Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

fuel milage mud terrain vs. all terrain

Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
fuel milage mud terrain vs. all terrain

I'm currently running 285/75 r16 pro comp xterrain mud tires. They came with the wheels that I got. The fuel economy isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was wondering what the difference in mpg's would be if I switched to BF Goodrich All terrains. Would it be just a small improvment or more? I like the look of mud terrains and will stick with them if all terrains will only help a little?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
they both are very heavy tires, A/T might be a tab lighter but its a bfg, they weight the same as the pro comps...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
you woudlnt notice it unless the size was different.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
Thread Killer
Greenblazer will become famous soon enoughGreenblazer will become famous soon enough
Army: 64c Driver
Greenblazer's Tacoma Gallery
If you put on a heavier tire you will pay for it at the pump for sure, rolling resistance and aerodynamic changes will have an effect on fuel economy too. Running your tires at maximum sidewall pressure will improve FE, but will make it ride a little stiffer.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer
Old 07-09-2008, 04:10 AM   #5
rio112 is on a distinguished road
rio112's Tacoma Gallery
i think its also a question of "whre do you wanna go?"
do you really need pure MTs ?
I drove the BfG ATs on a offroad course, and wonderd how far they gone,
also in the snow.
those tires are very quite on the steet.
currently i use cooper discoverer st, and to me its the best choice, cause
i drove on sandy beaches in greece, in the snowy alps and in the muddy black forest in the wintertime without damage and a good performance.
it a 50/50 tire
probably is this an option for you...
(the mpg is simular to the ats)...cause you can drive the st with a higher pressure on the road....

greets
rio
Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You won't notice the difference.....just not much difference at all in weight.

I'd be more concerned with drivability in wet/snowy weather. If you are happy with the Xterrains in the wet/snow - then stick with them. Don't assume all M/T tires are gonna ride the same in those conditions - as you might be disappointed. A/T tires are a GREAT all around daily driving tire for all sorts of conditions and tend to be better in wet/snow than any M/T tire.

Play it safe.... get A/T's.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You won't notice the difference.....just not much difference at all in weight.

I'd be more concerned with drivability in wet/snowy weather. If you are happy with the Xterrains in the wet/snow - then stick with them. Don't assume all M/T tires are gonna ride the same in those conditions - as you might be disappointed. A/T tires are a GREAT all around daily driving tire for all sorts of conditions and tend to be better in wet/snow than any M/T tire.

Play it safe.... get A/T's.

to add... you don't have to go with BFG's either. I have a set of Toyo Open Country A/T on my truck and I like them a lot more than the BFG's A/T's that came on the truck when I bought it. They seem to do a bit better in the snow as well than the BFG's but I don't hit snow all that often.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4x4ar3 View Post
to add... you don't have to go with BFG's either. I have a set of Toyo Open Country A/T on my truck and I like them a lot more than the BFG's A/T's that came on the truck when I bought it. They seem to do a bit better in the snow as well than the BFG's but I don't hit snow all that often.
did u buy the truck used to have the a/t's on it?