1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone figured out how to get..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BogHootTaco, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Jul 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    BogHootTaco

BogHootTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Long Bed
    a Hilux into the states?

2. Jul 10, 2008 at 7:50 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It has to go thru EPA regs, then it has to confor to crash standards. Not sure how that goes. I have heard around $15,000 to 20,000 bucks. :eek: I was looking into bringing one in, but, just got my '07 here instead. Im looking into haveing the drivetrain shipped over here from a wrecked Hilux. If its viable, I may do the "Hilux" mod. :D

3. Jul 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    BogHootTaco

BogHootTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Long Bed
    I'd really like to get the engine out of one. do you know if it would match up w/ the taco body?

4. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Not sure but I've drove one into the ground, literally...
    [​IMG]

Sweet truck, but not sure deisel is a deal unless you are aiming for vegetable oil conversion kit an all.

5. Jul 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    In the old days 20-25 years ago you had to post a bond equal to the value of the vehicle, then you had 180 days to bring it into compliance; EPA, DOT, FHTSA, flammability of upholstery materials, DOT stamped glass, lighting system DOT approved, and also for right hand rule of road headlamps with RH dip; LH drive. Right hand drive can be waived as long as headlamps have RH dip, DOT restraint systems. After 180 days, bond is forfeited, vehicle taken and destroyed or exported. All this stuff is pretty much obsolete now as most glass and restraints and the flammability stuff is there unless you want a grey market Ugo. Even manufacturers show cars are under similar rules. What I wonder why someone hasn't tried to just buy a South American market truck, get it dirty, put your US plates on it and just casually drive it back over the border; of course you just use it as an off road toy. How carefully does the border cross points monitor type of car/truck?, I think if they can scan retina's trucks are no problem. I have heard of Canadian versions of motorcycles not sold in the US have been driven over unnoticed, and folks were driving US spec, US priced Kubota Tractors over the Canadian line, and somehow forgetting to go back and fetch them. Canada did stop that. How about 20 south of the border friends arrive in two new trucks, and go back in one new truck and one used 1995 Buick, think anyone will notice?

There was a Malaysian (IIRC) version (it was RHD) of the Chevy Colorado/Isuzu in town about 3 years ago , The man who got to test it was a customer of mine; he works for a engineering co that does emission technology, mostly intercity CNG buses, but they have several clients they do work for, and one wanted the truck sent over to the US and driven for as long as could get by to get all kind of fuel usage data, and they wanted more on road use than test track use. They kept getting hassled due to no license plates; tried to get GM to supply a manufacturers plate and got a no, tried to get County to issue some kind of temp tag and got a no, due to the VIN, finally got some strings pulled and got a plate, and of course it would not fit the non US step bumper since it had a long Euro style plate. The other story I heard shows how even in lean times big co's waste tons of money; the truck was from what my customer gathered, paid for by his client but shipping was supposed to be supplied by GM/ or the client, remember everything is hush hush, but kept getting delayed for some dumb reasons, but some one decided enough is enough and chartered a cargo plane to fly it the the US, my customer was told it cost about $54,000.00 to basically overnight the truck; he still says he does not know whether to believe that or not. IIRC, it was a 3.? litre intercooled turbo diesel with manual trans, and the fit and finish from what I could see of it was far far better than a US built Colorado. After the baseline test were completed for the unnamed client, the truck was to be scrapped/destroyed.

6. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:10 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    It will fit the "body", just have to relocate the moor mounts, and the tranny mounts. Also need to use the tranny from the Hilux, as the tranny behind the 1GR wont bolt up to the diesel.

7. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    They check the V.I.N.

8. Jul 11, 2008 at 12:20 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Been years since I went to the Baja Peninsula, but at that time they just looked through the vehicle and baggage, and occasionally picked a vehicle or 2 or 3 every now and then to do a more thorough search.

9. Jul 11, 2008 at 4:51 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Its never happened to me. Im just going by what a friend told me when he brought his truck back from Mexico. :eek:

10. Jul 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    Like I said it been a while, and 911 and the even more escalated battle with the drug war i'm sure have made longer waits and more thorough checks.

Products Discussed in

To Top