1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Oil change, free but $38 more to change to Syn oil!! Is it worth it??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by moulin6801, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    moulin6801

moulin6801 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys, just spent additional $38 on my first oil change to have them switch it to syn oil, but now I'm wondering if it is worth the extra $$ !?
    I understand that I may get a extra mpg, but it may not be worth if I compute....
    Cheers
    David

2. Sep 4, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Change it yourself.

3. Sep 4, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Darkknightdant3

Darkknightdant3 Active Member

Member:
    Charleston AFB
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC, TRD Off-Road,V6, 4X4, 6-speed manual
    Off-Road package, V6 Tow package, 4X4, 6-CD changer, 6-speed manual transmission, double cab, black.
    WOW, i was thinking of doing this for my first oil change, i didnt think it would cost so much just for them to put synthetic oil.

4. Sep 4, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Or if you can't figure out how to do it yourself or don't have a place or things to do it with just buy your own 5 30w Mobil 1 and have it in the truck. Tell them the oil is in the truck. 38 for the oil don't sound correct. For the calculation you can't just use mileage. The future repair costs will be significantly less.

5. Sep 4, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    BuckNakedBooda

BuckNakedBooda There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member:
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4

I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my Tacoma and that is the amount the dealership told me. I don't really want to change my own oil but the dealerhsip is also going to include rototating the tires and looking over the truck. If you can afford it, WHY NOT ???

6. Sep 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I bought the oil at wally world last week for my 1999,( i have never paid for an oil change) then had to buy a hose for my 1999 Tacoma,(oil cooler from water pump) at the dealership then...what is right there on parts counter in front of me...use original Toyota oil,....and a picture of mobil 1 oil on the same sign that says use factory parts. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

7. Sep 4, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    My new truck purchase includes free service for the 1st 25K miles or 2 years...including oil changes.

I will still be changing the oil with Mobile 1 myself.

As I already did at 1200 miles.

When I go in @ 5K for the 1st service, I will have already changed my oil 2 or 3 times...I'll let them do the other 5K service checks...but they will be told to leave the oil alone. I may just ask them to give me the filter...they can keep the Dino.

8. Sep 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I change my own oil every 4 months. With the mileage I drive (around 5,000 miles a year) useing synthetic would be a total waste of money. After putting around 350,000 on my last Toyota useing nothing but dino every 3,000 I really don't see a reason to switch. When I sold that truck the engine ran like new and hardly burned a drop of oil.

9. Sep 4, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    96 Tacoma

96 Tacoma New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    Hey David, I have had the same debate myself, as a chemist, I can tell you that there is no significant difference between synthetic vs petroleum base. The difference is petroleum is created in the extraction process from crude oil where as synthetic oil is created from a base oil, which is pure base component which as then added with other components to form longer chains. Theoretically, synthetic should be a purer oil than petro base, but you have to remember that contaminants from the machinery that is use to create and purify synthetics do get dirty and release particles into the oil itself. I from my personal experience of driving my 96 for 10 yrs now,the petroleum product is just fine, and that synthetic is not really necessary. They key is to stay consistent, as even though all 10W-40 are supposed to be the same, the small variations between Synthetic vs Petroleum and Mobil vs Pennzoil can be amplified and harm your engine.

My advice is stick to one brand and one type (Petro vs Synth)! When it comes to Cars this is the one case in which truth about loyalty pays off. Stick to one brand for your oil, filters, antifreeze, power steering fluids...etc.

Hope this helps.

10. Sep 5, 2010 at 1:32 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you want synthetic, forget the "free" change. Spend $25 on five quarts of synthetic and a decent filter and change it yourself.

11. Sep 5, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Here's your answer.

12. Sep 5, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)

350,000 / 5,000 = 70 years for you to put 350,000 miles on your truck.

I assume your driving habits have changed since then...:p

13. Sep 5, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    mattleegee

mattleegee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO 6sp
    I know i have a first gen but for 5quarts of Mobile1 and a Toyota OEM filter i spend a few cents over $25

Get your mobile1 at wally world and order a pack of OEM filters of a dealership online
    Done

14. Sep 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
  15. Sep 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Stay with the Synthetic, its better for your engine. I would do a DIY oil change though, its simple on the Tacoma, oil filter is right on top, oil plug is easy access.

16. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Go to bobistheoilguy.com and read up. Both synthetic and conventional oil, if displaying the API "certified for gasoline engines" mark, will protect your engine. If you're going to spend extra money on your own oil, consider using a 0W-30 grade (0W-20 for the 4 Cyl.) oil for the best possible cold starting protection, I am.

17. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    From your post I assume that your having it done at a dealership right? Well, theres your problem. Id either do it yourself, or find an oil change shop elsewhere. From all the oil threads ive read on this board, the concensus seems to be that there is no difference, oil is oil is oil.

18. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I recommend changing it yourself and switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic :)

19. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    what he said. it cost me $37 to do my own with syn oil

20. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    pilot

pilot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    I can't begin to count how many times I have changed the oil & filter on different vehicles since before I could drive (legally). Other than changing them on my airplane, I haven't done any in a lot of years because I have driven fleet vehicles & the company had a contract with vrs service providers. I have this 2010 Tacoma w/ V-6 & it had 14K miles on it when I purchased in April. I am going to change the oil/filter myself & go to Mobil 1. Crawled under the pu the other day & it appears the crankcase drain plug is just behind (aft) of the skid plate (I assume its a skid plate although its a rear wheel drive). Is that the correct plug? Sure wouldn't want to drain the transmission. (Weird that today's transmissions (auto) don't have dipsticks to check the oil level and I guess there is no place to add oil. Dealer advised its a 100,000 mile transmission & nothing to do till then.) While I am asking questions-----does the V-6 engine have a timing chain of belt?

Products Discussed in

To Top