1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't bring myself to buy 17x9, -12mm wheels

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Priddle, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    The wheels I like are 17x9, -12 offset. They are XD wheels. I know they stick out past the fender by 1.5". Some pics I have seen on forums doesn't make it look so stuck out, others do look really stuck out. My problem is the chances of rocks/dirt/debris etc getting flicked up on the truck, possibly chipping paint. Plus I don't want the tires too far out past the fender.

I PM'ed c0astie31 about his Tacoma that has 18" XD Monsters and 285 BFG AT's and the pics of his truck would say that the tires hardly stick out at all, and he confirmed it for me. I don't understand why some stick out more than others despite the same rim specs.

I am a fan of the XD Revolvers. Plan B is a set of Pro Comp 7098's that are only 8" wide with 0mm offset. That is a safe bet but I prefer the XD's.

Plan C is keep my SR5 alloys and get 1.5" spacers.

2. Sep 9, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    If you keep your front mud flaps on, they will catch a majority of what the tires will throw. I have 17x9 with -12mm offset wheels, and I dont have much of an issue really. My tires are 265/70/17 Revos.

The only downside in my opinion to rims with this spec is that some 265/70/17 tires are spec'd for an 8.5" wide rim at the max. This could limit what tires you want on them (i.e. the duratracs in this size won't work, unless you dont care about running them outside of the manufacturer recommendations). The fix to this is to step up to 285s where this problem is solved - though you introduce a few others.

3. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts

there is a chip resistant coating under the paint on the lower doors to prevent that.

if you look in my gallery, My addicts are 17 x 9 with -12 offset

Justin

4. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    I think mine are 17x9 -10mm offset. Gear alloys. Follow my sig.

5. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    Thanks for the replies guys. The choice now is leading towards XD rims based on comments above. For tires it is a toss up between BFG AT's (which I had on my 03 Taco and were a great tire) and Kumho KL71's.

Justin, I have sized up those Addicts before and like those as well. Can the beadlocks come off by any chance if one wanted them to?

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    I contacted XD for my wheels and they had them available in a 00 mm offset. I did not want to trim or have rubbing issues and so far I love these wheels! I had looked in to so many different styles but lucked out, xd is pretty cool to they got me in touch with a local dealer and everything was seamless.

Products Discussed in

To Top