Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed rails attachments.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #21
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
EricGagne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagro View Post
That would make it a little easier, but I think it would stand out like a sore thumb. The Unistrut is quite large.
They make channels in many sizes and some are smaller than ours.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #22
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
They make channels in many sizes and some are smaller than ours.

I used 7/8" deep strut, very close to the depth of the stock depth.

Did modify a couple nuts to fit but not worth the work to me.

Unistrut makes 3 sizes of nuts one looks like it would fit the stock track, but most fastner places don't carry that one so I just replaced the track with strut.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #23
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Found the thread with my strut installed.
Scroll down a bit and
i have some pics

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...el-system.html
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #25
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I went to the Unistrut didstributor here in Montreal this morning and I haven't had much success but I don't think he had all sizes in stock.

He pulled a 13/16 out to try it in my rail and it wasn't even long enoug to rest agains the rail, I was able to pull it right through the gap so there's no way we can use them. Another problem is that both ends of the nut were cut at 45 degree angle.

I'm pretty sure some 1-1/4" could fit but they would probably require grinding since our rail is about 1". Unfortunately I couldn't get one to try it.

The last size is 1-5/8" which is obviously too big.

I'm gonna contact the TE-CO distributor later and see if I can stop by and try a couple of T-Bolts and T-Slot nuts.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #27
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Two other brands of strut that have similiar nuts to unistrut are superstrut and kindorf. I used all of their stuff extensively for electrical work.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #28
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought like a 6-8 ft piece of flat stock aluminum at lowes. then i just cut it to length and slide it in the rails and bolt to that as needed. Plenty strong enough and if you have a dremel or a drill, its easy to make and cut to length. I think i spent 10 bucks on it altogether.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #29

Thanks Cinch, I'll check their websites later today.

I'm sure many of you know Fastenal but I had never heard of them until the name came out on a google search this morning. They sell all of this stuff, they have stores all over North-America and they also sell online.

I'm just coming back from the nearest one and I got their 3" thick 2009 catalog. They didn't have the T-Slot nuts or the T-Bolts in sotck but they can have it in 2 days, I just have to get back to them tomorrow with the part numbers that I need.

I added "Square nuts" in the first post. Fastenal sells a 1" one that should do the job perfectly.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0189531&ucst=t
Old 09-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #30
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
I looked up both superstrut and kindorf. Apparently they are both manufactured by Thomas and Betts and show the same catalog on their websites. Below is the first page of a few showing the stuff we are looking for.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/endeca/index.c...4294952561&Ntt=

Take a look at this also. for the attaching point.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=E13012EG

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=M11714B
Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #32
akdisney is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Alan
akdisney's Tacoma Gallery
Only thing I just found out is that the T-nut for 1/4"-20 are too small for the track rail.

I have buy some t-nut That made by dman597, out of aluminum.

Unistrut for the 1/4-20 some time do not sit flat in the Track.

I'm going see it cone shape Unistrut nut will sit flat in the track.

Stainless is a necessity on this west coast too also with salt air

Part number ZCM-100-1/4
Steel cone nut All 1- 5/8 channl
1 bag 5 Nuts Superstrut thomas& betts
Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #33

I ordered 5 different T-Slot nuts, T-Bolts and Square nuts from Fastenal yesterday. I'm supposed to get them tomorrow and I'll be able to post pictures and part numbers.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #34
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I ordered 5 different T-Slot nuts, T-Bolts and Square nuts from Fastenal yesterday. I'm supposed to get them tomorrow and I'll be able to post pictures and part numbers.
heck yea, can't wait. i have a fastenal in town.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-TRAIN View Post
heck yea, can't wait. i have a fastenal in town.
These are the ones I ordered. There was a few more sizes that I wanted to try but they aren't stock so I'll see with that first.

This is my favorite and I really hopes it works out. Nothing like a nice big 1" nut to impress your friends.

A Te-Co 7/8" T-Slot Nut. I'm not quite sure anymore that the T-Slot nut is a good option because the "lips" inside the rail is rounded, not square, and the T-Slot nut could just squeeze it and come through the rail if it's used to bolt something that requires a medium or high torque
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...-130481&ucst=t

Same as above but Jergens
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0349555&ucst=t

A big T-Bolt. The 15/16" wrench size should fit pretty tight in the rail.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=20305&ucst=t

Just a big 7/8" nut
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=37990&ucst=t
Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #36
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
I just drilled and tapped a piece of 2"x1"x3/8" steel to mount my bed bar.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
These are the ones I ordered. There was a few more sizes that I wanted to try but they aren't stock so I'll see with that first.

This is my favorite and I really hopes it works out. Nothing like a nice big 1" nut to impress your friends.

A Te-Co 7/8" T-Slot Nut. I'm not quite sure anymore that the T-Slot nut is a good option because the "lips" inside the rail is rounded, not square, and the T-Slot nut could just squeeze it and come through the rail if it's used to bolt something that requires a medium or high torque
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...-130481&ucst=t

Same as above but Jergens
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0349555&ucst=t

A big T-Bolt. The 15/16" wrench size should fit pretty tight in the rail.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=20305&ucst=t

Just a big 7/8" nut
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=37990&ucst=t
lol, i hope that 1" nut works. it will be perfect for what i need. i am going
to rig up a way to hang my high-lift jack from my bed rail. i want it to be
below my tool box. that would allow me to put the box close to the back of the bed. i have looked at all the threads about mounting them, most have a bolt sticking out of the rail.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #38

I received my nuts & bolts today, I will try them and post pictures tonight but I already know that the 1" bolt and 7/8" nut won't slide in because they're thick and bolts that hold the rail in place will block them.

This is the type of bolts that hold the rail.

I'm wondering if we could replace them with flat head bolts instead. would these be strong enough ?

Edit: Ooooops.........I didn't realize that there's no hole on the head for a screwdriver

Products Discussed in this Thread