Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma or FJ

Old 09-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Tacohead
HuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
HuntnTruk's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma or FJ

I know this is a biased place to ask but bare with me. I have always wanted a pickup just because every man should a pickup. I would use it for hunting. And hauling toys around. The problem is I'm in love with the fjs. I want to take a test drive with both. I am only interested in the manual trans. What do you guys know about the fj 6 speed. I know the tacos 6 speed is a little sketchy. Does the fj have the same faults? I am also intrigued that the fj is built in japan. Do you think the quality of build is any better than the taco. I am not convinced I truly "need" a pickup. So what do you think? Taco or FJ
Old 09-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted the FJ... then I got in it and tried it out. Its got so many blind spots its ridiculous and the interior is too tight in back, and the control layout sucks. It was between a 4 door JK and the FJ... then I test drove the Tacoma and it was an easy decision. Only vehicle that ever changed my mind by test driving it. Just a well thought out vehicle... I hate the rear leaf springs, Hate its got too long a wheel base even in DCSB but other than the rear suspension and wheel base its fantastic. I do wish it could have the SUV style rear cargo area but the toppers are too ugly and heavy... going for a Truxedo roll top tonneau cover. The 4 Runner is really awesome... just too expensive and the body style now looks like total dog crap.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Both
Old 09-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Black Hole Sun
tacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant futuretacoma92 has a brilliant future

Name: Forrest
tacoma92's Tacoma Gallery
If you go with the fj be sure to lift it and put some mts on it bc those things are ugly without it. If u dont plan on doin that then jus get the tacoma
Old 09-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
taco
Old 09-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
If you're in love with FJs and won't be happy until you have one, then go for it. If you want to do the right thing, get a Tacoma LOL. Seriously, go for functionality not infatuation and you'll be happier over the long term. Kind of like wives, it's hard to find a pretty one (FJ) that does what you need it to do (Tacoma)
Old 09-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you get the FJ where are you going to put the animals you hunted? Strap them to the roof?

Get the truck. Your username is HuntnTruk after all.

EDIT - I didn't know the FJs were built/assembled in Japan. Pretty cool.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
A Tacoma is much easier to sell.... (chances are, you wont want to get rid of it ) They hold their value like no other. I sat in a FJ at the auto show, it just didn't feel right on the inside. It was mentioned before, blind spots like crazy.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
When it comes to the tranny they are the same!!!!! Both FJ and Tacoma 6 speed have the same issue with the throw out bearing.Good luck!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
EricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricGagne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
EricGagne's Tacoma Gallery
I had an FJ for 3.5 years, changed it for a Taco just a few weeks ago. A pickup is more practical for me and that's why I got it but if I could have more than one and money was no object............I would have kept my FJ and the utility pickup would be a F150 or F250.

FJ has blind spots......................rubbish In 3.5 years I haven't hit anything or anyone because of blind spots............that includes all the trees I sometimes drove very close to You just have to adjust your mirors the right way and be aware of your environment....................or if one needs to see everything around one can get a smart........................does that comment make me a smart......................ass ?

Humor put aside, bottom line is, if your heart is with the FJ then go with it, better have regrets than remorse
Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
kbaum08 will become famous soon enough
kbaum08's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
I had an FJ for 3.5 years, changed it for a Taco just a few weeks ago. A pickup is more practical for me and that's why I got it but if I could have more than one and money was no object............I would have kept my FJ and the utility pickup would be a F150 or F250.

FJ has blind spots......................rubbish In 3.5 years I haven't hit anything or anyone because of blind spots............that includes all the trees I sometimes drove very close to You just have to adjust your mirors the right way and be aware of your environment....................or if one needs to see everything around one can get a smart........................does that comment make me a smart......................ass ?

Humor put aside, bottom line is, if your heart is with the FJ then go with it, better have regrets than remorse

I agree I bot one of the first FJ's loved it, drove it for 2+ years. My needs changed and I bot the Tacoma for the "luggage space in back". I get tired of the blind spot BS every vehicle has blind spots learn where they are and drive appropriately!! Sorry just my 2 cents.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
iSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
iSTIZO99's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like you'd get more utility out of a Taco instead of the FJ. When I was shopping around for my next vehicle I was split between a Subaru STi (fun) or the Tacoma (utility). Now I'm here today and glad with choice I made. Maybe in the future I can get the other.

Decisions decisions...
Old 09-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
Owned an 07 FJ

I bought and owned an 07 FJ when they first came out. Other than a few blind spots, limited hauling space it was ok. Resale not so great and they are prone to broken windshields with present design. It sucks having to replace a w/s in this vehicle and they are not cheap. Don't ask me how I know... The interior plastic easily damaged from minor scratches. They were head turners when they first hit the new car market....now not so much. If you going to buy one, lurk on the FJ cruiser forum for a while. I still have a bunch of posts there under the name 07FJfan.

My personal choice is what I drive now. My advice, buy a well care for used FJ, there are plenty of them out there.

Other than that, buy what you like and like what you drive.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
Tacohead
HuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
HuntnTruk's Tacoma Gallery
I went to the dealer today an the FJ felt akward. The windshield is so far in front of you. I drove a manual taco and although it's a much different feel than a car manual transmission I liked it. I decided on the double cab offroad shortbed. Decided to sacrifice a little bed space for more cabin room. Thanks for the input guys.