Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

performance chip

Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
TPAP is on a distinguished road
TPAP's Tacoma Gallery
Question performance chip

Anyone have any info on a performance chip? Are they available for 09 TRD Sport? If available, would you need exhaust and intake to get the most?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do some searching. There is plenty of info on the site.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
apr x-1 wins, ask gadget, he knows all about it!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
johnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to behold
johnny12345's Tacoma Gallery
Performance chip/flashes/tunes are more directed toward motors with forced induction, with our naturaly aspirated motors you won't see any large gains. With a chip you can tweak the timing and air/fuel ratio which result in minimal gains compared to a motor with a turbo or supercharger.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny12345 View Post
Performance chip/flashes/tunes are more directed toward motors with forced induction, with our naturaly aspirated motors you won't see any large gains. With a chip you can tweak the timing and air/fuel ratio which result in minimal gains compared to a motor with a turbo or supercharger.
I wouldn't say minimal gains. You can see some good numbers with better fuel ratios, higher octane tunes and timing settings. Yes it would be more for forced induction due to the forced induction. Also there is no chips, flashes or programmers available for 2ng gen Tacomas. You either have to lie to the computer with a URD MAF calibrator or replace it with an aftermarket computer like the APR system.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Pyrite FD will become famous soon enoughPyrite FD will become famous soon enough

Pyrite FD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I wouldn't say minimal gains. You can see some good numbers with better fuel ratios, higher octane tunes and timing settings. Yes it would be more for forced induction due to the forced induction. Also there is no chips, flashes or programmers available for 2ng gen Tacomas. You either have to lie to the computer with a URD MAF calibrator or replace it with an aftermarket computer like the APR system.

http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicl...ota-Tacoma-40L

http://www.jetchip.com/V_FORCE_PLUS.asp

never tried any, maybe they suck...but saying there are no chips, flashes, or programmers available for 2nd gen is incorrect.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
I don't suppose there's anything out there to get rid of the throttle-by-wire lag and RPM hangs?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
For the throttle, yes: http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518991
But the problem, in my opinion, isn't worth wasting $330 on to 'fix' it.
Unfortunately they don't have one of those available for the 2005-2008 MTs.

But anyway, from what I read, that thing just sends signals more frequently to the ECU or something. The way I understood it was basically it would decrease the lag, but wouldn't do anything to help the RPM hangs. Does that sound right?

The price is high, but honestly, if it did make the throttle react more like a normal vehicle, I would buy one (if it was available).
Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrite FD View Post
http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicl...ota-Tacoma-40L

http://www.jetchip.com/V_FORCE_PLUS.asp

never tried any, maybe they suck...but saying there are no chips, flashes, or programmers available for 2nd gen is incorrect.
The Unichip is a piggy back system and the Jetchip is just a fancy Ultragauge. I doubt it will do anything. Toyota is strict about their computer codes and a simple programmer won't work. That's why you don't see Superchips, Hypertech, Bully Dog, etc make hand held programmers for Toyotas.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
Quote:
The X-1 is an aftermarket piggy back unit that connects directly to the OEM ECU...you also have to install the cam gears (which are more aggressive than stock) and the colder thermostat...

I am N/A and it made a big difference in throttle control...

its also self tuning but you can do data logs send those to APR and/or Gadget from URD and they'll tweak the tune even more to better compliment your current performance mods...
Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0LLPHR33 View Post
The X-1 is an aftermarket piggy back unit that connects directly to the OEM ECU.
Ah. I thought it was a full replacement computer.

Still no chip or programmer though.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ah. I thought it was a full replacement computer.

Still no chip or programmer though.
it is a tuner...so technically you can program your tunes...the X-1 is made to work parallel with your existing factory ECU...why would you want any other programmer/chip when the X-1 is specifically made for the 1GR-FE motor and has been proven time and time again?

if you want full replacement I suggest going with Halltech...but it won't be plug and play and there be tones of wire splicing involved...but Halltech EMS (Engine Management Systems) don't make 1 for our 1GR-FE motor...it would cost you a lot more than the X-1...the only way to run a Halltech system is to get their E6GMX but that would still include a lot of wire splicing...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
it is a tuner...so technically you can program your tunes...the X-1 is made to work parallel with your existing factory ECU...why would you want any other programmer/chip when the X-1 is specifically made for the 1GR-FE motor and has been proven time and time again?

if you want full replacement I suggest going with Halltech...but it won't be plug and play and there be tones of wire splicing involved...but Halltech EMS (Engine Management Systems) don't make 1 for our 1GR-FE motor...it would cost you a lot more than the X-1...the only way to run a Halltech system is to get their E6GMX but that would still include a lot of wire splicing...
To me a tuner is something you plug in to the OBD 2 port and download a tune. That is something that is not made for Toyotas.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #15

Quote:
To me a tuner is something you plug in to the OBD 2 port and download a tune. That is something that is not made for Toyotas.
but having the X-1 which constantly monitors everything is even better...not only that you can adjust tunes just by using a jump drive (that is provided with the X-1 kit) but any jump drive will do as long as the file is correctly named...

the X-1 also allows you to connect your laptop directly to the X-1, monitor real time data and diagnose the data log for better tuning capabilities...

what more do you really want?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
but having the X-1 which constantly monitors everything is even better...not only that you can adjust tunes just by using a jump drive (that is provided with the X-1 kit) but any jump drive will do as long as the file is correctly named...

the X-1 also allows you to connect your laptop directly to the X-1, monitor real time data and diagnose the data log for better tuning capabilities...

what more do you really want?
You are not understanding me. I'm telling the OP that a simple OBD2 plug in computer is not available for these trucks. I already know what is on the market for our trucks.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
You are not understanding me. I'm telling the OP that a simple OBD2 plug in computer is not available for these trucks.
no I do understand you but your telling the OP about something that doesn't exist for our vehicle...so why would you keep telling him that there isn't any chip/programmer when that's exactly what the X-1 is? especially if it was purposely built strictly for our motor and ECU (1GR-FE '05-'08 Tacoma, 4Runner, and FJ). that's what I'm not getting...

the X-1 is the best bang for its buck and has proven itself time and time again...

yes the OBD2 tuner units are cheaper and more convenient but it doesn't have the capabilities that the X-1 has...he may not be mechanically savy but the hardest part of the X-1 install is making sure the cam gears are setup properly (other have done the short cut route, but for me I felt more at ease just doing it the long way since there's less chance of screwing up the install)...
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
no I do understand you but your telling the OP about something that doesn't exist for our vehicle...so why would you keep telling him that there isn't any chip/programmer when that's exactly what the X-1 is? especially if it was purposely built strictly for our motor and ECU (1GR-FE '05-'08 Tacoma, 4Runner, and FJ). that's what I'm not getting...

the X-1 is the best bang for its buck and has proven itself time and time again...

yes the OBD2 tuner units are cheaper and more convenient but it doesn't have the capabilities that the X-1 has...he may not be mechanically savy but the hardest part of the X-1 install is making sure the cam gears are setup properly (other have done the short cut route, but for me I felt more at ease just doing it the long way since there's less chance of screwing up the install)...
You said it yourself that the X1 is a piggyback. There is a major difference between just a programmer and a piggyback computer. A programmer downloads a tune into the stock computer and saves the stock tune. A piggyback work with the stock computer by modifying the signals going in and out of the stock computer. So even if you can plug in a programmer to said piggyback it is still a piggyback. A piggyback and a programmer work differently that is why they have different names as well.

I'm saying there is no programmer that will plug into the OBD port and go into the stock computer and change the factory tune. There is no tuned chip that will replace the stock chip. There are piggyback systems that will modify sensor signals in a way that more performance is achieved.

I said the X1 was a full replacement because I though it was but it is a piggyback as you have said yourself. Understand what I'm saying?

Programmer:

Chip:

Piggyback:

Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #19

I know the difference between Stand Alone EMS, Chips, and Piggybacks...but know this once you flash the OEM ECU you cannot flash it back to stock settings...not even Toyota can do that...you would have to fork out $$$$ in the thousands for a new OEM ECU...

at least with the X-1 you can flash it as many times as you want...and when you decide to sell the truck and part it out you can pull the x-1 without worrying about the OEM ECU cause the settings are still in stock...

I really don't understand why you are so adamant about have a OBD2 Programmer when there isn't 1 available and no other company including Superchips and Jet Performance are willing to make 1 for our platform...another thing to keep in mind is that every time you add a new performance part in the past you had to send the Superchip and/or Jet performance PROGRAMMER and/or CHIP back to them so that they can alter the tune...I believe now days you can just email them your current tune and they will alter it for your specifications and email you the new file, upload it to the PROGRAMMER/CHIP and flash the ECU...

With CHIPS a lot of times you need to either solder the connections to the OEM ECU or splice wiring...if your not familiar with electronics let alone computers you can very well fry the entire wiring harness, ECU, and CHIP by making the wrong connections...

needless to say this is a waste of time talking about products that do not exist for our platform...if you know everything about Tuning and Programmers why have you not convinced companies like JET and Superchips to make you a OBD2 PROGRAMMER? or better yet why have you not taken the step forward and made your own stand alone EMS?

personally I would rather have a piggyback unit "aka X-1" that not only allows me to tune my vehicle to my own specifications but also gives me real time data and constantly monitors the entire system...none of those OBD2 Programmers and Chips have a built in EG (Engine Guaradian) to protect your engine and performance parts...

if you look at the link I provided below it shows the difference between X-1, SplitSecond, Unichip, and MAP-ECU2 (<-click for link) you can clearly see that the X-1 can do just as much as a stand alone EMS...what more do you want???
Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
Banned
You sound like a salesman that has absolutly no idea what he is talking about. I never once said I wanted an OBD plug in device. I said there is no such device for a Toyota. The ones available for other vehicles do in fact save the stock tune in the hand held programmer. But who really care since there isn't one for a Toyota. You are just putting words in my mouth. I suggest you read up on how all the systems work.

Just in case you didn't see; There is no chip or programmer available for Tacomas just piggy back computers. I never suggested the idea I wanted an OBD programmer.

^^^^Let me know if you need it again. I can fax you that, pm you with it, facebook it, myspace it, email it, mail it and sky write it about your house if you would like.