1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma or FJ

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HuntnTruk, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sep 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk [OP] Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    I know this is a biased place to ask but bare with me. I have always wanted a pickup just because every man should a pickup. I would use it for hunting. And hauling toys around. The problem is I'm in love with the fjs. I want to take a test drive with both. I am only interested in the manual trans. What do you guys know about the fj 6 speed. I know the tacos 6 speed is a little sketchy. Does the fj have the same faults? I am also intrigued that the fj is built in japan. Do you think the quality of build is any better than the taco. I am not convinced I truly "need" a pickup. So what do you think? Taco or FJ

2. Sep 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wanted the FJ... then I got in it and tried it out. Its got so many blind spots its ridiculous and the interior is too tight in back, and the control layout sucks. It was between a 4 door JK and the FJ... then I test drove the Tacoma and it was an easy decision. Only vehicle that ever changed my mind by test driving it. Just a well thought out vehicle... I hate the rear leaf springs, Hate its got too long a wheel base even in DCSB but other than the rear suspension and wheel base its fantastic. I do wish it could have the SUV style rear cargo area but the toppers are too ugly and heavy... going for a Truxedo roll top tonneau cover. The 4 Runner is really awesome... just too expensive and the body style now looks like total dog crap.

3. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    Both

4. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    tacoma92

tacoma92 Black Hole Sun

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    Gulf Shores, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Toyota Tacoma
    If you go with the fj be sure to lift it and put some mts on it bc those things are ugly without it. If u dont plan on doin that then jus get the tacoma

5. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
  6. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    Tim A

Tim A Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    If you're in love with FJs and won't be happy until you have one, then go for it. If you want to do the right thing, get a Tacoma LOL. Seriously, go for functionality not infatuation and you'll be happier over the long term. Kind of like wives, it's hard to find a pretty one (FJ) that does what you need it to do (Tacoma):D

7. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Well if you get the FJ where are you going to put the animals you hunted? Strap them to the roof?

Get the truck. Your username is HuntnTruk after all.

EDIT - I didn't know the FJs were built/assembled in Japan. Pretty cool.

8. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    A Tacoma is much easier to sell.... (chances are, you wont want to get rid of it :)) They hold their value like no other. I sat in a FJ at the auto show, it just didn't feel right on the inside. It was mentioned before, blind spots like crazy.

9. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    When it comes to the tranny they are the same!!!!! Both FJ and Tacoma 6 speed have the same issue with the throw out bearing.Good luck!!!

10. Sep 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    EricGagne

EricGagne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    I had an FJ for 3.5 years, changed it for a Taco just a few weeks ago. A pickup is more practical for me and that's why I got it but if I could have more than one and money was no object............I would have kept my FJ and the utility pickup would be a F150 or F250.

FJ has blind spots......................rubbish :D In 3.5 years I haven't hit anything or anyone because of blind spots............that includes all the trees I sometimes drove very close to ;) You just have to adjust your mirors the right way and be aware of your environment....................or if one needs to see everything around one can get a smart........................does that comment make me a smart......................ass ? :D

Humor put aside, bottom line is, if your heart is with the FJ then go with it, better have regrets than remorse ;)

11. Sep 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,

I agree I bot one of the first FJ's loved it, drove it for 2+ years. My needs changed and I bot the Tacoma for the "luggage space in back". I get tired of the blind spot BS every vehicle has blind spots learn where they are and drive appropriately!! Sorry just my 2 cents.

12. Sep 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    It sounds like you'd get more utility out of a Taco instead of the FJ. When I was shopping around for my next vehicle I was split between a Subaru STi (fun) or the Tacoma (utility). Now I'm here today and glad with choice I made. Maybe in the future I can get the other.

Decisions decisions...

13. Sep 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    I bought and owned an 07 FJ when they first came out. Other than a few blind spots, limited hauling space it was ok. Resale not so great and they are prone to broken windshields with present design. It sucks having to replace a w/s in this vehicle and they are not cheap. Don't ask me how I know... The interior plastic easily damaged from minor scratches. They were head turners when they first hit the new car market....now not so much. If you going to buy one, lurk on the FJ cruiser forum for a while. I still have a bunch of posts there under the name 07FJfan.

My personal choice is what I drive now. My advice, buy a well care for used FJ, there are plenty of them out there.

Other than that, buy what you like and like what you drive.:)

14. Sep 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk [OP] Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    I went to the dealer today an the FJ felt akward. The windshield is so far in front of you. I drove a manual taco and although it's a much different feel than a car manual transmission I liked it. I decided on the double cab offroad shortbed. Decided to sacrifice a little bed space for more cabin room. Thanks for the input guys.

Products Discussed in

To Top