Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

throw-out bearing failure

Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Taco R/C is on a distinguished road
Taco R/C's Tacoma Gallery
throw-out bearing failure

Well, toyota just declined to replace my throw-out bearing under any type off warranty. the truck is out of warranty by 2000 miles. But it seems weird to me for a throw out bearing to fail at 38k miles. Sucks but it looks like imma be pullin the tranny on a 2008 4x4 tacoma. Any tips??
Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
RU55ELL is on a distinguished road
Name: Russell
RU55ELL's Tacoma Gallery
*sigh*
Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you're gonna go to the trouble of doing it yourself, buy the pdm kit first so you have it on hand.

Mine goes in thursday for the first repair attempt on my throw out bearing. Mine is 4 years, 10 months old, 50K miles. The regional rep from toyota approved a clutch replacement on toyota's dime.

I have my doubts whether this is going to fix the problem since they are not changing the bell housing. I did suggest that they consider that given the widespread issues with the six speed transmission. But, it's not costing me anything other than an hour or so to drop off and pick up my truck. So I will let them try it. If it were my own time and money, there is no way I would drop the trans before purchasing the repair kit from pdm.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
yea im still gonna try to connact a toyota rep. about my truck. the dealer told me today that toyota offered to pay half of the bill which was gonna be $820. that seems steep for only the bearing and input shaft. They were also not gonna replace the clutch while they had the trans out. which is stupid in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco R/C View Post
it seems weird to me for a throw out bearing to fail at 38k miles.
Not really. I've seem premature throw out bearing failure many times. It's caused by sitting at a stop with the clutch pressed in for long periods of time. Even resting your foot on the clutch pedal with just the slightest amount of pressure can cause additional wear on it.

Many people have the habit of doing this because they want to be ready to go or the driver is not very experienced at driving stick so they're afraid to stall under pressure when the light turns green.

Not saying that's what you were doing. I used to tell people that if you don't need to use the clutch, don't put your foot on it until you actually need it. Forget about the other drivers on the road, let em wait for you to get the car rolling, it's your car, your money.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
yea that is hard on a bearing but thats not the case for mine. The only reason for mine going out is that i tow a boat almost every weekend. The boat is only 2400lbs loaded but i guess that doesnt help the matter.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
hey op, you have read the thread titled "throw out bearing again" right? It's been very popular for a long time. If not, go read it. It is not unusual to have issues with this particular transmission.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
That Sucks