1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed rails attachments.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EricGagne, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sep 18, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    The information on what we can use to bolt stuff on our rails is scattered all across the forum. I think it'd be useful to many of us if we had a topic dedicated to that, now we have one :)

We can use this thread to post information on what works, what doesn't and what might, who makes it, where we can find it and what are the part numbers.

The 4 options that I know of are:

T-Slot Nuts
    [​IMG]

T-Bolts

[​IMG]

Unistrut Nuts (w or w/o spring)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Square Nuts

[​IMG]

If you know of other things that would work please post them or send me a PM and I'll add it to the list above. I will use the remainder of this post to maintain a list of manufacturers and distributors. Again feel free to send me any information you have about finding these things where you live and I'll update the list.

I'm in Canada and it's sometimes hard for us to find this kind of stuf. I know some of you guys found Unistrut nuts at home-depot but Canadian hardware stores don't have this kind of stuff, not in Montreal anyway. I will put (USA), (CAN) or (USA, CAN) beside manufacturers names to show if they have known distributors in those countries.

T-Slot Nuts
    TE-CO (USA, CAN), Where to buy: Look up
    Drillspot (Online, USA Only):
    Ferro Technique
    (Montreal, Qc, CAN)
    Fastenal (Online, USA, CAN)
    Jergens (USA, CAN)
    See contact page
    DrillSpot (USA Only)
    T-Bolts
    TE-CO (USA, CAN), Where to buy: Look up (USA, CAN)
    Drillspot (Online, USA Only):
    Ferro Technique
    (Montreal, Qc, CAN)
    Jergens (USA, CAN)
    See contact page
    DrillSpot (USA Only)
    Unistrut
    Unistrut (USA, CAN),
    Check the "Contact Us" page for you country to find your closest distributor.
    RoutLeco (Montreal, Qc, CAN)
    Things that work

The big guys nut with modding :)
    Fastenal Part Number: 0189531
    The 1" wrench size makes it tight fit in the rail but unfortunately it's too thick to slide it in. Grinding about 1/4" or 5/16"off of it would probably be enough. It would also probably require access to a 5/8 tap to repair the tread if grinding breaks it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big guys Bolt with modding :)
    Fastenal Part Number: 20305
    With the 15/16" wrench size makes it the perfect fit for our rails. If fits in tight enough to prevent "jigging" up and down while being loose enough to make it easy to slide. Unfortunately it's too thick to go over the screws in the rails but a little grinding will take care of that easily. The thread is a tiny bit tight in the gap on the rail but it's not enough to damage either and it makes it more sturdy.

A combination of this bolt with the big nut above makes a nice big attachment.

I haven't ground the head yet and couldn't insert it any further because of the screw in the rail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 9/16" T-Slot Nut
    Fastenal Part Numbers:
    Jergens - 0349555 - Not tapped through
    TE-CO - 302932-130481 Not Tapped Through
    TE-CO - 3163956 - Tapped Through

Made by Jergens but other manufacturers make similar ones. This one is near perfect, the entire nut at 7/8" easily slides in the rail and clears the screws easily, no grniding is required. The 9/16 slot slize is almost the same as the gap on the rail and almost fills it. A 15/16" nut with a 5/8" slot would be perfect.

A nice bonus is that it also fits nicely in the notches on the rail which makes it even better to lock them in place and stop them from moving.

[​IMG]

Things that don't work (or not too well)

The 1/2" T-Slot Nut
    Fastenal Part Number: 302931-130481
    This doesn't work very well, the Slot is to thin and it makes it loose in the rail, I wouldn't trust except for very very light stuff. The picture below shows how loose it is compared to the 9/16" above.
    [​IMG]

The 1/2" Hex Nut
    Fastenal Part Number: 373990
    Although it's a 7/8" wrench size it is much too small for the rail. It obviously fits the rail but its hexagonal shape allows it to turn inside which could ultimately loosen the bolt if there was a lot of vibration (like driving on washboard). A larger wrench size would prevent that but then it wouldn't fit in the rail so any hex nut is out.

I don't have any picture of the nut in the rail, I didn't think it was worth taking one since it doesn't work.

[​IMG]

2. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Subbed...looking forward to part numbers that actually work.

3. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    Unistrut style nuts (not official unistrut) are now at Lowes in Ontario. I am not sure if Lowes has made it to Quebec yet.

I used 1 inch stainless washers and 3/8"s bolts to attach my ladder rack. The 1 inch washers fit in the notches of the rails.

4. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    Taco.Tim

Taco.Tim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    Looking!
    Ordering some T-Slots from McMaster Carr next week. Looked it up in a catalog, will post the stainless steel number next week. I looked online, but the SS ones I found at mcmaster.com only show partial threading.

1/2"-13 9/16" 7/8" 11/32" 3/4" 1 1/4"94762A464 7.14

5. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    The partial thread on the McMaster's is actually what prompted me to search other manufacturers. There's a note on TE-CO's site about their T-Slot nuts that says the last thread is incomplete. You need to get the part numbers that end with a T for tapped through ones.

41409 = Partial thread
    41409T = Tapped through

@Crooked Beat: I'm surprised about your 1" whashers, I didn't think there was a full inch free inside the rail, I keep looking for 7/18 stuff. That's helpful, it give us more options.

attitudebrew likes this.
  6. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I wonder if some of these would work. I see three ways of using this if it fits.

First: All inside the rail with flange facing toward the inside of the bed.

Second: Inside the rail with the flange facing outside of the bed and the nut's head through the rail. That's the one I doubt most. I don't think they'll have one with a nut head small enough to fit in the gap but with a flange large enough to firmly rest on the inside of the rail.

Third: Either inward or outward but with the flange slipped inside the rail notches, assuming of course they have one that's thin enough.

I think the 41603 or 41604 might actually work.
    http://www.te-co.com/Flange+Nuts-C-PG1049-C-.aspx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    swendling12

swendling12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg Cab SR5 4 cyl 5spd 4x4
    A normal Carriage bolt works also. I used a two 1/2"x4" ones to mount my high lift. Easy to find also...

8. Sep 18, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
  9. Sep 18, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    Fagro

Fagro Active Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB SR5
    Extang Trifecta, LED Console lighting, VentShades
    My local Home Depot has spring nuts (unistrut like) in the electrical dept. A bag of 5 was like $3.80. It takes a bit of cutting/grinding to trim them down to 1", but they worked great and are easy to get.

Yankeetaco likes this.
  10. Sep 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
  11. Sep 18, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    PM - Pierced Tiger and have him add this to the cheap / free mod list.

Think that would be a good place for it, so we'll be able to find it later on.

12. Sep 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
  13. Sep 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    I just want to say thanks for finding what those tbolts are.... I have been looking for some time.. U GUYS ROCK

14. Sep 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Done. PiercedTiger added it to the cheap mods list under "Gen 2 DIY's and Guides.

15. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    Memphis

Memphis Active Member

Member:
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4 Short-bed
    Rear TSB, 5100 (0.85), Homelink Mirror, Pop-o-Lock, Front D-Rings, Clear Bra, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weather-Tech mats, Console Vault, DTRL
    Ahhhhhh....the electrical department! :confused::)

I read in another tread that HD had these unistrut-type nuts....so I spent/wasted a pant load of time this morning looking in the bolt sction, the specialty bolt section, and then the strap aisle. :goingcrazy:

But I never thought to look in the ELECTRICAL DEPARTMENT! :facepalm:

Yankeetaco likes this.
  16. Sep 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    If only Toyota used the standard unistrut track.

Buckley354 likes this.
  17. Sep 19, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    Fagro

Fagro Active Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB SR5
    Extang Trifecta, LED Console lighting, VentShades
    That would make it a little easier, but I think it would stand out like a sore thumb. The Unistrut is quite large.

18. Sep 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Very nice. Thanks for the info.

19. Sep 19, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Saw someone on TW, replaced stock track with Unistrut (Not Stainless though)
    Ya Might Search for it if interested

CC

20. Sep 19, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    slick_711

slick_711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off Road
    Avid light bar w/2x Hella 4000C, Bilstein 5100s, Demello sliders
    I'm curious to know which options of threading/bolt size are available in the T-slot nuts that will fit our bed rails. The only time I ever remember to measure the rail is the middle of the night when I'm online before bed. :eek:

Subscribed for updates. Thanks for bringing all the options together in one thread.

To Top