1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end squeak - ideas to fix?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Caduceus, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sep 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Hi
    I've been having a front end squeaking probably the last 2 months. I've been throwing lithium grease all over the front end, but have it isolated to the front passenger side wheel area. I know it's outside b/c I can hear it when we shut the doors, or rock the truck a little.

Today I found that it's not the suspension or UCA. I can reliably reproduce the sound by pounding against the front passenger tire, so I'm guessing it's a tire/wheel problem.

Any ideas, or better yet, solutions, of what could be causing the noise?

Thanks!

Edit: Figured it out! One of the bolts securing the radiator to the front cross beam had come out. The truck vibrations were rattling the radiator. $2.30 later at the stealership and all is good.

2. Sep 13, 2010 at 4:42 AM
    Caduceus

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Stumped you all! Damn!

3. Sep 13, 2010 at 4:55 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Usually a little hard to diagnose squeaks without the vehicle being present.

What engine do you have? Is the vehicle lifted? How many miles are on the truck? I see you run with the 4x4.

Is it just a squeak or are their other noises present?
    Does it make the noise while the vehicle is in motion/being driven? (Does it happen constantly? Does it sound like a rotational squeak, or a bump squeak or a turning/steering squeak)

If doable, maybe take a little video of the noise reproduction and post it.

4. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    And check torques on all the bolts from the top of the spindle down. Just a little bit off torque and you can get weird noises.

5. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Explain this a little further.....

6. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    redrx8

redrx8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I also have a bad squeak that baffled me for a long time. I finally figured out that it was the front bumper. You can try to see if it's your bumper by just moving it up and down.

7. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    Caduceus

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    OK, more answers... 2009, about a 2" lift up front (Leeper c/o's), 15K miles. 6-cyl engine. 95% street driving.

I have the Avid light bar. When I use it hold onto and shake the truck, there's no noise. And the truck rocks pretty good. I've also moved the plastic that covers the wheel-well and no noise from it.

When I drive, I can usually come off the driveway (it's a decent size bump) w/o any noise. The chatter seems most when speed bumps or potholes. ALWAYS isolated front/pass side. When the front passenger door is slammed it'll squeak too. However, while the squeak is present usually every day, it's not constant. I read over the "squeak" thread that someone made, and it's definetly not the front dash.

Using lithium grease, I lubed (at various times), the UCA joints, the collar of the c/o, the lower control arm joints.

As for punching the tire - I was tapping around the wheel area, rocking the UCA, shock, spring, etc, and tapped the tire decently hard. That made the squeak. hit the tire (from the outer side) in various spots and it made the noise consistently. I'm wondering if it's the CV's, or maybe loose lug nuts (I'll be tightening those after work), the wheel/tire interface, axle?

I'll try and get a video up today, but it's my wife's b-day. If I can get home tonight before dark and before dinner, I'll get something up.

Products Discussed in

To Top