Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Advice on permanently wiring a Whelen LED Dash Light

Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on permanently wiring a Whelen LED Dash Light

I'm going to hard wire my Whelen LED Blue Light. I'm trying to decide on how I will go about doing this.

The blue line is how I would prefer to have it run. The only problem is I don't know if it is possible to run a wire through defogger ducts and then to the switch panel where the fog light switch is etc.

The red line is a alternative. I would like to do this if I could find a grommet that would make it look clean.
I would need to know how thick the dashboard is, and the correct size grommet for SPT-1 wire.

Any input or advice for me? how would YOU do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on permanently wiring a Whelen LED Dash Light-img_4699.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure what that unit is but you can run a wire between the plastic piece of the dash and the windshied damn near out of sight. You run the wire along the bottom of the windshield and press it with your fingers so it stays in the crevice between the glass and plastic. Once you get to the driver's side, then you can go behind the dash. Otherwise, your 2 options are fine. If you run it in the duct, secure them so it doesn't make noise and drive you crazy (not sure if it actually would but a law named after Mr Murphy says it will). The grommet idea is a good idea but personally I'd avoid drilling the dash unless you're going to own the truck til it dies.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
have you though about putting the light in the grill at all? totaly out of the way

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JvIsve6FCfQ/0.jpg

found a cool vid of a taco with emergency lights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGamOa8K8p0
Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma grill lights and strobes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdR7...eature=related
Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
Barefoot,

what kind of radio/handheld is that? Brand?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at getting a wire up there too. My advice is to find the directions in the audio section on how to pull out the head unit. From there you have direct access to the air vent and are in a good position to drill a small hole in it. From there you could pull power from... anywhere.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
I was looking at getting a wire up there too. My advice is to find the directions in the audio section on how to pull out the head unit. From there you have direct access to the air vent and are in a good position to drill a small hole in it. From there you could pull power from... anywhere.
The head unit is very simple to remove so don't let that be a limiting factor by any means. You could probably get in behind the head unit and drill into the defroster duct and fish a wire up through the defroster cover by the windshield. That way no one would ever know there was something mounted there when you're done. It it was going to be a permanent install, that's what I'd do. And also make a better mounting bracket so it's not suction cupped to the windshield.