Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can't bring myself to buy 17x9, -12mm wheels

Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Can't bring myself to buy 17x9, -12mm wheels

The wheels I like are 17x9, -12 offset. They are XD wheels. I know they stick out past the fender by 1.5". Some pics I have seen on forums doesn't make it look so stuck out, others do look really stuck out. My problem is the chances of rocks/dirt/debris etc getting flicked up on the truck, possibly chipping paint. Plus I don't want the tires too far out past the fender.

I PM'ed c0astie31 about his Tacoma that has 18" XD Monsters and 285 BFG AT's and the pics of his truck would say that the tires hardly stick out at all, and he confirmed it for me. I don't understand why some stick out more than others despite the same rim specs.

I am a fan of the XD Revolvers. Plan B is a set of Pro Comp 7098's that are only 8" wide with 0mm offset. That is a safe bet but I prefer the XD's.

Plan C is keep my SR5 alloys and get 1.5" spacers.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
If you keep your front mud flaps on, they will catch a majority of what the tires will throw. I have 17x9 with -12mm offset wheels, and I dont have much of an issue really. My tires are 265/70/17 Revos.

The only downside in my opinion to rims with this spec is that some 265/70/17 tires are spec'd for an 8.5" wide rim at the max. This could limit what tires you want on them (i.e. the duratracs in this size won't work, unless you dont care about running them outside of the manufacturer recommendations). The fix to this is to step up to 285s where this problem is solved - though you introduce a few others.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
As long as iv had my tires, and as much as iv offroaded. There are no chips on my rockers from rocks flicking up... And I flick boulders, not pebbles like at's will do. Just my .02

there is a chip resistant coating under the paint on the lower doors to prevent that.

if you look in my gallery, My addicts are 17 x 9 with -12 offset

Justin
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
I think mine are 17x9 -10mm offset. Gear alloys. Follow my sig.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies guys. The choice now is leading towards XD rims based on comments above. For tires it is a toss up between BFG AT's (which I had on my 03 Taco and were a great tire) and Kumho KL71's.

Justin, I have sized up those Addicts before and like those as well. Can the beadlocks come off by any chance if one wanted them to?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddle View Post
The wheels I like are 17x9, -12 offset. They are XD wheels. I know they stick out past the fender by 1.5". Some pics I have seen on forums doesn't make it look so stuck out, others do look really stuck out. My problem is the chances of rocks/dirt/debris etc getting flicked up on the truck, possibly chipping paint. Plus I don't want the tires too far out past the fender.

I PM'ed c0astie31 about his Tacoma that has 18" XD Monsters and 285 BFG AT's and the pics of his truck would say that the tires hardly stick out at all, and he confirmed it for me. I don't understand why some stick out more than others despite the same rim specs.

I am a fan of the XD Revolvers. Plan B is a set of Pro Comp 7098's that are only 8" wide with 0mm offset. That is a safe bet but I prefer the XD's.

Plan C is keep my SR5 alloys and get 1.5" spacers.
I contacted XD for my wheels and they had them available in a 00 mm offset. I did not want to trim or have rubbing issues and so far I love these wheels! I had looked in to so many different styles but lucked out, xd is pretty cool to they got me in touch with a local dealer and everything was seamless.