Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Change oil myself or use the "free factory change"

Old 09-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Change oil myself or use the "free factory change"

I have the "free dealer oil change deal on my truck"
Sitting about 3200 miles and I hate to throw away the "freebies" but I want to go syn. and I allways like to change my own oil.

I do trust the dealer to do it proprerly but it is a drive and I know I will have to pay more for syn.

Guess I am changing my oil tomorrow
I have a case of filters and mobil 1 at the ready so here we go.
Think I talked myself into it.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i got the free(even though i paid when i bought the truck) oil changes for 2 years.ill use the dealer for that but i would never let them do anything else
Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
good choice
Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
i had the dealer do mine for the first 5 years of owning my truck (part of a warrenty i got along with the truck) the dealer was about an hour away from my house tho. there is a dealer in town, but i dont trust them for shit.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Just have them do it, that's what I'm doing for my first 2 free years.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
My new truck purchase includes free service for the 1st 25K miles or 2 years...including oil changes.

I will still be changing the oil with Mobile 1 myself.

As I already did at 1200 miles.

When I go in @ 5K for the 1st service, I will have already changed my oil 2 or 3 times...I'll let them do the other 5K service checks...but they will be told to leave the oil alone. I may just ask them to give me the filter...they can keep the Dino.

(re-post from a similar thread)
Old 09-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
did my own with amsoil.....i called and asked to get an alignment instead hahahhaa....denied!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
ctxtaco will become famous soon enoughctxtaco will become famous soon enough

ctxtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Out of 2 free oil changes at the dealer, they managed to 1) Spill drained filter oil and leave the plastic catch bottle in the frame, 2) Fail to reset the maint due reminder, 3) Overfilled the oil crankcase by 1 inch on the dip stick, 4) Over tightened the drain plug so tight, the wrench had to be beaten with a hammer to get it loose---was on tight because it had NO gasket on it. -----THEY WILL NOT EVER TOUCH MY TRUCK AGAIN.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctxtaco View Post
Out of 2 free oil changes at the dealer, they managed to 1) Spill drained filter oil and leave the plastic catch bottle in the frame, 2) Fail to reset the maint due reminder, 3) Overfilled the oil crankcase by 1 inch on the dip stick, 4) Over tightened the drain plug so tight, the wrench had to be beaten with a hammer to get it loose---was on tight because it had NO gasket on it. -----THEY WILL NOT EVER TOUCH MY TRUCK AGAIN.
WOW THATS REALLY BAD
MY SISTER N LAW WORKED AT A PONTIAC DEALER.THEY FORGOT TO ADD THE OIL AFTER DRAINING IT.THE CUSTOMER CALLED WHEN HE GOT HOME AND THOUGHT IT WAS THE FUNNIEST THING.I WOULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE
Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctxtaco View Post
Sad isn't it.

I had the Chebby dealership change the oil in my 65 thousand dollar Corvette C6 only to leave the drain pan plug finger tight...I noticed this when I saw some oil on my garage floor awhile after returning home.

When I called the stealership service manager and raised holly hell...he calmly advised me to bring it back so they could tighten it up.

They plain don't give a shit.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
back in the day before i had all the tools and a garage, and was very young lol i was taking my 4runner to dealer for all oil changes.
one time they put in wrong filter because 2 miles from the place i was leaking oil all over, good thing i was parked and at my next stop not all the way heading home.
quickly drove it back to dealer they redid the oil change with correct filter and i make them go clean the other parking lot.

ever since then i never trusted the stealerships.
then i'd start to notice little things and became ocd about maintenance, now even if they pay me i wouldn't let them touch my cars ;p

free oil changes are a great marketing tool they use, also great for people that are not car people, i'm assuming enthusiasts are on the forums diy is the only way to go, it'll only get you more familiar with your vehicle...i could go on and on ;p
Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Yes this is the problem.
I like to do as much as possible myself.
Hate to leave the "freebies out there but by the time I drive over ther discuss why I do not want the recall pedal cut done and do want the TSB sloppy steering done it will eat up most of the day.
So, guess I will take 1/2 an hour and do my own.

So many scarry oil change stories out there espically the quicky lube shops.