1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

crap ass mileage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tcoe99, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sep 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    tcoe99

tcoe99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    sask
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    leveling kit
    thats a good idea but would tell me nothing other than what it does unloaded. besides that, i calculate it every 2 days when i get gas after driving down the same roads over and over

2. Sep 15, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    Federal MPG standards aren't done on YOUR local roads with all YOUR gear loaded in under YOUR driving conditions.

If you don't make an attempt to get the sticker mileage, then you will never know if your truck along with your driving habits is capable of getting anything better that what you get now. so you can't really call it "crap ass mileage" unless you can get something better.

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    tcoe99

Member:
    sask
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    leveling kit
    I have been running the numbers for two years. I got 22-24 when new, then down to 18, then put lift on 13-14. it held steady at that and then dropped for no reason. I can call it crap because i know what it should get cause i got two years of records. My truck is my office im in it every day, i know what days were wet, how many km's, what i hauled. It is what it is, federal mpg dont mean shit cause ill never hit that #, and i dont expect to get it. I would be happy to get it back around the 15 mark, and trust me im trying.

4. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    tcoe99

Member:
    sask
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    leveling kit
    I took it in last friday for a ujoint and the mileage problem. they fixed the ujoint but shrugged and said there is nothing wrong with it, but they reprogrammed the throttle and that should fix it? Quizzed them on the plugs, and why toyota uses 2 different kinds. he said my plugs are perfect and i was stupid for thinking they would use ngk and denso. I went and got new plugs, put them in and yes it still had original plugs. Its gettin 13mpg now so im a little happier.

5. Oct 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    On my brother's 2nd gen his mileage will go down if driving the same road a whole bunch. Just take off the battery terminal for 10 min and put it back on to reset the ecu. He does this about every other month. His mileage goes down to 17 and after the reset will bounce up to 20 again.

6. Nov 20, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    talisker

talisker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road SR-5 W/1 Ton wood pellets
    Firestone Ride Rite airbags
    I've been averaging about 17mpg. Yesterday I did an extended trip with an average speed of about 50mph and got 22.1mpg while being really light on the accelerator. I'm guessing that's about as good as I'll ever get with the 4.0, 4wd and 6spd.

My mileage did seem to drop after replacing the factory plugs at 100k! Couldn't believe they were still in there but they were in relatively good condition.

Products Discussed in

To Top