Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Garmin 60CSx Install in 05+ Tacoma

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Garmin 60CSx Install in 05+ Tacoma

OK first off, I want to give credit for this one, as I cannot take any credit. This idea was previously done by “DblD” in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/93807-ram-gps-mount.html

I really like his idea, so I stole it and took a few steps further. So, on to the write-up:

The Parts needed:
RAM Mount Garmin 60CSx Astro Cradle RAM-HOL-GA12U Model: RAM-HOL-GA12U
RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball RAM-B-238U Model: RAM-B-238U
RAM Mount 0.25 inch NPT Thread with Single 1 inch Ball Model: RAM-B-218-1U
RAM Mount Short Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U-A Model: RAM-B-201U-A
Garmin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Model: 010-10085-00
7/16 Fine Thread Bolt or threaded Rod
6 mm metric tap
6mm metric bolt or threaded rod

Steps:
First thing was to make the ballmount that interfaces with the trucks “ohh $hit” handle. This is where me and DblDs methods were a bit different. The threads that the ballmount comes with is 7/16 fine thread. I took a small threaded rod, cut it to length (about ¾” long) so that it will thread in and sit flush inside the ballmount. If you don’t have threaded rod, just cut the head off a bolt. Next, while it was still on the lathe, I drilled her right down the center and tapped it with a 6mm tap. DO NOT DRILL AND TAP ALL THE WAY THROUGH (make it a blind hole) otherwise your metric bolt will just thread into your mount and disappear before mating with the truck.
I then took my metric bolt (or threaded rod) chopped the head off and threaded it in so that it was about an inch or so sticking out:

Add some locktite and you are good to go
Now, remove the a-pillar from the truck (very easy..two bolts) so that you can route the charger cable. While it is off, Drill a hole to run the wire out so that it can reach your GPS. Then re-install the a-pillar using the new ballmount in place of the lower “ohh $hit” handle mounting bolt location:

In the picture above, you can see the charger wire going through the hole in the a-pillar.

Now, add the small arm and cradle and orient it how you like:

Next was to wire it, you can easily keep the cigarette lighter plug and just use that, however, I wanted to hardwire mine into my auxiliary fuse block. To do I routed it into my engine bay through the grommet in the fire wall. I then cut the cig lighter plug off so that it is just the wires.

NOTE THAT A 1.5A FUSE IS CONTAINED IN THE CIG LIGHTER PLUG, SO YOU MUST FUSE IT EXTERNALLY IF YOU REMOVE THE PLUG

I then routed it to the fuse block, cut it to length and added standard ring terminals:

All that is left is to plug it into the fuse block and fuse it. I used a 2A fuse (I will try to find a proper 1.5 “ fuse that will fit later, but 2A is the smallest I had laying around):

And the final product, as seen from the driver’s seat:
Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
stangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud of

stangkeip10's Tacoma Gallery
a vent mount would be a whole lot easier and look a whole lot better
Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangkeip10 View Post
a vent mount would be a whole lot easier and look a whole lot better
Cool, then do a vent mount. I prefer this, hence why I did it. When I am out in the desert, I like having all my vents clear, not to mention, I like having my GPS right there so I dont have to look down to see it. To each his own
Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
When your offroad, it only takes a second of looking down to ruin a day.

I like the setup, but for me to evaluate the setup cost is a factor. Approx what did the whole mounting setup run you?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandzach View Post
When your offroad, it only takes a second of looking down to ruin a day.

I like the setup, but for me to evaluate the setup cost is a factor. Approx what did the whole mounting setup run you?
Yeah, thats my feeling, I want it as close to line of sight as I can so I do not have to look around to find it. Total cost including the car charger and mount components was right about $40.00. (Does not include the fuse, or threaded rod, I had laying around, but that is cheap stuff as you can get a single bolt and cut off the head, or glue it like DblD did as well)
Old 09-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Thats pretty sick. I've looked into buying a RAM mount for my motorcycle for ipod or gps. If i recall they were a bit pricey so i just use my pocket, but that looks cool and I bet for the desert its perfect.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Thats pretty sick. I've looked into buying a RAM mount for my motorcycle for ipod or gps. If i recall they were a bit pricey so i just use my pocket, but that looks cool and I bet for the desert its perfect.
RAM components really arnt that bad, check out GPScity.com and you can piece together the mount you want. They are VERY strong as well. But yeah, on my bike my Ipod stays in my pocket haha, and I have no GPS as its a track bike...you can get a tank bag to hold your GPS as well
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
gordynor is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
gordynor's Tacoma Gallery
Robert,

I love your idea and your write up is awesome. Before I jump into it, can I ask a question about the power source? I've been scouring Google for ways to hardwire the 5v USB wire to the car (I have the Garmin Oregon which runs off of USB) and the best I can find is something really bulky like this (http://www.amazon.com/GA-NHWC-Garmin...1656505&sr=1-3). In your post you run it directly to the fuse panel and use a 1.5A fuse... how did you convert the 12v source to 5v though? I really don't want to zip-tie some bulky box under the dash...

Thanks! You've got an awesome rig! I love your build thread...

Daniel
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
what gps is that?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
MGH-PA will become famous soon enough

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
what gps is that?
Seriously?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Another FNG
cactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud of

cactuscorn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowrs View Post
All that is left is to plug it into the fuse block and fuse it. I used a 2A fuse (I will try to find a proper 1.5 “ fuse that will fit later, but 2A is the smallest I had laying around):

is that a aftermarket fuse block? i was bummed when i didnt see the same on my '10. i cant wait to lose all the crap ive got plugged into my dc outlets. very clean job overall man.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
Son of Baconator
unentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FCC(SW)
Name: Jacob
unentered's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to unentered Send a message via Skype™ to unentered
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
what gps is that?
Magellan Nuvi XL540TM
Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
I found another, smaller option, but it's about $50! No way...

My Oregon GPS charges via USB. So, I think if I dismantle a USB car charger (made to fit into the cigarette adapter) I can wire that up to the fuse box with a 1.5A add-a-circuit and essentially copy the model linked above. The wiring would be

Fuse box >> 1.5A add-a-circuit (with ground, of course) >> 12v to 5v regulator (from the USB car charger) >> USB >> Garmin

Does that sound right? I really don't want to fry anything but so far that seems what these products do.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
yea actually inside the charger there should be a fuse. which would make it easy to figure out which wire you need to hook to power and ground.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDKenE View Post
yea actually inside the charger there should be a fuse. which would make it easy to figure out which wire you need to hook to power and ground.
Yeah, I've already dismantled the charger and they made it simple: red was wired to the fuse, black was ground. On the USB side of the regulator there's red & yellow... I guess the red is + and yellow is ground, but I won't know until I test it I guess.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Clean install! I like it.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuscorn View Post
is that a aftermarket fuse block? i was bummed when i didnt see the same on my '10. i cant wait to lose all the crap ive got plugged into my dc outlets. very clean job overall man.
Yes that is its a BlueSea fusebox.. you can get them at a boat store like west marine.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
Another FNG
cactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud of

cactuscorn's Tacoma Gallery
thanx man.

edit: looks like hes got a large fuseable link between the battery and the new block but i have no idea what rating would be needed. am i on the right track?

also looks like he built a plate of some sort and mounted that to the wheelwell. i see how this could be done with a sheet of fabbed alluminium using the main fusebox rear support and the open/plugged port, or the 2 pre-threaded inserts on the inner fender wall (all circled).

if my plan works, ill gain line of sight with this placement compared to what i have now. note the inspection and registration stickers we must run that already fill the intended area. also, these pics were taken from eye level while seated so it should be very close to this in the real world. i gotta remove this clutter! candycorn wants her damn cupholder now blocked by the adaptor and wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Garmin 60CSx Install in 05+ Tacoma-fuse-block-mounting-points.jpg   Garmin 60CSx Install in 05+ Tacoma-img_1699.jpg   Garmin 60CSx Install in 05+ Tacoma-img_1701.jpg   Garmin 60CSx Install in 05+ Tacoma-img_1704.jpg   Garmin 60CSx Install in 05+ Tacoma-img_1703.jpg  

Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
I am really impressed with how tidy your mount is. I actually had my GPS mounted there, but found it created such a massive blindspot (My GPS is larger), more so than when mounted in the center of the windshield that I just had to move it. Still, that looks so clean I may go again.

I made this bracket base then snuck power to mine. It's off the windshield, but still in the line of sight.

RZ Rob

Products Discussed in this Thread