1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extend rear brake line install... how hard?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Sep 6, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I've been too lazy lately. I've installed my wheels, spacers, a new caliper, bled the brakes in the front, bolt on sliders, skid plate, front bumper, front and rear shocks, rear leaf springs and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting... BUT... I've never worked on the rear brakes (especially with drum brakes). I've had the 3" extended brake lines for about 6 months and I've been too lazy to install them.

How hard is the install? I'm assuming I need to bleed the rear brakes when I'm done, right? Any special tools needed? Any advice?

TIA.

2. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    CGtaco

CGtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Fog light Mod Total Chaos UCA's Front Icons Rear Icon / res
  3. Sep 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    swissrallyman

swissrallyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The install would be easy but tricky, but I was too lazy to do it as well, so instead I made a 3/4'' spacer that goes between the brakeline bracket and the axle, and it does the trick. I have Dakars and under max flex the brake lines hardly get tight.

Sorry that doesn't really answer your questions, but an option to consider!

4. Sep 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    ninja90177

ninja90177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC 4x4 Off-Road
    Icon 2.5 C/Os, Wheeler's AAL, OME N182, 265/75-16 KM2s, Murdered Emblems
    It's kind of a PITA.

It helps to have hands instead of paws. I'm a fairly long-limbed, skinny guy, and it helps when working on your own shit in any scenario, but there isn't a whole lot of room to work with at the bracket. The worst part, of course. Having the proper wrenches helps but there's not a ton of room to spin 'em. I did lose a fair amount of fluid.

When all was said and done, we did a proper bleeding and I can rest easy knowing that I have quite a bit of room to flex and don't have to worry as much about the lines.

I wish I could give you a time frame, but I was doing my springs at the same time as the brake lines. An area we really took our time doing since the coil-overs kinda kicked our asses. I'd say about 30 mins plus bleeding if I had to do another truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top