1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a Tacoma, advice needed!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fishtacoz, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    fishtacoz

fishtacoz [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    not yet
    Hey this is my first post, I am new to the forum. I am thinking of buying a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 2x4 Prerunner. The truck is from Oregon, and I am from California, what kind of fees or issues (DMV,taxes, etc) should I be aware of before buying this Tacoma and taking it back to CA? Any helps or advice would be superb, thanks.

2. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Welcome...I have no clue...:D

3. Sep 8, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    If you are buying from a dealer in Oregon you will have to pay a fee for a temp tag from Oregon but no taxes or registration fees other than the temp tag. You will have to bring the vehicle to CA and get it inspected and pay the tax/tag/registration at the CA DMV. Good Luck.

4. Sep 8, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    The temp tag shouldn't cost you anything from the dealer but if you are charged they are about $20 for a 30 day temp permit. You won't have any problems from the Oregon side. On the California side you may run in to issues if it isn't compliant with California smog laws.

5. Sep 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    pretty much all cars nowdays have 50 stat emissions standard. There should be a lil sticker somewhere in the engine bay that says.

When you buy in Oregon you pay no sales tax as they don't have one. However when you go to register the truck in CA you present them with the bill of sale and then the state of CA charges you your local sales tax rate on the purchase price of the vehicle.

eg. you paid 10,000 for the truck in Oregon, when you register it in CA you would owe them whatever the registration fee is + 8.25% of 10,000 or $825

6. Sep 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    In my honest opinion. I wouldn't buy a 2005+ Tacoma w/o a warranty.

7. Sep 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    docbrown

docbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    How many miles? How much? double cab, access cab...? Details. I woudn't worry too much about it being a 2005 if the miles, condition and price are right. If you are concerned about the condition, have a mechanic check it out and run a carfax on it.

8. Sep 8, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    fishtacoz

fishtacoz [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    not yet
    Its a 2005 toyota tacoma prerunner access cab with 33 miles on it,im buying it used from a private party., and shes asking 16500 for it.

9. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    33 miles for a 5 year old truck?!! Wow

10. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    fishtacoz

fishtacoz [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    not yet
    I mean 33k miles sorry bout that, is that a deal or should i pass this one up, theres couple scratches and just alittle rust near rear towing area.

11. Sep 9, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    Remember an aftermarket "warranty" is really an insurance policy - not a manufacturer's guarantee

The decision to buy such a policy should depend upon:

1. Price
    2. Your need for coverage
    3. The exclusions and deductibles
    4. The reputation/solvency of the insurer

What's going to wear out soon on an '05 Prerunner? Probably wear items like brakes, belts, shocks, control arms, fluids, etc., which are likely not covered by an aftermarket policy. IMHO, better to set aside $2k in cash as a reserve fund for when you need it.

12. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    docbrown

docbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    That sounds a little high. Kelly Blue Book values for Private Party start at 15,435 in good condition. Of course that was assuming just a base Access Cab Prerunner with (factory)towing package. Make sure the tow package is factory. A factory tow package has the additional transmission and oil cooler not just the receiver and wiring. I was also assuming an auto transmission. Check KBB.com and enter what the vehicle has as far as accessories (i.e. alloy rims, cruise, power windows, etc). Maybe the truck is maxed out.

As far as mileage, 33K is really nothing on one of these trucks. My '05 has almost 100K more than that and I would not hesitate to get in it and drive from FL to CA.

As for the rust near the towing area: If it is just on the receiver, that 's nothing to worry about - you can rattle can that with some rustoleum if it bothers you. If it is on the actual sheet metal of the truck, then that's a different story.

Products Discussed in

To Top