1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sloppy steering question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PA452, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Has anyone else encountered kind of a sloppy or squirrelly feeling in the steering?

I'm not just talking about the loose feeling on dirt roads. Mine has always felt terrible on any semi rough service. But for the past 5-10 thousand miles, my steering hasn't felt normal even on pavement.

About three weeks ago it started to feel really bad. Not just sloppy, but kind of pulling to the right some and in general just didn't feel right. I took it in and got an alignment. The squirrelly feeling wasn't quite as bad after, but it is still pulling to the right.

I'm at about 55k miles. Has anyone else had any of these issues? If so, were you able to find a solution?

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Seized caliper ?

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    PA452

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Don't know, but I was actually just reading about that a little while ago. I kind of doubt that's the problem, but, how do I go about checking that?

4. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Just jack it up and see if the wheel spins freely.

5. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Mine follows the ruts in the road. Drive close to the centerline and it pulls left...drive close the the shoulder and it pulls right. Freshly paved roads it tracks straight. Takeing the tire pressure up a bit seemed to help.

6. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    PA452

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Actually early in the summer or late spring I had to let the pressure down a bit. That seemed to help somewhat. But that was because I never relieved some air after winter time.

7. Sep 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    my money is on a wheel bearing or a ball joint or maybe a tire rod end or a bad belt in your tire and your alignment shop should be able to find any of this. i would start with rotating my tires while i was in the process jack the front end up and try to wobble the tire in all directions any more then a little is bad.

8. Sep 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Toyotas are known for bad intermediate steering shafts. To test, sitting still, with engine running, quickly turn the wheel left and right quickly, about an eighth of a turn both directions. If the wheel turns more than the tires, the shaft is bad. They cost arount$ 150.
    The other cause, from low cost to high, alignment, tie rod, wheel bearing, bad tires.
    Jack up the front end and pull on the tires in all directions and have a friend look for slop in the steering. You can feel bad bearings by yourself, there will be movement in the wheel before the steering moves.
    Let me know what you find.

9. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road
  10. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    PA452

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, unfortunately I'll well out of warranty. I did considering buying that part and putting it in myself though. Still, after seeing the pictures of it, being that it looks almost exactly the same as the old one, it seems hard to believe that that could be the root of even just half the problem. But then again, I do see a lot of testimonies, such as yours, saying that it made a big difference.

11. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    From what it sounds like, it's not the steering shaft TSB anyway.... I'd check most what people said above...
    - Tire wear
    - Tire pressure
    - Jack the front up (use chocks on back), then try to move each tire left right with your hands, if it moves easily you have something loose, need to investigate and repair immediatly.
    - Could be worn bushings. The above may or may not reflect it... remember you can't put enough force to mimic normal driving even with your hands
    - Power steering pump could be going out causing erratic pressure (thus easy/harder steering and causing it to pulse left/right)
    - Suspension could be worn/going out. Check your shocks for oil leaking, push down on the truck to see if it's getting loose on a side or both, ect.

I'd start with that....

12. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    PA452

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    How would I check the power steering pump? I do occasionally get a sort of pulsing feeling. A fault in the power steering system has crossed my mind before.

13. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Take the plastic cover off that covers the intermediate shaft and wiggle it around. If it has a lot of play in it that maybe your problem. My had a lot of slop in it and if I wiggled it pretty hard as if I was going down a rough road I could get it to make the same clunk that I have been feeling.

14. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Eh that's a good one. The only way I can think of off hand would be to disconnect the pump and go 'old skool' for a test without the belt on a short drive (not sure if it's on the serph belt on this truck or not... so I'd look into that first. If it is, you wouldn't have an alternator going so you'd need to be conscious of the fact you're running pure battery). There may be a better way, just I don't know of it.

Of course, before even that it wouldn't hurt to inspect the oil level and look around for leaks. Also you might want to get your hand on it and try to violently shake it back and forth and see if it moves. If it does, those bushings on the rack could be shot.

15. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    PA452

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I actually tried the zip tie thing that was suggested here. It did seem to make a slight difference at the time. I don't think I get a "clunk" like many describe here, but on even slightly rough surface roads the steering feels bad, almost like the wheels are running wild on bad bumps and holes.

16. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Does the steering vibrate really bad?

17. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    PA452

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Not really. On rough surfaces, it feels very loose. But other than the "clunk", my experiences on rough surfaces pretty much mirror others. And I know at least a few others have said they don't really notice a "clunk" either.

I don't get a vibration on pavement typically. I have once or twice in the past. It was typically fixed with a wheel balancing.

I do sometimes get kind of a "pulse" feeling in the steering wheel. That's the best word I can use to describe it I think. I can feel it in the wheel, but it's not so bad that it moves the wheel.

18. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road

On rough roads mine steering wheel would vibrate or rattle really bad and if I hit a big hole it would make a loud clunk. I had the problem since day one since I live down a gravel road. I thought something was loose or broken. It drove me nuts but toyota said everything was fine until I found out about the TSB.

19. Sep 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Oh, well after that description it sounds exactly like the TSB....

20. Sep 16, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    PA452

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Well, I just about guarantee that intermediate shaft is a small portion of my problem, yes. But there is something else in play. That intermediate shaft isn't causing the truck to want to pull to the right.

There are other minor symptoms that I notice, but I really have a hard time describing them.

But anyway, this weekend I'll try to check over everything. I am due to rotate my tires anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top