1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trans temp gauge sender location

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CtTaco, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Ok, guys, I've been doing a bunch of searching on here and I'm still not sure which hose on the transmission cooler to tap into for the sending unit on my truck 2010 5 speed auto with tow package. I tried feeling the temps on the hoses, but cant really be sure which one is hotter. Hoping someone on here can tell me which is the inlet hose to hook up to...
    TIA

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    staymates788

staymates788 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SEAN
    Anaheim, CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed w/ TRD Sport
    Figured I'd post on an old thread rather than open a new one... And bummer no one seemed to answer this guy's question.

I've seen a write up and see that he put the sender in the hardline as it exits the transmission.

I was wondering if anyone has done, or heard of, doing the same hardline tap but up toward the front of the truck. I noticed the lines go right above the skid plate and kinda think it'd be easier to install there because the line has a long straight stretch and it's easy to reach (after removing the skid plate).

Any thoughts? Would this be too far away from the transmission to get an accurate reading? I can't imagine the fluid would lose that much heat to make this location a bad one.

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    its too far to get an accurate reading.

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
  5. Sep 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    UG won't read trans temp on the Tacoma.
    The Scanguage will in it's latest software revision.

To the OP and the followup....

This is one of those things that is constantly debated.
    On the Duramax forum I used to hang on, it was most common to mount the gauge on the return line to the trans.
    The feeling was that it was a more homogenous reading. The trans exit temp will fluctuate wildly during heavy loads and will cause false alarms. The return temp is a more stable reading. It's not unlike instant MPG vs Avg MPG... the instant reading is really pretty useless.

Same with the trans temp. High temps are the enemy of an auto trans, but brief periods of elevated temps are not a problem. The exit temp might show a temp spike every time the trans shifts, because of the clutch slippage that is always present... but the pan temp (comparable to the cooler exit temp) is a more stable indication of the trans health.
    Overheating of the trans to a point that will burn fluid will show as elevated pan (cooler exit) temps.

6. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    staymates788

Member:
    First Name:
    SEAN
    Anaheim, CA USA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Rich91710!
    I really like that idea of thinking and comparison (Inst Mpg Vs. Avg Mpg). Makes me really not worry too much about where I put it.
    My thinking is as long as I got a good baseline for normal driving, I'll know when I'm towing if it is slightly above normal or waaayy above and then cause for concern.
    I plan on getting it all put in some time in the next few weeks.

7. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    And to allieve worry a bit more, the 5spd 4x4 does have a trans overtemp "idiot light" on the tach face.

8. Sep 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    staymates788

Member:
    First Name:
    SEAN
    Anaheim, CA USA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I am aware of that... BUT, I do want to have something that's more realtime and can monitor.

Does anyone know what temperature the idiot light comes on at?

9. Sep 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I just got a trans temp gauge and haven't hooked it up yet. I'm waiting until I have to do the fluids change since its all covered by my skids right now.

10. Sep 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    I ended up connecting the sender to the hose on the drivers side of the trans cooler (right side when facing the front of the I've seen an anything from 130-180 under city driving depending on ambient temps with higher temps seen when the ambient temps were around 95-100 degrees out. Not sure if I tapped the input to the cooler or the output, but the temps seem fairly stable without wild fluctuations ( I do notice a significant drop in temps one I move from a stop and go type situation to a 35-40 mph constant speed situation of at least 20 degrees) I'm guessing I connected to the output but really can't be sure. truck) has anyone installed a trans cooler wih a fan to help with stop and go traffic situations?ive sen the temps go over 200 on a hot day in a stop and go situation.

Products Discussed in

To Top