1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Axle Seals

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jaxtwuk, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sep 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    Jaxtwuk

Jaxtwuk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Hi y'all. First post here. I just bought an '06 Tacoma Access Cab from my Dad's estate, and so far I really like it. EXCEPT - (1) going to have to replace the carpet as my Step Mom's dog has peed on it and it is almost making me puke (another smell to have to deal with) whenever I get in. I think I can do it myself.
    The bigger problem is the (2) rear pass. axle seal - I had to get a VA state inspection, and they pulled the drum off that side and it's a wonder the truck can stop at all - EVERYTHING inside the drum housing is COVERED with axle lube. I've pulled the split axle out and am taking it to a shop tomorrow to get the bearing / seals replaced, and will also have to replace the brake shoes on both sides too.

My question is this: from searches I've done on the net I've seen numerous references to this problem with other Tacoma's and other models that use the same axle. Have any others here had problems like this? I saw a couple posters had to have the axle replaced to solve the problem, and the garage that did the S.I. for me WON'T do the repairs on these Toyota's - they said it's a bad design and if they do the repair it's likely that they will have to do it again in a year as it will probably keep recurring.

Your thoughts please. THANKS in advance.

2. Sep 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    WOW! I haven't heard of this but then again, I've asked questions about rear brakes recently and got zero replies.

Another VA taco owner subscribing to see how this thread turns out. Welcome to the fold!

3. Sep 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    LOL I live in Roanoke, I thought almost all the VA users on here were from Richmond or VA Beach. Glad to see some ppl close by!

4. Sep 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Sweet! I work at ITT in Roanoke. Don't want to hi-jack this thread but I'm sure I'll see you around this small town.

Products Discussed in

To Top