1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got hit today

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by teeoffdang, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sep 12, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    teeoffdang

teeoffdang [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma sr5 sport
    :(:(:(:(
    Got hit today from behind. The person drove her car right under my rear left tire and pushed the left side forward. The wheel looks as it was pointing outward. I'm concerning if the axle will be bent.

Met up with the insurance guy and he told me that the spring leaf got push forward not the axle? I thought that the bottom of spring leaf is connected with the axle.:confused::confused:. He told me that the axle is not bend. It is possible?

Thanks for helping.

2. Sep 12, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
  3. Sep 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    x2

4. Sep 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Photos would help...but yeah...it's possible. The axle housing is a solid tube where the leaf springs are individual pieces bolted together and bolted onto the axle. So there are pieces that could give way and break, letting the axle make it out without major damage.

5. Sep 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Take it to a shop you trust and has good reviews. They will check it over thoroughly.... they will put it on a frame machine and everything.

IMO... Its not the insurance adjustors job to say if your axle is messed up or not right away.

Before anything is said it should be looked at by a mechanic.

You don't go to your health insurance company for a vasectomy, you go to a doctor.

6. Sep 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    If its their fault, take it to the dealer.
    Yes they are more expensive, but your not paying the bill.
    And dont let their adjuster try and talk you into anything different.

7. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:

I just finished up with an accident in my Tacoma - so here is what I learned:

1) Document everything - every time you talk to someone, every piece of paper, every thing.
    2) Go to the best shop you can find - the body shop can really screw you around if they want to, making it a horrible ordeal.
    3) Be prepared to file for depreciated value to your truck. Do a couple value comparisions online at KBB and the likes to get a solid before and after value before you call about it. Once the repairs are done you can file for the lost value. Don't expect the full amount, but I got 2/3 of the amount in a 10 minute phone call. That extra $1k check to me didn't hurt my feelings at all.
    4) Get a rental vehicle you like, because it is going to be in the shop more than a couple days.

8. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^^Very good advice!!

and number 5....

the toyota dealer doesn't always have the best body shop guys.... (ask me how i know)

9. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Yep ^^^^ Yep

10. Sep 12, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    What they said. Honestly if the car went under far enough to hit hte wheel from behind.... you probably have frame damage and it will most likely be a total loss. Don't brush it off, fight hard to ensure it's 100% the way it was.

Products Discussed in

To Top