Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

carrier bearing

Old 09-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
kubota man is on a distinguished road
kubota man's Tacoma Gallery
carrier bearing

how much movement is normal for the drive shaft in the carrier bearing. iwas greasing my ujoints and grsded the shaft to check it and the best i can tell its between 1 eight to 1 quarter of a inch. this may be normal
Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
clintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clinton
clintonjeffries's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubota man View Post
how much movement is normal for the drive shaft in the carrier bearing. iwas greasing my ujoints and grsded the shaft to check it and the best i can tell its between 1 eight to 1 quarter of a inch. this may be normal
movement in the carrier bearing??? like if you grab your rear driveline and push on it, it wiggles within the carrier bearing?

I don't think any amount of play is normal...
Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Flexing of the rubber inside the mount is normal. Replace it if the rubber is rotted or mushy, or the bearing is noisy.
The mount absorbs driveline vibrations instead of transmitting them through the frame.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Flexing of the rubber inside the mount is normal. Replace it if the rubber is rotted or mushy, or the bearing is noisy.
The mount absorbs driveline vibrations instead of transmitting them through the frame.
X2

To the Op, since you have an 08.....I wouldn't worry about it. If you're still under warrantee, take it to the dealer and voice your concerns. They'll probably tell you its normal (and it is) but atleast you'll have it documented in case something happens and it gets worse.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
X2

To the Op, since you have an 08.....I wouldn't worry about it. If you're still under warrantee, take it to the dealer and voice your concerns. They'll probably tell you its normal (and it is) but atleast you'll have it documented in case something happens and it gets worse.
this
Old 09-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
I can feel the play of the carrier bearing in my 2011 when starting from a full stop and accelerating normaly. It's a slight vibration that does not last more than 1/2 to 1 second. And i've read it's "normal".
Old 09-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
kubota man is on a distinguished road
kubota man's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guy just worred about it
Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
Have you added the spacers to your carrier bearing yet? I did and you could really tell a difference. taking off and while shifting is much smoother with less vibration. something you should look into. Some use a shim i used 3 washers on each side. came out to be the same measurement.