Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed rails attachments.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
EricGagne's Tacoma Gallery
Bed rails attachments hardware.

The information on what we can use to bolt stuff on our rails is scattered all across the forum. I think it'd be useful to many of us if we had a topic dedicated to that, now we have one

We can use this thread to post information on what works, what doesn't and what might, who makes it, where we can find it and what are the part numbers.

The 4 options that I know of are:

T-Slot Nuts

T-Bolts

Unistrut Nuts (w or w/o spring)

Square Nuts

If you know of other things that would work please post them or send me a PM and I'll add it to the list above. I will use the remainder of this post to maintain a list of manufacturers and distributors. Again feel free to send me any information you have about finding these things where you live and I'll update the list.

I'm in Canada and it's sometimes hard for us to find this kind of stuf. I know some of you guys found Unistrut nuts at home-depot but Canadian hardware stores don't have this kind of stuff, not in Montreal anyway. I will put (USA), (CAN) or (USA, CAN) beside manufacturers names to show if they have known distributors in those countries.

T-Slot Nuts
TE-CO (USA, CAN), Where to buy: Look up
Drillspot (Online, USA Only):
Ferro Technique
(Montreal, Qc, CAN)
Fastenal (Online, USA, CAN)
Jergens (USA, CAN)
See contact page
DrillSpot (USA Only)
T-Bolts
TE-CO (USA, CAN), Where to buy: Look up (USA, CAN)
Drillspot (Online, USA Only):
Ferro Technique
(Montreal, Qc, CAN)
Jergens (USA, CAN)
See contact page
DrillSpot (USA Only)
Unistrut
Unistrut (USA, CAN),
Check the "Contact Us" page for you country to find your closest distributor.
RoutLeco (Montreal, Qc, CAN)
Things that work

The big guys nut with modding
Fastenal Part Number: 0189531
The 1" wrench size makes it tight fit in the rail but unfortunately it's too thick to slide it in. Grinding about 1/4" or 5/16"off of it would probably be enough. It would also probably require access to a 5/8 tap to repair the tread if grinding breaks it.

The big guys Bolt with modding
Fastenal Part Number: 20305
With the 15/16" wrench size makes it the perfect fit for our rails. If fits in tight enough to prevent "jigging" up and down while being loose enough to make it easy to slide. Unfortunately it's too thick to go over the screws in the rails but a little grinding will take care of that easily. The thread is a tiny bit tight in the gap on the rail but it's not enough to damage either and it makes it more sturdy.

A combination of this bolt with the big nut above makes a nice big attachment.

I haven't ground the head yet and couldn't insert it any further because of the screw in the rail.

The 9/16" T-Slot Nut
Fastenal Part Numbers:
Jergens - 0349555 - Not tapped through
TE-CO - 302932-130481 Not Tapped Through
TE-CO - 3163956 - Tapped Through

Made by Jergens but other manufacturers make similar ones. This one is near perfect, the entire nut at 7/8" easily slides in the rail and clears the screws easily, no grniding is required. The 9/16 slot slize is almost the same as the gap on the rail and almost fills it. A 15/16" nut with a 5/8" slot would be perfect.

A nice bonus is that it also fits nicely in the notches on the rail which makes it even better to lock them in place and stop them from moving.

Things that don't work (or not too well)

The 1/2" T-Slot Nut
Fastenal Part Number: 302931-130481
This doesn't work very well, the Slot is to thin and it makes it loose in the rail, I wouldn't trust except for very very light stuff. The picture below shows how loose it is compared to the 9/16" above.

The 1/2" Hex Nut
Fastenal Part Number: 373990
Although it's a 7/8" wrench size it is much too small for the rail. It obviously fits the rail but its hexagonal shape allows it to turn inside which could ultimately loosen the bolt if there was a lot of vibration (like driving on washboard). A larger wrench size would prevent that but then it wouldn't fit in the rail so any hex nut is out.

I don't have any picture of the nut in the rail, I didn't think it was worth taking one since it doesn't work.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Crooked Beat is on a distinguished road
Crooked Beat's Tacoma Gallery
Unistrut style nuts (not official unistrut) are now at Lowes in Ontario. I am not sure if Lowes has made it to Quebec yet.

I used 1 inch stainless washers and 3/8"s bolts to attach my ladder rack. The 1 inch washers fit in the notches of the rails.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Ordering some T-Slots from McMaster Carr next week. Looked it up in a catalog, will post the stainless steel number next week. I looked online, but the SS ones I found at mcmaster.com only show partial threading.

1/2"-13 9/16" 7/8" 11/32" 3/4" 1 1/4"94762A464 7.14
Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The partial thread on the McMaster's is actually what prompted me to search other manufacturers. There's a note on TE-CO's site about their T-Slot nuts that says the last thread is incomplete. You need to get the part numbers that end with a T for tapped through ones.

41409 = Partial thread
41409T = Tapped through

@Crooked Beat: I'm surprised about your 1" whashers, I didn't think there was a full inch free inside the rail, I keep looking for 7/18 stuff. That's helpful, it give us more options.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #6

I wonder if some of these would work. I see three ways of using this if it fits.

First: All inside the rail with flange facing toward the inside of the bed.

Second: Inside the rail with the flange facing outside of the bed and the nut's head through the rail. That's the one I doubt most. I don't think they'll have one with a nut head small enough to fit in the gap but with a flange large enough to firmly rest on the inside of the rail.

Third: Either inward or outward but with the flange slipped inside the rail notches, assuming of course they have one that's thin enough.

I think the 41603 or 41604 might actually work.
http://www.te-co.com/Flange+Nuts-C-PG1049-C-.aspx

Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
A normal Carriage bolt works also. I used a two 1/2"x4" ones to mount my high lift. Easy to find also...
Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
http://www.drillspot.com/products/51...t-slot_nut?s=1

T-slot nut
Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Fagro is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Fagro's Tacoma Gallery
My local Home Depot has spring nuts (unistrut like) in the electrical dept. A bag of 5 was like $3.80. It takes a bit of cutting/grinding to trim them down to 1", but they worked great and are easy to get.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
PM - Pierced Tiger and have him add this to the cheap / free mod list.

Think that would be a good place for it, so we'll be able to find it later on.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
I just want to say thanks for finding what those tbolts are.... I have been looking for some time.. U GUYS ROCK
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
PM - Pierced Tiger and have him add this to the cheap / free mod list.

Think that would be a good place for it, so we'll be able to find it later on.
Done. PiercedTiger added it to the cheap mods list under "Gen 2 DIY's and Guides.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
Memphis is on a distinguished road
Memphis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagro View Post
My local Home Depot has spring nuts (unistrut like) in the electrical dept. A bag of 5 was like $3.80. It takes a bit of cutting/grinding to trim them down to 1", but they worked great and are easy to get.
Ahhhhhh....the electrical department!

I read in another tread that HD had these unistrut-type nuts....so I spent/wasted a pant load of time this morning looking in the bolt sction, the specialty bolt section, and then the strap aisle.

But I never thought to look in the ELECTRICAL DEPARTMENT!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
Crooked Beat is on a distinguished road
Crooked Beat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagro View Post
If only Toyota used the standard unistrut track.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Fagro is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Fagro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Beat View Post
If only Toyota used the standard unistrut track.
That would make it a little easier, but I think it would stand out like a sore thumb. The Unistrut is quite large.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
slick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Security Forces, 2002-2005
slick_711's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious to know which options of threading/bolt size are available in the T-slot nuts that will fit our bed rails. The only time I ever remember to measure the rail is the middle of the night when I'm online before bed.

Subscribed for updates. Thanks for bringing all the options together in one thread.

Products Discussed in this Thread