1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To roof rack or not roof rack, that is the question...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mxpatriot, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Sep 14, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I've always thought off road roof racks looked pretty cool and provided the best platform to mount lights on, so I've always wanted one. Now that I'm actually getting close to buying one, I'm having second thoughts. The set up I wanted was a defender brand roof rack with 4x Hella 4000's on it - I would take the two Hella 4000 Euro beams from light bar and add 2 pencil beams up there, and replace my light bar lights with amber lense dust/fog lights. In addition, I would want back up, dust lights, and side lights (small square lights) around the perimeter. I would also mount my CB, radio (since I removed the original mount when I put the fiberglass fenders on), and eventually a 2 meter radio antenna on it. All in all the rack, lights, and antenna mounts would end up being about $1,000.

The way I'm looking at it now:

PRO's: 1. Drastic increase in offroad lighting.
    2. Great place to mount antennas.
    3. Would be useful for storage when camping, as I generally fill the truck bed to the brim.
    4. Helpful for hauling long objects.
    5. Looks bad ass.

CON's: 1. Won't fit in any normal garage anymore. I'm moving to Missouri in December so this becomes more of an issue being in a state that will get snow.
    2. Gas mileage is going to go to way down. Reading online, I should expect a 15-20% decrease in MPG. For something that would be used such a small percentage of drive time (basically only using it when camping or offroading at night), that's a lot of money to give up on gas.

Thoughts....????

2. Sep 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Eh give me a second to fix the formatting...stupid phone.

3. Sep 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    I really thought about adding the roof rack..then I started seeing posts about some wind noise, a little wind noise, alot of wind noise...and I just decided I did not want to deal with the wind noise issue. I read if you fold the cross slats back its not so bad...to be honest, I like quiet, hence I even run Michelin MS'2's a very quiet tire. But hey if you like a roof rack go for it. JMHO. I think they look great. You bring up some very valid cons...I don't want to sacrafice any more gas mileage if possible. I have my truck exactly how I want it now. Good luck with your decision!

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top