1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed rails attachments.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EricGagne, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sep 20, 2010 at 4:37 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    They make channels in many sizes and some are smaller than ours.

2. Sep 20, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,

I used 7/8" deep strut, very close to the depth of the stock depth.

Did modify a couple nuts to fit but not worth the work to me.

Unistrut makes 3 sizes of nuts one looks like it would fit the stock track, but most fastner places don't carry that one so I just replaced the track with strut.

3. Sep 20, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
  4. Sep 20, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
  5. Sep 20, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    I went to the Unistrut didstributor here in Montreal this morning and I haven't had much success but I don't think he had all sizes in stock.

He pulled a 13/16 out to try it in my rail and it wasn't even long enoug to rest agains the rail, I was able to pull it right through the gap so there's no way we can use them. Another problem is that both ends of the nut were cut at 45 degree angle.

I'm pretty sure some 1-1/4" could fit but they would probably require grinding since our rail is about 1". Unfortunately I couldn't get one to try it.

The last size is 1-5/8" which is obviously too big.

I'm gonna contact the TE-CO distributor later and see if I can stop by and try a couple of T-Bolts and T-Slot nuts.

6. Sep 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Great Post OP!

7. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    Two other brands of strut that have similiar nuts to unistrut are superstrut and kindorf. I used all of their stuff extensively for electrical work.

8. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    I just bought like a 6-8 ft piece of flat stock aluminum at lowes. then i just cut it to length and slide it in the rails and bolt to that as needed. Plenty strong enough and if you have a dremel or a drill, its easy to make and cut to length. I think i spent 10 bucks on it altogether.

Yankeetaco likes this.
  9. Sep 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Thanks Cinch, I'll check their websites later today.

I'm sure many of you know Fastenal but I had never heard of them until the name came out on a google search this morning. They sell all of this stuff, they have stores all over North-America and they also sell online.

I'm just coming back from the nearest one and I got their 3" thick 2009 catalog. They didn't have the T-Slot nuts or the T-Bolts in sotck but they can have it in 2 days, I just have to get back to them tomorrow with the part numbers that I need.

I added "Square nuts" in the first post. Fastenal sells a 1" one that should do the job perfectly.
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0189531&ucst=t
    [​IMG]

Yankeetaco likes this.
  10. Sep 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
  11. Sep 20, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    It's Pricey, but I think Unistrut and B-Line Strut both come in Stainless Steel as well as most fittings.
    You'll have to check the other brands.
    Use Stainless Bolts/Screws
    Stainless is a necessity on this coast.

12. Sep 22, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    akdisney

akdisney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 V6
    Thule 422xt rack w/ XK1 rack adapter, uvw tool chest box, nerfBars
    Only thing I just found out is that the T-nut for 1/4"-20 are too small for the track rail.

I have buy some t-nut That made by dman597, out of aluminum.

Unistrut for the 1/4-20 some time do not sit flat in the Track.

I'm going see it cone shape Unistrut nut will sit flat in the track.

Stainless is a necessity on this west coast too also with salt air

Conenut1_4top_cc6264a0a652ec3ad8f0aa3e510924bf178b7c9b.jpg

Conenut1_4side_6e836231654d34050f6bc43b9d2e27fed75a68a1.jpg

Part number ZCM-100-1/4
    Steel cone nut All 1- 5/8 channl
    1 bag 5 Nuts Superstrut thomas& betts

13. Sep 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I ordered 5 different T-Slot nuts, T-Bolts and Square nuts from Fastenal yesterday. I'm supposed to get them tomorrow and I'll be able to post pictures and part numbers.

14. Sep 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    V-TRAIN

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    heck yea, can't wait. i have a fastenal in town.

15. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    These are the ones I ordered. There was a few more sizes that I wanted to try but they aren't stock so I'll see with that first.

This is my favorite and I really hopes it works out. Nothing like a nice big 1" nut to impress your friends.
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0189531&ucst=t

A Te-Co 7/8" T-Slot Nut. I'm not quite sure anymore that the T-Slot nut is a good option because the "lips" inside the rail is rounded, not square, and the T-Slot nut could just squeeze it and come through the rail if it's used to bolt something that requires a medium or high torque
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=302931-130481&ucst=t

Same as above but Jergens
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0349555&ucst=t

A big T-Bolt. The 15/16" wrench size should fit pretty tight in the rail.
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=20305&ucst=t

Just a big 7/8" nut
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=37990&ucst=t

16. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    Chachie

Chachie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD OR, 4x4, Auto, 6" Fabtech, 35's
    Locker mod, Anytime fog mod, always 400w mod.
    I just drilled and tapped a piece of 2"x1"x3/8" steel to mount my bed bar.

17. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    V-TRAIN

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    lol, i hope that 1" nut works. it will be perfect for what i need. i am going
    to rig up a way to hang my high-lift jack from my bed rail. i want it to be
    below my tool box. that would allow me to put the box close to the back of the bed. i have looked at all the threads about mounting them, most have a bolt sticking out of the rail.

18. Sep 24, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I received my nuts & bolts today, I will try them and post pictures tonight but I already know that the 1" bolt and 7/8" nut won't slide in because they're thick and bolts that hold the rail in place will block them.

This is the type of bolts that hold the rail.
    [​IMG]

I'm wondering if we could replace them with flat head bolts instead. would these be strong enough ?
    [​IMG]

Edit: Ooooops.........I didn't realize that there's no hole on the head for a screwdriver

19. Sep 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I updated the first post with part numbers, comments and pictures. I'm pretty satisfied with my tests, the 9/16" T-Slot nut is near perfect.

20. Sep 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
To Top