parts. I'll take a picture tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
My new truck purchase includes free service for the 1st 25K miles or 2 years...including oil changes.

I will still be changing the oil with Mobile 1 myself.

As I already did at 1200 miles.

When I go in @ 5K for the 1st service, I will have already changed my oil 2 or 3 times...I'll let them do the other 5K service checks...but they will be told to leave the oil alone. I may just ask them to give me the filter...they can keep the Dino.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I change my own oil every 4 months. With the mileage I drive (around 5,000 miles a year) useing synthetic would be a total waste of money. After putting around 350,000 on my last Toyota useing nothing but dino every 3,000 I really don't see a reason to switch. When I sold that truck the engine ran like new and hardly burned a drop of oil.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
96 Tacoma is on a distinguished road
96 Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cheers
David
Hey David, I have had the same debate myself, as a chemist, I can tell you that there is no significant difference between synthetic vs petroleum base. The difference is petroleum is created in the extraction process from crude oil where as synthetic oil is created from a base oil, which is pure base component which as then added with other components to form longer chains. Theoretically, synthetic should be a purer oil than petro base, but you have to remember that contaminants from the machinery that is use to create and purify synthetics do get dirty and release particles into the oil itself. I from my personal experience of driving my 96 for 10 yrs now,the petroleum product is just fine, and that synthetic is not really necessary. They key is to stay consistent, as even though all 10W-40 are supposed to be the same, the small variations between Synthetic vs Petroleum and Mobil vs Pennzoil can be amplified and harm your engine.

My advice is stick to one brand and one type (Petro vs Synth)! When it comes to Cars this is the one case in which truth about loyalty pays off. Stick to one brand for your oil, filters, antifreeze, power steering fluids...etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
If you want synthetic, forget the "free" change. Spend $25 on five quarts of synthetic and a decent filter and change it yourself.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #11
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmarquis View Post
Get your own Mobil 1, take it to the dealer, then the free oil change to syn cost you 26.00
Here's your answer.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #12
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I change my own oil every 4 months. With the mileage I drive (around 5,000 miles a year) useing synthetic would be a total waste of money. After putting around 350,000 on my last Toyota useing nothing but dino every 3,000 I really don't see a reason to switch. When I sold that truck the engine ran like new and hardly burned a drop of oil.

350,000 / 5,000 = 70 years for you to put 350,000 miles on your truck.

I assume your driving habits have changed since then...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
I know i have a first gen but for 5quarts of Mobile1 and a Toyota OEM filter i spend a few cents over $25

Get your mobile1 at wally world and order a pack of OEM filters of a dealership online
Done
Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
^ like he said, a case of oem filters can be bought for cheap and if changing your own oil, this device is a must..
http://www.qwikvalve.com/F103N-12mm-1.5-w-nipple.html
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cheers
David
Stay with the Synthetic, its better for your engine. I would do a DIY oil change though, its simple on the Tacoma, oil filter is right on top, oil plug is easy access.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cheers
David
Go to bobistheoilguy.com and read up. Both synthetic and conventional oil, if displaying the API "certified for gasoline engines" mark, will protect your engine. If you're going to spend extra money on your own oil, consider using a 0W-30 grade (0W-20 for the 4 Cyl.) oil for the best possible cold starting protection, I am.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
From your post I assume that your having it done at a dealership right? Well, theres your problem. Id either do it yourself, or find an oil change shop elsewhere. From all the oil threads ive read on this board, the concensus seems to be that there is no difference, oil is oil is oil.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend changing it yourself and switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #19
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Change it yourself.
what he said. it cost me $37 to do my own with syn oil
Old 09-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #20
pilot is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
pilot's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Change

I can't begin to count how many times I have changed the oil & filter on different vehicles since before I could drive (legally). Other than changing them on my airplane, I haven't done any in a lot of years because I have driven fleet vehicles & the company had a contract with vrs service providers. I have this 2010 Tacoma w/ V-6 & it had 14K miles on it when I purchased in April. I am going to change the oil/filter myself & go to Mobil 1. Crawled under the pu the other day & it appears the crankcase drain plug is just behind (aft) of the skid plate (I assume its a skid plate although its a rear wheel drive). Is that the correct plug? Sure wouldn't want to drain the transmission. (Weird that today's transmissions (auto) don't have dipsticks to check the oil level and I guess there is no place to add oil. Dealer advised its a 100,000 mile transmission & nothing to do till then.) While I am asking questions-----does the V-6 engine have a timing chain of belt?