LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

More Power, Better MPG

Old 09-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Philms is on a distinguished road
Philms's Tacoma Gallery
More Power, Better MPG

Hello and glad to be a newbie. Just got my 2008 Sport put 285's and a 3" lift on. My question is how to get more power and better mpg. I have read much about the AFE filter and some exhaust mod's. The filter is cheap and is a no brainer but exhausts? Are there any that make sense and don't cost and arm?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Pro DRY S will help your mileage a little. The best choice is regear,probably 4.11
Old 09-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Better MPG by watching your driving habits. More power from a blower.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Philms's Tacoma Gallery
And had to post my first pics :')

Old 09-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
There's no way to improve power (noticeably) and at the same time get (noticeably) better mileage. It's one or the other
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Philms's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, need to figure out the pics.

I think regearing will be more than I want to put towards the power. Is there anything else like the filter that will make a difference?

What is a "Blower"
Old 09-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philms View Post
Hmm, need to figure out the pics.

I think regearing will be more than I want to put towards the power. Is there anything else like the filter that will make a difference?

What is a "Blower"
Filters won't make much of a difference if any. A blower is a supercharger.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
bearing01 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
bearing01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philms View Post

What is a "Blower"
A blower is a supercharger. A big unit that sits on top of the engine and has a pulley & belt that runs off the crankshaft pulley. The blower pushes air into the engine, under pressure, rather than just have atmospheric pressure push air into the engine - when the engine tries to suck or breath it in. Because you're force feeding the engine more air you can simultaneously add more fuel to match, without suffering misfire. Burning more fuel makes more pressure in the engine for more power.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Philms's Tacoma Gallery
Great thank you. So not much to do really if I don't want to spend the money. I looked into super charger and was more $ than I wanted. The filter seamed like a possible help at $68 and lots of people raving about them. But you don't think it will do much eh?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Banned
For $68 you might see 1hp gain and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile a gallon.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
rIDIN wHEELIEz!!
LuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cole
LuckeyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
There's no way to improve power (noticeably) and at the same time get (noticeably) better mileage. It's one or the other
Too bad its not a diesel.... power means mpg with a diesel!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
My mileage went up from 17 to 19 after I got the supercharger.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckeyTRD View Post
Too bad its not a diesel.... power means mpg with a diesel!
Not really. If you are making more power it's because you are burning more fuel. You can't just up the boost and not add fuel.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
rIDIN wHEELIEz!!
LuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cole
LuckeyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Not really. If you are making more power it's because you are burning more fuel. You can't just up the boost and not add fuel.
Ok so your telling me when i tuned my 03 7.3 liter powerstroke and was able to add close to 92 hp just off a tune.... and was able to get 3.9mg better than i was.... and then when i added the water methanol injection kit it added another 60hp and boosted my fuel eco another 3.... that im a liar? lol and that was back when i ran the stock turbo!

oh and i added a k&n to begin with... which isnt that big of a deal on that specific truck.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckeyTRD View Post
Ok so your telling me when i tuned my 03 7.3 liter powerstroke and was able to add close to 92 hp just off a tune.... and was able to get 3.9mg better than i was.... and then when i added the water methanol injection kit it added another 60hp and boosted my fuel eco another 3.... that im a liar? lol and that was back when i ran the stock turbo!

oh and i added a k&n to begin with... which isnt that big of a deal on that specific truck.
It works to a point then past that point MPG will start falling. A 1000hp drag diesel isn't getting 100mpg. The reason it works to this point is because they are tuned for cleanest emissions, maximum life and quiet injection(we all know how quiet they are lol). So when you run them dirtier you can end up with better MPG. When you inject methonal you use less diesel because you are burning methonal. A diesel with a veggie stroke kit will burn less diesel because it is running off of the veg oil or whatever is in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
you can just burn fuel more effectively on a diesel (which is always "WOT") and get more MPG and more power at same time. Example: adding a turbo to a non-turbo diesel engine, whitout adding significantly more fuel.
See above.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

you can just burn fuel more effectively on a diesel (which is always "WOT") and get more MPG and more power at same time. Example: adding a turbo to a non-turbo diesel engine, whitout adding significantly more fuel.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
Textbook Fucking Mental
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The compression inside the cylinder of a diesel is SO much higher than that of a gasoline engine. The air is compressed so much that it gets wildly hot and anything injected into it instantly ignites. Its why you can use so many different things as fuel for a diesel. Its why a diesel does not need spark plugs, a la the gasoline engine.

Remember, the 4 stroke cycle. Intake, Compression, Combustion (POWER), Exhast.

As for the OP.

Better Power and MPG.

If you don't want to lose the tires (and lift), you'll have to re-gear to even those things out. All that weight is performace robbing.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
The compression inside the cylinder of a diesel is SO much higher than that of a gasoline engine. The air is compressed so much that it gets wildly hot and anything injected into it instantly ignites. Its why you can use so many different things as fuel for a diesel. Its why a diesel does not need spark plugs, a la the gasoline engine.

Remember, the 4 stroke cycle. Intake, Compression, Combustion (POWER), Exhast.

When the fuel ignites, it drives the piston down, known as the combustion or power stroke.
I know how a diesel works thank you.

Products Discussed in this Thread