Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

VSC and Lift interaction - how common is it?

View Poll Results: How did your VSC and Lift interact?
I lifted my VSC truck and had NO problems with VSC. 80 64.00%
I lifted my truck and had some problems, but they went away after I did a "zero point calibration." 6 4.80%
I lifted my truck and am continuing to have minor problems, but I'm living with them. 37 29.60%
After I lifted my truck my VSC rendered my truck unsafe/undrivable/really bad so I removed the lift. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
VSC and Lift interaction - how common is it?

I've searched the forums, and I feel like I've probably read every thread that mentions both VSC and Lift. Clearly there are potential problems, some have been solved by re-zeroing the VSC, some have NOT been solved by that, some folks have had problems so severe they undid the lift and went back to factory ride height.

But how common an issue is it? Let's find out. Participate in this poll if you have a VSC equipped 2nd gen Taco, and have lifted it 2" or more. For purposes of this poll - a Bilstein 1.75" ride height adjustment counts at stock height.

So, after you lifted, what how did your VSC system react?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
mine seems to be fine but i will find out for sure this winter
Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
no problems here
Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
3" front and rear...no issues w/ VSC
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
The service manual is very clear. If you are required to make any changes to your front end alignment due to aftermarket modifications then you must recalibrate the VSC.

See this thread for more info on that: Recalibrating VSC, why & how?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
i recalibrated mine, and i still have problems. PITA.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! Keep those answers coming.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcompliant View Post
i recalibrated mine, and i still have problems. PITA.
What kind of problems ? i have a 3.25" front lift on mine and a dakar leaf set on the back and after calibration have had 0 issues
Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
bump.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
What kind of problems ? i have a 3.25" front lift on mine and a dakar leaf set on the back and after calibration have had 0 issues
i wish i had your luck

Mine is a DCLB, so it may have something to do with the length of the truck. On moderate turns, sometimes VSC kicks in. I can never get it to kick in intentionally when i take corners pretty fast, but when i'm just cruising along, say at a cloverleaf on the highway, it'll kick it at around 25mph. freakin annoying.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Purely as a mental exercise, I observe the following:

When I start up the truck, I can disable VSC by pressing and holding the "car on skidding tires" button for three to five seconds, until the "car on skidding tires OFF" lights up on the dash. (A quicker press results in a different mode, with the "Auto LSD" light lit, and VSC coming on and off with vehcle speed!)

Access to that button is pretty easy - there's a little micro-glovebox right underneath it that is removed to gain access to some of the fuses.

It should be possible to make up a little circuit that replaces, or goes in parallel with that switch, that automatically detects when power first comes on, and closes the switch circuit for, say, five seconds simulating a user press of the VSC disable.

Then, your VSC would automatically be disabled every time you started your truck.

As I mentioned, I observe this simply as a hypothetical mental exercise. DO NOT ACTUALLY DO THIS. DISABLING VSC REMOVES AN IMPORTANT SAFETY FEATURE THAT WAS DESIGNED AND BUILT BY THE TOYOTA MOTOR COMPANY. DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY MAY RESULT FROM MODIFYING YOUR TRUCK IN THIS WAY. MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR TRUCKS ELECTRONICS MAY VOID PARTS OF YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Purely as a mental exercise, I observe the following:

When I start up the truck, I can disable VSC by pressing and holding the "car on skidding tires" button for three to five seconds, until the "car on skidding tires OFF" lights up on the dash. (A quicker press results in a different mode, with the "Auto LSD" light lit, and VSC coming on and off with vehcle speed!)

Access to that button is pretty easy - there's a little micro-glovebox right underneath it that is removed to gain access to some of the fuses.

It should be possible to make up a little circuit that replaces, or goes in parallel with that switch, that automatically detects when power first comes on, and closes the switch circuit for, say, five seconds simulating a user press of the VSC disable.

Then, your VSC would automatically be disabled every time you started your truck.

As I mentioned, I observe this simply as a hypothetical mental exercise. DO NOT ACTUALLY DO THIS. DISABLING VSC REMOVES AN IMPORTANT SAFETY FEATURE THAT WAS DESIGNED AND BUILT BY THE TOYOTA MOTOR COMPANY. DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY MAY RESULT FROM MODIFYING YOUR TRUCK IN THIS WAY. MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR TRUCKS ELECTRONICS MAY VOID PARTS OF YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY.
I actually do turn it off manually when I am coming up to a turn that is susceptable to VSC triggering, but I have to wait till I'm under 30mph for it to turn off. When I reach 30mph+, it turns back on by itself.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
If you press and hold it for five seconds when you start the truck, and it's not moving, it should remain disabled until you turn off the truck.

The name of the circuit I was mentioning is, I believe, a "Time Delay Relay" which is a term you can google on.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
If you press and hold it for five seconds when you start the truck, and it's not moving, it should remain disabled until you turn off the truck.

The name of the circuit I was mentioning is, I believe, a "Time Delay Relay" which is a term you can google on.
Ah, I did not know that. I'll give that a shot tonight.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
DaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura about
Army: Navy / Army
Name: Dave
DaveSmith's Tacoma Gallery
Is the Dealer really resetting the VSC? How can we tell?

I wonder how many people go into their local dealer to get their VSC reset only to have the dealer NOT actually reset the VSC but tell them that it was reset. If the dealer has no idea what we are talking about and insists that the VCS can not be re-zeroed until proven wrong by papers printed out from TacomaWorld I wonder if they are actually really resetting the VSC properly. I don't trust my dealer to change my oil. Anyone know of a way to verify that the VSC is actually reset? Anyone know of a Northern CA dealership that knows how to work on an aftermarket Tacoma?

Anyone interested in buying the test equipment to do the recalibration as a group and then passing the gear on to the next person on the list. If 20 guys go in on the purchase we might be able to get all the gear for about $20/each. (I have no idea how much the gear costs, the $20 is just an example)
Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it yourself with a jumper wire
Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
DaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura about
If you zeroed and rest your VSC with your own two hands please post.

Has anyone actually zeroed and rest their VSC with a jumper wire? If so please post. I'm afraid to try it until someone tells me that they themselves have done it and that it worked. I'm afraid that this might be like the "is it safe to shave/grind the front brake calipers to get 16" wheels to fit" question. 100 members say it's safe and that they have heard of someone that did it but in all actuality it is very unsafe and shouldn't be done.

If you used a jumper wire to zero/reset your VSC please post. If you heard of someone doing it or read about someone doing it please do NOT post.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
WTF pricing of VSC zero/reset.

Maita Toyota of Sacramento, Ca just quoted me $120 to zero and rest the VSC. This was after I had to explain to them how to do it and what it was for.